2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Is this possible on a 6 year old Steinway B? Just purchased it in January and while it sounded wonderful in the factory, I thought it sounded slightly out of tune in the store. I should have said something, but didn't. Once delivered, it worsened as time went on. The tech came out and tuned it, but there is still an area in the middle C octave range that makes me cringe. It's overly bright, and after I depress a key, the decay sounds like it's going out of tune. Is that possible? This is the most played area of the piano. What could this be caused by?

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Not everyone who tunes does it well. Also, after 6 years, a piano should have other work done to it, including regulating and voicing.

Semipro Tech
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Many times customers hear other problems and contribute it to tuning. Have the tech come out again and explain to him politely but firmly, what you hear that bothers you. Be specific to what you hear and not what you think you hear. e.g. say things like, "This note sounds off/different/louder/brighter/duller/more wobbly than the others." Avoid trying to tell the tech what the problem is. E.g. don't say, "This note is not in tune. This note needs voicing."

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, Mark and BDB. My description to the tuner was that the piano sounded really out of tune, to which he said it was out of tune, but not that bad. I described some keys as "dead" sounding, notes that seemed to get louder and tinnier (is that a word? smile ) when played repeatedly, and a section of keys that sounded overly bright and tinny.

M
M
Seems like you're describing voicing. After a piano is brought to pitch and tuned, a piano can still sound 'out of tune' when voicing is off.

Associate Member, PTG
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Oh, I sure hope that's what is needed, and nothing more serious. I've had a ton of misfortunate experiences in the past with prior pianos.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The factory is selling a 6 year old B ? Hmmmm. Winter weather, humidity changes, and perhaps lack of maintenance in the past probably all factor in. It can take several tunings to settle a piano in a new environment. You might want to get a referral for an experienced Steinway Technician to go over the piano. It will cost a bit, but will be worth it.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Bob
The factory is selling a 6 year old B ? Hmmmm. Winter weather, humidity changes, and perhaps lack of maintenance in the past probably all factor in. It can take several tunings to settle a piano in a new environment. You might want to get a referral for an experienced Steinway Technician to go over the piano. It will cost a bit, but will be worth it.

Yes, actually it was a consignment piano. Owners are upgrading. Where can I get a referral for an experienced Steinway Tech?

K
K
Just guesses but could it be?
dead" sounding- wrong hammer blow distance and hammer going to close the strings?
tinnier sounding - broken string?

New in the game, but just a guess without seeing or hearing it

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by kgulbrand
Just guesses but could it be?
dead" sounding- wrong hammer blow distance and hammer going to close the strings?
tinnier sounding - broken string?

New in the game, but just a guess without seeing or hearing it

Diagnosing anything without seeing the instrument is always iffy, but to have an inkling one needs to be aware of Steinway NY tone regulation protocol and awareness to the percentage of regulation shift on such a new instrument. Unless the piano has been subjected to significant wear the likelihood of regulation (particularly blow distance) being so far off as to present tonal issues isn't that likely. A short blow distance would also have other manifested regulation problems.

Also, while some degree of wear must be presumed with voicing issues in the middle, a broken string isn't likely to make a brighter sound. Usually, in the case of a broken outside string, the tone will be more subdued with the hammer striking a little off square. A 6 year old Steinway shouldn't be getting sold with missing strings. However a newly replaced string still stabilizing might give that illusion. At anyrate the OP didn't mention strings being replaced.

My hunch is that the final prep and voicing (and/or maintenance voicing) did not take place and the piano was broken in by a more novice pianist who didn't go too much beyond the middle of the piano. Steinway NY hammers take a bit of effort to get a reasonable tone out of and maintain. Factory prevoicing with only initial hammer hardening and a beginning pianist would put this instrument in just the tonal state described... a thin sounding middle with notes getting brighter as played repeatedly, and dead or thuddy sounding notes other places. Suzuki students can cause havoc to the voicing.

With that said, I think BDB has nailed it... time for fine regulation and voicing.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks SM. There was no prep done other than some cabinet refinishing due to water damage (spilled drink on lid). I have no idea what work was done per the original owners.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Can anyone tell me how to find an experienced Steinway piano tech? In addition to the piano still sounding out of tune in some areas, dead in others, now a key is continuing to sound (A2) for about 30 seconds after playing it. frown

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Call your selling dealer. They will have names. If a key is sounding for 30 seconds then you have a sticking damper. Since that happened since delivery that could mean that your home is rising in humidity causing sticking or it could mean that dryness could cause a damper to not seat right causing almost the same thing.

This winter has been particularly rough on pianos all over the east coast with the subzero temps causing acute dryness in many homes unless you have very good control of the humidity. Now with spring coming and so much rain the humidity will cause changes in the pitch as well as sticking keys and dampers. You just need to have someone come and go over the tuning and regulation.

Prior to the tech visit it would be helpful if you get a hygrometer and take some readings to see where you are in your home. You should be keeping the piano somewhere around 45% year round in order to avoid radical tuning and action changes. A hygrometer is only about $30.

All pianos will change in tuning as soon as they acclimate to the new atmosphere in your home. That is to be expected, even if the piano is not brand new. That usually takes about 3-6 weeks so the timing on your piano going out of tune is in keeping with that.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thank you, Sally. It just so happens that it was raining all day yesterday when the culprit key was sticking. I purchased a humidity reader at Lowe's and except for 2 days since the piano's delivery, the range has stayed within the normal range. Not sure if this is the best instrument to check humidity or not. I paid $10 for it.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...elshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission