2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Hi folks!

My new August Förster 170 is less than one year old and equipped with ebony black keys made by the German Laukhuff.

Unfortunately, when I clean them with a damped cloth(only water, no alcool or cleaner), the towel gets black as the color wears off. Now, the keys already look like this:

[Linked Image]

What's wrong? Is this a normal behaviour of ebony keys?

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
That should not be normal. Contact your dealer. It's most likely an issue of warranty.

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you wimpiano.

I have already talked to my dealer and to some guy from August Förster directly.
The latter argued that the black color of the ebony keys is generally only be to be sweat-resistant but not completely water-resistant, so that it may wear off if the cloth is (too) wet or if too much pressure is applied.

On the other hand, my dealer tried it on a Grotrian (which also has keys made by Laukhuff) and nothing happened.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Disappointing that a high-end piano maker would try to weasel out on this!

I thought water was about the gentlest possible thing you could use to clean piano keys. There are people applying spray cleaners, toothpaste, polishes, etc. to other piano keyboards and not having the finish dissolve and rub off the black keys!

Colin Dunn
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by hummelalkan
Thank you wimpiano.

I have already talked to my dealer and to some guy from August Förster directly.
The latter argued that the black color of the ebony keys is generally only be to be sweat-resistant but not completely water-resistant, so that it may wear off if the cloth is (too) wet or if too much pressure is applied.

On the other hand, my dealer tried it on a Grotrian (which also has keys made by Laukhuff) and nothing happened.

Sweat is way more aggressive then just water..

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Looks to me to have been ebonized spruce. The A.F. website under the 170's spec's do not say anything about ebony wood keys, but says the keys are spruce.

H
OP Offline
H
Förster also wrote that the keys were produced according to German norm "DIN 53160 - schweiß.- und speichelfest" which literally means sweat and saliva resistant. crazy

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Guapo Gabacho
Looks to me to have been ebonized spruce. The A.F. website under the 170's spec's do not say anything about ebony wood keys, but says the keys are spruce.

That sounds interesting because I already had my doubts about the keys being made of real ebony since on the edge of some keys there are some scratches. But ebony is said to be very hard and durable.

However, in the letter A.F. sent to my dealers, they claim that the keys are made of ebony.

H
OP Offline
H
I just see, that on the bottom of their homepage it says

"Others
fallboard brake and black keys of ebony wood"

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I see that now too. My bad, but I still think they cheated somewhere.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
from http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/gaboon-ebony/

>Color/Appearance: Heartwood is usually jet-black, with little to no variation or visible grain. Occasionally dark brown or grayish-brown streaks may be present.

The grain that seems to be there in your photo is very visible.

Or it is laminate, but why would one laminate hard wood to start with?

The ebony black keys on my pretty old Grotrian look still jet black without any visible grain at all. Like plastic but a bit matte, like that left key in the photo

The left key looks different than the other two?

Last edited by wouter79; 03/17/15 05:50 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
In guitars and violins it's very common for streaky ebony to be over dyed to try to even out the color. Perfect ebony is scarce and expensive. Your A.F. keys are probably aniline dyed which is water soluble.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The solution is probably to dye them again or with something else. If AF doesn't have recommendations of what and how, perhaps Aug. Laukhuff can advise you. I would think that AF would cover the cost of this service under warranty if you only used a damp water cloth and not a stronger solvent. I see they also have a contact page on their website.

I had a customer with a different brand of piano who carefully washed her hands and applied lotion before she played. The lotion proved to be the culprit when color started transferring from the sharps. Ultimately, she had to adjust her routine.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
[...]I had a customer with a different brand of piano who carefully washed her hands and applied lotion before she played. The lotion proved to be the culprit when color started transferring from the sharps. Ultimately, she had to adjust her routine.

"Customer" or "idiot"? What pianist would put lotion on his/her hands and then sit down to play? Wouldn't it be obvious that the lotion would rub off onto the keys, and, if nothing else, cause them to become slippery?

That happened to me once. A young woman in a master class, about to play, put lotion on her hands and played - sort of. Then I was to play after her, but the keys were so slick from her lotion that I could not play.

Sheesh!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
If indeed all you used to clean the keys is tap water, the excuses provided by August Förster are ludicrous. Any piano technician worthy of the title would find such excuses laughable.

This is inexcusable conduct for a top-tier piano manufacturer. This is an August Förster grand piano, not a "People's Republic Firewood & Piano Cooperative #13" spinet!

You said you received a letter from AF. Was the letter from AF's distributor - the German-American Trading Company in Tampa, Florida - or was it from August Förster GMBH in Lobau, Germany? You might want to consider contacting Annekatrin Förster directly about this matter. It's not a big company, and I believe she speaks English.

I suggest you go back to your local dealer and insist upon a solution, either from the dealer or from AF. If no solution is forthcoming, contact the Better Business Bureau or your state or local consumer affairs office. You could also contact the consumer hotline of a local TV station.

If all else fails, contact an attorney. The dealer just might fix your problem so as to be rid of you.

Last edited by Almaviva; 03/17/15 09:08 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Thank you all for you responses and helpful advice.

I live in Switzerland and have already contacted my dealer two months ago. But so far, nothing really happened. Förster is still looking into the issue and seeks to find a solution with Laukhuff. They offered me to replace the sharps by plastic keys from Laukhuff they used to build in their pianos years ago. But somehow it seems like a bad idea to switch to an inferior standard.

Unfortunately, I'm still not sure if it is a common behaviour of real ebony keys to lose color. Does this issue arise with other brands such as S&S or Bösendorfer?

On this page http://www.pianoteile-baumgaertel.d...T4&ecskey=p83jcbool0nj1pcm88hgn2oig2 one can buy water-based black dye for sharps but also a finish for black keys. Maybe the latter is missing on my piano?

Last edited by hummelalkan; 03/19/15 04:09 PM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission