Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (Abby Pianoman, albumblatter, Amosdoll, accordeur, 36251, 31 invisible), 1210 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2400840 - 03/21/15 01:12 AM Kawai RX-3 lower string buzz...
BoisePhil Offline

Loc: Boise, ID
So my "new" 2010 RX-3 has been in my home for about 5 weeks. I've had it tuned twice and some regulation done on it. My technician seems to be very competent and is in high demand in my area. The second tuning was because I was complaining about it being out of tune after only a few days. I guess I'm very sensitive to the "unisons" being out and he offered to teach me how to do those. I'll take him up on that soon.

HOWEVER...I do have the lower string "metallic buzz" that was discussed in a long thread back in 2008 or 2009. It drives me a little nuts. It's one or two strings primarily...the second F below middle C and the F# next to it. Above and below those two notes the sound smooths out nicely. The manager at the store where I bought the piano said it sounded like it might be a damper wire rubbing on a string when the note is struck hard. My technician says no and that it's a voicing issue. I hear the metallic rattle when I hit the key F (forte). There are a few notes in the same area that border on having the rattle but I could also call them just "brighter".

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1162503/2.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1160501/1.html

So I know that these threads were closed back in '09 but was there ever a consensus on what was causing that? I read it again tonight and it was quite a heated discussion at times.

I'd really love to know if I'm going to have to live with this or will it get fixed. It's NOT my imagination. I think the "settling in" argument is bunk. None of the 86 of the other keys have this metallic ringing.

Phil

#2400866 - 03/21/15 04:20 AM Re: Kawai RX-3 lower string buzz... [Re: BoisePhil]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hello Phil and welcome to Piano World!
I am sorry to hear about the buzzing note problem with your "new" Kawai RX-3 piano.

Your piano should be still under the Kawai transferable warranty and if the problem is not resolved to your satisfaction, you should contact Kawai America.

According to your piano technician, the problem can be put right by voicing. Why then has he not remedied the problem which affects only 2 notes?

Of course, after 5 weeks your piano should have settled and your technician should have advised you of any signs of humidity or temperature problems in the placement of your piano.

Pianos can be temperamental when moved, but instability is usually manifested in tuning insecurity.

Did you notice the problematic notes when you were trying it at the dealer's?

An experienced, competent piano technician should be able to analyze the problem quickly, but we can merely speculate about the cause. I hope that it can be resolved promptly.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (03/21/15 04:23 AM)

#2401114 - 03/21/15 10:08 PM Re: Kawai RX-3 lower string buzz... [Re: BoisePhil]
Burnside Piano Offline

Loc: Franklin TN
Your tech may well be on the right track. RX-series grand are fabulous, but they sometimes have a few notes in the bass that require upper shoulder needling; once that's done correctly the tone smooths right out. I find it most commonly among the single wound strings in the 5' GM-series grands, but it can occur in the higher-end models as well.

Ask your tech also to check the string leveling in the wound unisons and to make sure the strings are seated on the bridge.

#2401129 - 03/21/15 11:17 PM Re: Kawai RX-3 lower string buzz... [Re: BoisePhil]
BoisePhil Offline

Loc: Boise, ID
Thanks guys. I hope it's as simple as you describe. Robert, my technician didn't work on those notes while he was here because he had spent his time tuning, regulating ( a few hammers were misaligned with their back-checks), and working on after touch issues. He said he would work on the voicing when he comes back for the next tuning. That was fine with me. Thanks for the input!

#2401156 - 03/22/15 01:04 AM Re: Kawai RX-3 lower string buzz... [Re: BoisePhil]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Thank you Phil. There is a Kawai RX voicing manual which is available on the internet and that mentions deep needle voicing in shoulder of the hammer to release tone and increase sustain. Kent's comments about string leveling and the seating of the strings on the bridge and other termination points must also be considered. No doubt your technician will have a repertoire of remedies to improve and hopefully cure these irritations.

All the best!

Robert.

#2403127 - Yesterday at 10:19 AM Re: Kawai RX-3 lower string buzz... [Re: BoisePhil]
Steve Senseney Offline

I had a buzzing bass string. It was because a little glue or lacquer had stiffened the surface of the damper.

Check to see if you have the same buzz when the damper is raised.

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Books for Piano Technique
by Batuhan
03/28/15 11:38 PM
Yamaha P-90 Power Issue
by JlMoriart
03/28/15 09:29 PM
Yamaha M217 age?
by Cy Shuster, RPT
03/28/15 03:58 PM
Yamaha DP stuck keys
by Dwscamel
03/28/15 03:50 PM
Crazy recordings
by Hakki
03/28/15 02:52 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,687 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,783 Topics
2,389,618 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission