Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, Anita Potter, arod7, ando, Artur Gajewski, 37 invisible), 1407 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#240177 - 07/08/08 11:01 AM Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I occasionally receive CDs from companies who want me to review them (on Piano World of course).

I don't feel qualified to provide the reviews, and besides, it would only be my opinion.

But, it did get me thinking.
Perhaps we could review Piano CDs as a group.

If the artist or their marketing company would be willing to provide some MP3 excerpts (and/or YouTube clips) I could post them along with a poll.

The poll would contain questions about the performance, music, overall impressions, etc. (I'm open to suggestions).
And, you could post written responses to the poll thread.

It's just an idea at this point.
But I think it could potentially be a win-win.

The artist gets to expose their material to our (not small) group, and the members/guests get to learn about new CDs (MP3s, etc.).

Feel free to respond to this thread, and please take the poll.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#240178 - 07/09/08 04:36 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
TheBritishPianist Offline

Loc: Nottingham
Sounds like a great idea!

Are you talkinging about classical piano CDs?

www.markinnottingham.blogspot.com

#240179 - 07/09/08 08:28 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBritishPianist:

Are you talking about classical piano CDs? [/b]
Actually any piano CD (classical, jazz, rag, new age, etc.).
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)

#240180 - 07/09/08 10:31 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

CD reviews have potential for Piano World but some questions need answering:

1) Are the CDs devoted largely to piano, as a solo, concerto or accompanying instrument? Can we assume an orchestral CD not featuring the piano would not be reviewed?
2) Are the reviewers credentialed in some way? Need they be performers, music teachers, or people with previous criticism background? Or can any amateur who can listen and type be allowed to review?
3) If there is a rating system, how does Piano World prevent manipulation? It's not enough to just limit voting to one per URL. The problem eBay has with its ratings could crop up here too.
4) Are ordinary users allowed to comment on a review? If so, what are the guidelines?

As Piano World has grown in users and stature, and become the place to go on the internet for piano matters, what is said here about piano manufacturers, retailers, performers etc. starts to matter. Sock puppets show up, and in a recent case a lawyer makes threats and forces an entire thread to be removed. Piano World needs proper legal guidelines on these matters for its own continued operations, and in turn it would help if there were a code of conduct for users as well.

#240181 - 07/09/08 10:52 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?

Quote:
Originally posted by Numerian:
CD reviews have potential for Piano World but some questions need answering:

1) Are the CDs devoted largely to piano, as a solo, concerto or accompanying instrument? Can we assume an orchestral CD not featuring the piano would not be reviewed?
2) Are the reviewers credentialed in some way? Need they be performers, music teachers, or people with previous criticism background? Or can any amateur who can listen and type be allowed to review?
3) If there is a rating system, how does Piano World prevent manipulation? It's not enough to just limit voting to one per URL. The problem eBay has with its ratings could crop up here too.
4) Are ordinary users allowed to comment on a review? If so, what are the guidelines?

As Piano World has grown in users and stature, and become the place to go on the internet for piano matters, what is said here about piano manufacturers, retailers, performers etc. starts to matter. Sock puppets show up, and in a recent case a lawyer makes threats and forces an entire thread to be removed. Piano World needs proper legal guidelines on these matters for its own continued operations, and in turn it would help if there were a code of conduct for users as well. [/b]
All good points Numerian.

We will need to work through these.
Personally I don't think we should limit reviews to people who are "qualified".

Although a member like Jeffrey Biegel is infinitely more qualified to comment on technic, interpretation, and execution than I am, he isn't capable of telling me what I like or don't like.

My primary goal here is to expose our members/guests to more music, at the same time helping the artist reach their intended audience.

I'd like to think that as we grow (now averaging 5-6 million page views a month, over 10,000 unique visitors a day), we can have at least some positive effect in the piano world.

You are correct about our guidelines.
We have a set of Rules and Regulations here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/12258.html

But I'm sure they need to be updated.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#240182 - 07/09/08 11:57 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
This sounds like it could be fun. It also sounds like a good way for members to learn about new CDs that we weren't aware of.

flickr

#240183 - 07/09/08 12:12 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
cs_carver Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
 Quote:
I don't feel qualified to provide the reviews, and besides, it would only be my opinion.
What else is a review but an opinion? Agreed, some opinions are worth a bit more to me than others; I have my "trusted" movie reviewers. Amazon stumbles along just fine allowing readers to evaluate the relative value of different reviews. When I see someone trash a book and it's the only review that person has ever posted, it's pretty easy to disregard. Similarly, a five-star review that offers no more praise than "greatest book I've ever read" doesn't get me to hit the "buy now" button, either.

So, IMO, the question of reviewer qualifications would depend on whether the reviews were attributed to "piano world," per se, or simply a new? forum on this board.

#240184 - 07/09/08 12:33 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Originally posted by cs_carver:
Agreed, some opinions are worth a bit more to me than others; I have my "trusted" movie reviewers. Amazon stumbles along just fine allowing readers to evaluate the relative value of different reviews. When I see someone trash a book and it's the only review that person has ever posted, it's pretty easy to disregard. Similarly, a five-star review that offers no more praise than "greatest book I've ever read" doesn't get me to hit the "buy now" button, either.[/b]
Agreed, I would value a review by someone like Kreisler far more than anyone's first post. Perhaps reviews could be limited to either a probationary period or number of posts. This would put a damper on people signing up to offer reviews. I think by 100 posts we have a pretty good idea of whether a member's posts are constructive or not.
 Quote:
Originally posted by cs_carver:
So, IMO, the question of reviewer qualifications would depend on whether the reviews were attributed to "piano world," per se, or simply a new? forum on this board. [/b]
I believe all quotes of reviews should be attributed to their writers. I also don't believe there'd be much value in quoting them elsewhere, but I've been wrong before.

#240185 - 07/09/08 02:47 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Chad Twedt Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
I also think it would be great if reviews could focus on CDs put out by smaller labels or even independently produced CDs. Of course, doing this means more submissions, lower quality submissions (on the average), and therefore more volunteers to screen mp3s/Youtube clips. Reviews of "undiscovered music" would, I think, be of great value to your Piano World members - perhaps even more value than reviews of major releases.

Chad Twedt
www.twedt.com

#240186 - 07/09/08 02:55 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I like the amazon model of doing reviews, and I'm often more swayed by the nonprofessionals' judgments than the "official" reviews also posted on amazon. But I would prefer seeing that type of review than simply a poll kind of numerical rating of expression or performance.

It's hard to predict how successful it would be. Would you set up a separate forum for reviews, Frank? And then each CD would get a separate thread that others could add to? That would be a logical way to organize it, but the risk is that it would become one of those hardly-ever-visited forums.

#240187 - 07/09/08 02:56 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
As stated above, pretty much all reviews are opinion. Granted, "professional" reviewers are paid to be critical and look for flaws, but I think what we would do here would be a bit different. Certainly, there are those who could (and should) be considered knowledable enough to provide professional reviews, but I think for the most part, what would be provided here would be on a more "everyday" level:

Did you like the CD (or video or clip or whatever)? Why or why not?

What particular things did you like (or dislike)?

Would you buy it? Why or why not?

Hey, I've got opinions about just about everything- and I'm usually not shy about saying so! LOL I usually post a review of the concerts we go to on my LJ, and there are people who at least find them amusing, if not helpful (and long-winded, but that's another show... \:D ). I think the idea of reviews here is a good one, if only to allow people to be exposed to music they might not find on their own.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#240188 - 07/09/08 03:08 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
slaketa1 Offline

Loc: Lemont Illinois
GO FOR IT.

#240189 - 07/09/08 04:33 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
dmc092657 Offline

A great idea ! Every review will always be just one person's opinion. But I always take that into consideration before purchasing a CD. If its a piece I'm interested in, a bad review never stops me. At the same time, a good one by itself won't propel me to buy a CD either.

#240190 - 07/09/08 05:00 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I wouldn't want to write reviews because my musical reactions are far too individual to be of much use to people; that's the main thing I have learned in six years of posting on forums. Neither would I take much notice of what anybody else said about something, for the same reason.

However, it could be a good way of my finding out that a particular CD existed. Sometimes I haven't known for years that a recording existed I would have really liked.

#240191 - 07/10/08 03:18 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
I also think it is a very good idea; I often read reviews from ordinary people: on Sheetmusicplus, Amazon or ePinions ant hey will help form an opinion without influencing much on final decision.

Inasmuch as it is written by a member to be read by a member, we could quickly recognize reviewers with similar tastes and use their reviews quite effectively, whatever their level of competence.

I think the system should not allow reviews to be discussed within. An opinion is an opinion.

I do have one question: how would the music be chosen; could anyone review a cd they own or would specific music be proposed ?

#240192 - 07/10/08 03:29 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ted:
I wouldn't want to write reviews because my musical reactions are far too individual to be of much use to people... [/b]
I think this is probably one of the best reason to write reviews that You could find. When I read reviews, the more useful ones are always the ones who have a different perspective and can explain it. They are the individuals I will trust most, wether I agree or not, to give insight on a product. :p

#240193 - 07/10/08 07:15 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

#240194 - 07/11/08 09:44 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Bob Newbie Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

and if necessary.. CD sound quality..

#240195 - 07/11/08 05:22 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
it would certainly broaden Piano World's scope.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#240196 - 07/13/08 03:21 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Since it would focus on the musical product of the artist and the piano, I think it would be therapeutic, less likely to get bogged down in a battle of the brands. For someone like me who's too lazy to keep up with current professional recordings, it would be educational too.

#240197 - 07/15/08 07:10 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
This would be a separate forum, correct?

I like the idea.

I like the idea of the writer needing 100 posts already to critique, rather than some family member signing up for their quick one review post. Or heaven forbid the sockies. Writer's avatar name needs to acc the review.

I also think that since most people have so so computer speakers that the mp3 need to be downloaded to a CD and played on a quality audio system or post on what they listened to it on.
Do you need to get permission for that?

#240198 - 07/15/08 08:01 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Frank,

Might I also suggest that you post this on the other forum sections? A lot of interested pianists there too, and they might not be checking in at the piano forum!

#240199 - 07/17/08 06:51 PM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
I like the idea, but I see from the poll results that many want ratings as well. That makes me less comfortable. I don't particularly like number or star ratings in some of the sources I read. For me, ratings generalize too much and can be misleading.

#240200 - 07/20/08 12:33 AM Re: Piano CD Reviews - - Should We?
Skip D Offline

Loc: Northeast
Agreed! The stars could make it seem more like those Amazon reviews on everything. Personally I'd enjoy reading and participating. I collect hard to find classical CD's and some jazz related mostly to piano literature.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
11/27/14 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
11/27/14 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
11/27/14 09:36 AM
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159394 Topics
2341420 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission