2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2394609 03/06/15 11:14 AM
C
Celdor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have recently realised I need to think through how to improve my sessions. I was reading the Pianist Corner: Share your favorite/most useful practice tools! and have come up with a list of points where I think I need to look at to achieve this. I'd be grateful if you give can some thoughts to it or even extra points. Perhaps this can become something useful for others.

Practice tempo. Start slowly and gradually build tempo.

Practice with metronome.

Listen to yourself.

Listen to your recordings.

Practice in sessions and make small breaks.
To increase effectiveness and maintain the focus on what should be practised.

Plan your practice routine

Prioritize your tasks.

Set minor and major goals: per day, per week.

Discipline yourself and practice what you need to practice.
Playing for enjoyment is not practising smile

Practice a piece in parts.
Don't play a piece from the beginning each time. Usually a piece is played well at the beginning and its quality degrades towards the end.

Work on specific sound.

Have a sense of direction while practising.

Last edited by ZikO; 03/06/15 11:15 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't have a teacher or any music education, so I only can tell my experience.

>Playing for enjoyment is not practicing
I think playing for enjoyment IS practicing too. There are so many points we can improve (like you described above) that every minute playing piano - even for enjoyment - IS practicing.

>Practice a piece in parts.
Not me. Of course I can insist in a harder session, but I try to see the piece as a whole so playing all the piece is my strategy.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Ziko ...

All good points.

However, I would (and do) leave room for doing what you feel like doing so that you enjoy the journey.

You can put so much discipline into your routine that you begin to dread it.

That would not be good.

If you do not enjoy things, you will not keep doing it long enough to reap the benefits of your efforts.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by ZikO
Practice tempo. Start slowly and gradually build tempo.
Don't build tempo. The more you practise it correctly and consistently the faster you'll be able to play it. Practise playing it better, not quicker. Speed will come with facility and familiarity.

Playing for enjoyment is not practising
Playing what you can already play is not effective practice but it's a great way to end a session.

Don't play a piece from the beginning each time. Usually a piece is played well at the beginning and its quality degrades towards the end.
When we practise from the beginning we practise the start up to the 'hard bit' we play the beginning well and hard bits poorly because we've played the beginning more often. Practise the hard bits more often and the quality will be more uniform.

"But I can't play the hard bits!"

Ah!

Richard
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Playing for enjoyment is not practising smile

Yes. Practicing is "learning, fixing, polishing"....Playing is what you do after you have learned, fixed, and polished. (Hopefully, that is...many people just play and play and play, mistakes and all, usually at high speed, and call it "practicing"...its one of the biggest obstacles piano teachers have in developing good study/practice habits with their students..)

Practice a piece in parts.

Again, yes.

Sometimes I practice a piece "backwards", i.e. take the last line or two and learn it, then the previous two lines, etc. All the time stitching them together with connecting notes/phrases so there is a learned continuity.

Its a strategy used by concert pianists when learning huge pieces that might take months to learn, so when they finally get to play the piece they are constantly moving forward into that which is the longest learned, which, hopefully, is strongest, rather than moving towards that which is newest, and thus likely to be less familiar/weaker.

This should be combined with identifying the hardest sections, and practicing them separately from the onset as they often require the most work.

There is more to it than this, but in a nutshell, this is a strategy works well.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
I don't have a teacher or any music education, so I only can tell my experience.

Playing for enjoyment is not practicing

I think playing for enjoyment IS practicing too. There are so many points we can improve (like you described above) that every minute playing piano - even for enjoyment - IS practicing.

I think the point is that you should practice what's hard rather than what makes you feel good. Remember that learning occurs at the point of resistance so in order to really learn something you should be doing what is just a little bit too hard and keep practicing it until it's easy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The best thing that happened to my practice is to focus on results, not on the amount of time I put in. That means a lot of self-directed goals where the "end" of practice is when I achieve my goal, not when the clock runs out.

It's gotten rid of that nagging feeling that I'm not practicing "enough" and turned practice into a fun activity that I look forward to.

The cool thing is, it creates a feedback loop where my lessons are better, because I'm practicing better, and then, practice becomes more effective, because the lessons have become more effective (because I'm practicing better).

The Philip Johnston books really helped with this change in my mindset.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Don't build tempo. The more you practise it correctly and consistently the faster you'll be able to play it. Practise playing it better, not quicker. Speed will come with facility and familiarity.

This is something I have been working on. What is a good strategy to play at tempo? Do you play at a slow tempo until it is consistent, then work it at tempo? or do you increment to tempo? I hope you know what I mean.

Currently I am working at a slow tempo until I play consistently. Then I have been slowing increasing tempo. But I am not sure if that is really a good way to go about it.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
If you do all of that would be great, but don't forget the most important is doing it while cultivating a joyful attitude. Only that can improve your practice at any point.

I watched this Ted Talk some weeks ago and it's quite interesting if someone want to know a bit more about how important is fun.
http://www.ted.com/talks/stuart_brown_says_play_is_more_than_fun_it_s_vital?language=en

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I try to play better and better.

I think I've mentioned Jim Clark before, the motor racing legend. He said when he wanted to go faster he just concentrated more. I find this is the better plan for the piano as well.

I have this in my tips and techniques scrap book but I didn't have a source other than "a concert pianist"; I think the thread was related to Hanon:
"Do not practice for speed! Practice for comfort. If you practice for speed you will always make mistakes. Your fingers will play fast when they are comfortable and in control. One does not practice for speed, you practice for control. Control = Speed. with control, you can then play fast. Your fingers need to know the fingering, develop muscle memory, your ear needs to hear every single note (chords and passages) and you consciously must know every note. When you have all of this, you have control. When you have control you have speed."

My best strategy for playing at tempo is to adapt the dynamics and touch to the speed I can attain. If I play softer I can make slower feel like the right tempo. I imagine an orchestra playing Barber's Adagio for strings and use that sound in my head to play.

I don't use a metronome to speed up but to hold myself back from speeding up. I set up a speed I can play to just with tapping my foot. I don't play along with a metronome. Speed comes from slow careful practise. When I've got the piece in my fingers I can just turn it on for an audience.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Excellent post, Richard. Thank you.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission