Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#239824 - 08/25/07 07:21 PM Blues scale fingering
Tango Offline

Loc: Albany,New York
Hello all.In the G Minor blues scale for example,the fingering for one octave is:1234,123 .But what fingering do I use if I want to play more than one octave.My 3rd finger end up on the next G.Do I slide my thumb(finger 1)up to the G where my 3rd finger was and begin again with this same fingering for as many octaves as I wish to play?If I use this technique,I have to be quick so as not to pause too long.Thank you,Linda

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#239825 - 08/25/07 07:51 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Linda
I think you posted this in the wrong forum. But
since you're here, technically you're fingering is correct but why would you want to play this repetitive blues scale for octave upon octave.
You should make a conscious effort to not improvise in this regimented linear structure. That is the first sign of a noncreative improvisation is to play modally as opposed to playing againest the changes.
If you're going for this modal improvisation exclusively ,that is a different story (Miles Davis). I take it improvisation is a new endeavor for you from the basis of your question.
Try not to improvise in this manor (find a credible jazz piano teacher ,you're in New York Good luck!
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#239826 - 08/25/07 10:01 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

After sitting at the piano.I take that back as for your fingering being correct. You should play 123 123 123 Forget the 4th finger if you are wanting to play this over several octaves but again why would you
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145

#239827 - 08/25/07 10:25 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Vince in Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Pbroker you play also? I thought you were a just purvayer of Steinway (and a few other good pianos). Cool!

#239828 - 08/26/07 12:55 AM Re: Blues scale fingering
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Vince in Vegas
I played for 40+ years. I was a hired gun for many national artists throughout my career. I've played from the Kennedy Center to Philadelphia Spectrum and some not to great places in between.
It's hard to find quality time to actually practice,practice and not just play though I don't have a shortage of great pianos to play. After all who would buy a piano from someone that didn't play. Because of our pianos, I must say I deal with some of the most prominent Jazz and Classical artists. After all the musician especially needs a deal more than anyone.
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145

#239829 - 08/26/07 09:46 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Tango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
Linda
since you're here, technically you're fingering is correct but why would you want to play this repetitive blues scale for octave upon octave.
You should make a conscious effort to not improvise in this regimented linear structure. That is the first sign of a noncreative improvisation is to play modally as opposed to playing againest the changes.
If you're going for this modal improvisation exclusively ,that is a different story (Miles Davis). I take it improvisation is a new endeavor for you from the basis of your question.
Try not to improvise in this manor (find a credible jazz piano teacher ,you're in New York Good luck! [/b]

#239830 - 08/26/07 09:47 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Tango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
Linda
Try not to improvise in this manor (find a credible jazz piano teacher ,you're in New York Good luck! [/b]

#239831 - 08/27/07 06:41 AM Re: Blues scale fingering
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
pianobroker has great jazz chops! I've heard it in person.

I too was wondering what the point of the question was as I can't think of any reason to play a "blues" scale as a scale. Thus having a fingering question did not make sense.

#239832 - 03/20/08 10:24 AM Re: Blues scale fingering
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
I found this Blues scale fingering chart (excerpt from Metaphors For The Musician by Randy Halberstadt) which should answer your question.

http://www.shermusic.com/images/met_208.pdf

Rodney

#239833 - 03/20/08 05:53 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Tango Offline

Thank you so very much Rodney.I made a copy of the chart.The chart is well laid out and I have never seen a chart like this,Tango

#239834 - 03/20/08 07:34 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
I play by ear as a general rule, and I’ve been particularly interested in Blues piano lately. My favorite keys are C major and G major for blues.

I just wrote a neat blues tune called “Play it like you want to”. Maybe one of these days I will record it and post it on YouTube so you all can hear it \:D .

Best regards,

Rickster

#239835 - 03/21/08 04:32 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Tango Offline

Rickster,I am self taught.In my opinion,your playing by ear is the best way to learn.When you can hear a tone,you will know it and learn it.Then you would'nt need a teacher or even the music.Yes,please let me know when you post your tune to My Space because I want to hear it.Can you send it to me hear as a link?Best regards,Tango

#239836 - 03/21/08 04:55 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Rickster,I am self taught.In my opinion,your playing by ear is the best way to learn.When you can hear a tone,you will know it and learn it.Then you would'nt need a teacher or even the music.
Playing by ear is a great skill.Being able to read music is also a great skill. Just think of the unlimited sources of material available to you if you can do BOTH. The top A list studio session players,though improvisation may be called for have to be able to read no matter what type of music.
A great teacher is invaluble. While you're trying to figure it out on your own,a great teacher,not a great player can raise your proficiency level 10
times over. "I wish I practice what I preach" OH WELL!
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145

#239837 - 03/21/08 05:14 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Tango Offline

Thank you Pianbroker,Tango

#239838 - 03/21/08 06:17 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Hello Tango!

I have a slightly different approach to it.

Right Hand Ascending:1,2,3,4 switch back to 1,2,
switch back to 1,2,3,4. Descending should be the same going backward.
Remember as you improvise with the scale the notes order will completely change. Therefore as general rule I'll use 2 and 4 for the black keys while playing within the scale.
The combinations are unlimited one can argue that five could also work. However just to have a structure I’ll recommend you to practice with 2,4, on the black keys. \:\)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#239839 - 03/21/08 06:18 PM Re: Blues scale fingering
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Tango,

I’d love to play my blues tune for you when I get set up to record my playing. I would also love to hear you and piano-broker play. A good way to learn is to watch and hear others play. I have really enjoyed learning to play by ear, although my plans are to learn to sight read one day. I can sight read a little but I can usually rip out a tune I have heard before with good precision the first time around playing by ear (if there are not any sophisticated cord changes \:D ).

I’m having a boat load of fun learning to play the blues. Also, I like anything “Boogie-Woogie”. I also like old fashioned southern Gospel, 1950’s and 60’s rock (think Jerry Lee Lewis \:D ), classic country, pop, jazz and a little classical. I like anything Ray Charles and particularly “Georgia on my mind”. I play Georgia on my mind in F major.

Take care and best regards,

Rickster

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marche Funbre d'une Marionette
by Minnesota Marty
42 minutes 30 seconds ago
Tired and groggy
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:26 AM
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
Today at 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
Today at 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (36251, accordeur, 255, 46 invisible), 1196 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157665 Topics
2315836 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission