2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Hi all. This is my first post. We have 2 daughters who have been taking lessons for about 4 years. They are preteens. We had a garage sale Story and Clark that turned out to be untunable. We know we want to get the best we can for our $1000-$1200 budget. We have to leave some room for moving and tuning costs over above that. I have had a hard time finding used pianos on craigslist that are less than 30-60 years old in our price range. Our best prospects have been:
1969 Baldwin Acrosonic console, from piano tech including moving $1500
1984 Everett console from private owner $895, negotiable
My girls liked a Ivers and Pond console ($675 all inclusive from dealer) but it was from 1951 and there was some damage on the case although it was still nice looking.
I have learned a lot from reading posts on PW. Thank you for any insight you may have. YES, I will have a tech check out anything I buy first esp. from private owner.
The Baldwin looks to be in great shape. The Everett had no mechanical problems except one key seemed slightly lower than others.
THANKS

Last edited by BohemianNewby; 03/16/15 12:04 AM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I've heard great things about the Acrosonics, and also Ivers and Ponds. Age in and of itself isn't bad, just means that you need to be sure it's in good shape (been maintained properly and otherwise well-cared for, can hold a tune, etc). And you're on the right track having a tech look them over for you. Regarding the one for sale by a tech, be sure to ask him about warranty (or have another tech look it over).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome to the forum!

I think you have found several good candidates in your price range. The individual condition of each piano is the major factor when considering preowned pianos. Of course we can't really determine that online. But using some deductive reasoning, I would lean toward the Baldwin.

Let me explain: The Baldwin already caught the technician's attention as something worth his time (if he took it in trade or whatever, who knows). He also thought it was something that had market value. I think it it still prudent to have an independent tech evaluate.... however... at this price if you can feel a strong level of trust with this tech (does he stand by the piano?) you might be able to save that money. I wouldn't hire a tech to evaluate a $1500 piano I was buying from a technician, but I have a higher tolerance for risk than some people.

I don't know where the 1984 Everette was manufactured. Try to determine this before moving ahead with that piano.

Regarding the Ivers and Ponds, how much do you care about that cabinet damage?

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the quick responses. Initially I did not think I could consider exterior appearance and still get a good piano technically in my price range. The Baldwin cabinet is nearly flawless. The Everett has a few defects but nothing that would bother me. The styling is okay but looks a little more dated rather than classic. The Ivers and Pond was my favorite as well in style. The defects I could overlook. The main concern was it being 64 years old. We couldn't detect any mechanical problems or problems in the sound or tone. The dealer provides a 1-year warranty but it only covers mechanicals and labor. So I am just concerned about it lasting past the next 5-6 years. I would like to have at least 10 good years minimum. It did occur to me at $675 we might have money to do a few repairs in the future if it isn't anything too severe. I just want a tunable, enjoyable piano for them. We don't want another untunable piano to get rid of.

How much should I consider age v. brand v. current condition? Are the prices they are offering reasonable? I have seen many newer pianos on this forum in this price range. Should I wait and let these pass by? Or are newer used pianos more scarce these days?

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi,

What is the height of the Baldwin? So many of the Acrosonics are not consoles, but are spinets and that would be too much for one of those.

Good luck in your search.

David

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
In the age range of those pianos, condition is more significant than brand or age. But as supersport mentions, height is significant for uprights, generally the taller the better regarding their musical quality, so perhaps that could be a factor in helping you choose between them.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
OP Offline
B
That is a good point. The Baldwin we are looking at is 41" high. I am not sure I have the exact height of the others. I will look into that.

I should also mention that the Ivers and Pond has had the hammers reconditioned and the action regulated after that. It was also maintained in tune fairly well. I just wonder if that was a last ditch effort of the previous owner. I guess only a tech could tell me that by looking at it. If it does check out mechanically would it be worth it or is it too risky because of age?
THANKS

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The Everett is the best of those pianos. The Acrosonic would have a spinet action; the Everett would not, aside from being much newer.

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had an Everett console of that era, made in Michigan, and was very happy with it. Get a tech to check that one out first.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BDB
The Everett is the best of those pianos. The Acrosonic would have a spinet action; the Everett would not, aside from being much newer.
If the Acrosonic is a spinet, cross it off the list. That is too much money for a spinet.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
OP Offline
B
The acrosonic in this case is not a spinet but it does have a drop action. It is 41". The Everett is 40". It is the dated styling of the Everett that seems to be bothering members of my family (and me somewhat). Maybe it will grow on us. For now I will wait another week and see if we can find anything that we like both in sound and looks. Is this too much to ask for our budget?

B
OP Offline
B
Why does it matter where the Everett in particular was manufactured? I am curious.
Kathy

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by BohemianNewby
Why does it matter where the Everett in particular was manufactured? I am curious.
Kathy

Follow link to narrative in the Piano Buyer annual supplement.

http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/169.html

Since 1995 pianos bearing the Everett name have been built in China. They are not the same as the higher quality instruments built in South Haven Michigan until 1989 - first by the Everett Company, then by Yamaha, and finally by Baldwin through a contract with Yamaha.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
BDB Offline
B
A drop action makes it a spinet in my book. You do not want it because the action is too difficult to work on.

Semipro Tech
B
OP Offline
B
Do you believe that the Everett's were quality pianos until 1995 or are the Georgia made Everetts also of questionable quality under Baldwin? How is Baldwin's reputation during that period?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I saw two threads - one says the Everett is from 1948, the other from 1984.

I would be much more concerned about a 60+ year old piano sitting around unused / untuned than a 30 year old piano. But in either case you should have a tech inspect the piano to confirm it is tunable, so as to avoid ending up with another boat anchor.

It may take a while, but you should be able to find a good playable / usable piano for this price. I paid not too much more for a tunable / playable Kimball 6' grand a couple of months ago (though it has cosmetic blemishes on the case).

If you're shopping your local Craigslist / classifieds, keep in mind that private party seller prices are negotiable. You can usually bid 10-15% under the asking price pretty safely, particularly if the piano didn't sell immediately. If you are a skilled haggler you may do even better than that. In any case, you're more likely to get a discount from asking price if the piano has been languishing on the market a while, or the seller needs to move and doesn't want to pay $200+ to move the piano with them.

Colin Dunn

Online Content

Originally Posted by BohemianNewby
Do you believe that the Everett's were quality pianos until 1995 or are the Georgia made Everetts also of questionable quality under Baldwin? How is Baldwin's reputation during that period?

Just to clarify, Everett's were not built between 1989 and 1995. Baldwin built them in Georgia under contract with Yamaha from 1986 to 1989. Prior to that they were built in Michigan. My understanding is that Baldwin's quality was fine in the late 1980s and well into the 1990s. The older Everetts - like the one I purchased new in the mid 1970s - were considered GOOD to VERY GOOD instruments. They weren't top of the line by any means - BUT they were solidly built and could take lots of abuse. When I was in grad school in the early 1970s the assistant dean of the music department told me he purchased Everetts for the practice rooms because of their durability.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
OP Offline
B
Colin
You are right. I do have two posts. One is for a 1984 and the other for a 1948 Everett. I thought it might be confusing! The older Everett has a slightly nicer cabinet but we have decided to eliminate it based on age. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a period where the quality of Everetts may have spiked so much that they are worth buying that old.

How would you all compare a 1979 Story and Clark to the 1969 Baldwin Acrosonic? I have confirmed that the Baldwin is a drop action. Which if either of these should I still consider and why? The S&C has my interest because the cabinet matches my furniture better than the 1984 Everett. I know I am getting picky now but we will be living with it for a long time hopefully.

Is 1969 too old even in a Baldwin Acrosonic? I have heard that these were well built even for a spinet style action.

THANKS! I am hoping to make a decision this weekend. I have gotten such a good education from the threads in this forum and The Piano Book!!! I know more about pianos than any non-piano player should! I am glad though. Now I will understand much better the importance of taking proper care of my instrument. Thanks all for your insights and advice. I am still all ears!

B
OP Offline
B
MusicPassion/BDB
Does that fact that it is a console 40" make any difference in your opinion. Or are you just saying because they are more difficult to work on and potentially less responsive to the player, any spinet action is best avoided?
Thanks

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
At first, I thought the 1948 vs. 1984 thing was a typo (reversed digits). That's why I mentioned the other thread, which has garnered no replies.

In the price range you're shopping in, brand names are less important than getting the biggest / best piano for the money. You won't find any high-end premium makes in this price range at all, so best to get the tallest / best-sounding / best-looking upright you can, and disregard brand names.

I would think you should look at the 1979 Story & Clark and the 1984 Everett. The 1948 Everett is likely old enough to need significant work (unless you are advised differently by a technician). And I would say to avoid the Baldwin Acrosonic; the spinet action is inferior to the full-size upright action, and harder for technicians to work on. Some people like the Acrosonic, but I think that's in more like the $500 price range where other options are few and far between.

So in the end, I would rank your options in this order (though actual inspection / playing of the pianos will finalize the decision)...

1. 1984 Everett
2. 1979 Story & Clark
3. 1948 Everett
4. Baldwin Acrosonic spinet (of any vintage)

Colin Dunn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission