2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Is there a difference between the Steinway in the "Grand Pianos" package and the "American Concert D"? Their website is confusing to me.

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Steinway from the Grand Pianos bundle is a German Steinway, the other is an American one. The German is a little more mellow.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
R
OP Offline
R
I see... Totally different piano, then. Hmmm. Thanks!

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rachel J
Is there a difference between the Steinway in the "Grand Pianos" package and the "American Concert D"? Their website is confusing to me.

The American Concert D - the one which has received the most acclaim - is sold separately from the bundle which happens to include a different Steinway.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks, dire tonic. smile

I am setting myself a crazy goal of trying to alter Pianoteq until it has the tone of a real American Steinway. I really think it can be done so there is the best of both worlds -- the tone of a great sample library with the responsiveness of a modeled software piano.

I think I can do it if I pick the best modeled Steinway and load it with Pianoteq so I can switch from one to the other as I make my modifications. Pianoteq is SO flexible that I'm sure by putting enough time into it, it can be made to mimic any sound you want.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I much prefer practicing using Pianoteq. The sampled libraries don't behave correctly for me. Especially when pedaling is involved, I find Pianoteq 5 is really good at mimicking the behavior of a grand piano, and when I'm practicing, I'm less concerned with the absolutely quality of the sound but much more alert to the behavior of the instrument in order to make small adjustments. If I'm listening to a recording, then I much prefer the reverse. The sample libraries sound much better than Pianoteq.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I think I can do it if I pick the best modeled Steinway and load it with Pianoteq so I can switch from one to the other as I make my modifications. Pianoteq is SO flexible that I'm sure by putting enough time into it, it can be made to mimic any sound you want.

This may be more difficult than it seems as the optimal velocity curves for each product will be different. You adjust to the response of each instrument differently as you play, so the MIDI info for Pianoteq will not be correct for Ivory and vice versa. If I load the MIDI for something I recorded using Pianoteq for True Keys American, the result sounds really strange. In fact, I would even say, the MIDI played from my Pianoteq 5 will sound wrong on your Pianoteq 5, since we are using very different response curves.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

I am setting myself a crazy goal of trying to alter Pianoteq until it has the tone of a real American Steinway. I really think it can be done so there is the best of both worlds -- the tone of a great sample library with the responsiveness of a modeled software piano.

A worthy quest which will bring down an avalanche of requests for the patch if you can pull it off.

I thought your recital presentation of the Intermezzo was wonderful, certainly as a performance, and I'd have to admit I was impressed too by the sound which I realised only after listening was Pianoteq. I don't know if you'd agree but when a composition is as dense as this one with a wash of arpeggios bubbling under throughout, the sound being so full is less likelty to betray weakness in the timbre. I'd think a more convincing test for a synthetic piano, modelled or sampled, would be something more leisurely and romantic like e.g. Traumerie?

(edit: gobbledygook)

Last edited by dire tonic; 03/20/15 03:21 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Hi 8 Octaves!

I know it won't be exactly the same. Thing is, I like the response of Pianoteq, but in general terms, the tone is "harsh". In comparison to the sample libraries and my own piano, there are some overtones in the default presets that just need to be gotten rid of. That's really all I want to do. Just get Pianoteq at, say, a velocity of 100 to sound just like one of the good NY Steinway sample libraries at 100 by editing the spectrum profile. Then, maybe try to set the hammer hardness values to sound as similar as possible for velocities 20, 60, and 100.

I know it won't be an exact copy, but I've been playing with it A LOT, and I can imagine getting Pianoteq to be VERY close to the tone I'm looking for.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Hey Rachel!

I misunderstood what you were saying. You're trying to out do Modartt by tweaking. grin My lazy strategy is more along the lines of waiting for Pianoteq 6.... laugh

One thing to try in addition the bazillion things you're tweaking with, the Piano condition settings is worth playing with. I have mine now set to 0.10, but I noticed the random seed used changes the overtones a lot, and some random seed yield some unpleasant overtones compared to other random seed.

R
OP Offline
R
I haven't really had luck with that condition slider. No matter where I set it, the sustain sounds weird to me. Almost like a digital piano's looped decay. I like it in some ways, but that weird sustain just always bugs the heck out of me!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission