2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I finally broke down and gave Lisitsa a listen.

Made it as far as 3:20. Good grief, is this what it has come down to? Thank-you, I will stick with my older recordings of Horowitz, Richter, Arrau and Argerich.

Heres a recording (really just a home video) of Pogorelich playing it live. It's one of my favorites. Take a listen if you have time and let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/nc7A-oO1vKc

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I could only make it as far as 3 or so minute mark.

This is like one of those piano music played at the old silent movies. ha

Maybe Tom and Jerry. ha

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
But I must say I find the latest Brahms video has some very beautiful moments on it.

To be fair to Valentina Lisitsa, the Liszt B minor is one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire to get right - and by get right I don't even mean playing the right notes (although that is hard enough), but I mean capturing the spirit of. I don't even think there is a 'right' spirit to it, but there are very very few recordings that I've heard that I really think capture it properly, and I certainly don't when I play it (not for the want of trying I tell you).

For instance, I think Yuja Wang's performance is stunning, but it doesn't move me. It's wonderful, it's precision is breathtaking, as is the dynamic range of it, but there's something about it that I just don't get. Yet I can't criticise it because at the same time it's so good. I feel the same about Yundi Li, and Berezovsky, and even Trifinov I just don't get.

Yet I have heard Arthur Friedheim's piano roll recording and while the dynamics of it are unreliable and the piano is out of tune (on the youtube link to it), there is a sense of the piece in terms of the structure - now I know full well that you can't separate the dynamics from the structure so I know I would have had to have heard it in person which we can't do, but there is something about even that performance that seems to make sense to me.

Then there is Vadim Monastyrski who can be found on a youtube video again playing it in America. There are mistakes in it, but so what, it is in many ways an awesome performance.

YAMAHA Artist
T
T
Josef Lhevinne would say its because she has thin bony fingers grin

Naw but seriously, I feel like a lot of her interpretations are like that, but I can judge that only off of recordings which can be very different than hearing a piece in person. Never seen her live.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh Octaves, bringing that Lhevinne quote in, you know how to spark a debate round these parts ;-)

YAMAHA Artist
T
T

Made it as far as 3:20. Good grief, is this what it has come down to? Thank-you, I will stick with my older recordings of Horowitz, Richter, Arrau and Argerich.

Far longer than i lasted with Hewitt old chap.

Thal

I'm inclined to agree with Thal
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by thalbergmad

Far longer than I lasted with Hewitt old chap.

IIRC the Hewitt recording got a good writeup in Gramophone, a magazine I have read for years and generally trust their reviewers.

A casual perusal of YouTube didn't turn up anything, but I'm not inclined to add another Liszt B minor to my library at any rate.

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by joe80

To be fair to Valentina Lisitsa, the Liszt B minor is one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire to get right -

I don't excuse professionals for less-than-first-rate interpretations of well-known music in the standard repertoire just because interpretation of the piece may be difficult. They should know better once they are past a certain stage of maturity, and she's well past that point.

If a piece like the Liszt is hard to get right, performers should be aware of that fact, and they should not present the piece until they know they've got it right. Unfortunately, there are a number of professionals who have high-level mechanical skills, but only low-to-mid level musical sensibilities and artistry. Strange as it may seem to some, there is no direct correlation between skill and the deeper levels of musical understanding, even if a certain amount of skill is required to allow the musicality to manifest itself. And, sadly, this is one of those areas where a person may not have any idea of what they are lacking, precisely because of that very lack.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
Strange as it may seem to some, there is no direct correlation between skill and the deeper levels of musical understanding, even if a certain amount of skill is required to allow the musicality to manifest itself. And, sadly, this is one of those areas where a person may not have any idea of what they are lacking, precisely because of that very lack.

This is something rather frustrating to me, and one of the difficulties of classical music IMO. A person can have deep musical understanding of a piece, but if they haven't spent years building up a top notch technical ability, no one will ever know because they won't be able to present their ideas.

The two skill-sets are somewhat separate.....being musical and excellent piano technique.

Poetry is rhythm
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Cheeto717

Heres a recording (really just a home video) of Pogorelich playing it live. It's one of my favorites. Take a listen if you have time and let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/nc7A-oO1vKc

Wow. I had not heard that before (nor his studio recording).

A performance of volcanic intensity, sincerely felt, though I don't know that I could experience it with any frequency.

Ivo was dashing back then...

Jason
A
A
Agreed. I think her powerful, but unromantic.

I find the Chopin C-Sharp Minor Op 26 to usually be revealing.

This is V.L., seems indifferently played in spots, I'd like to hear what more experienced listeners think:

This is Halina Czerny-Stefanska (2nd track, starts at 14:26):

BTW: is Czerny on a Bechstein here? It has a wonky bass string and I still love her interpretation.

Last edited by Andrew LG; 05/28/21 10:23 PM. Reason: syntax
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Maybe you just have to adjust the volume. Any recording will sound too loud and bangy if the volume is too high.

Do you turn the knob left or right to change it?

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
......makes me feel nostalgic for the days back in circa 2015, when VL, bless her, was in every thread (or a new thread on her was started by someone, somewhere, anywhere), the world was still (relatively) free & happy because a certain spiky bug never existed (or was in an animal far, far away) so we could all cruise (or even fly) to deepest darkest Antarctica to attend a concert by a child prodigy no-one has heard of, and hug & kiss everyone without worrying about catching anything more than the common cold from them.....

Hand on a sec, this is 2015! cry

If music be the food of love, play on!
R
R
I never really could get into the Liszt Sonata until I heard Horowitz's 1932 recording. Then, it suddenly made sense.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rachtoven
I never really could get into the Liszt Sonata until I heard Horowitz's 1932 recording. Then, it suddenly made sense.[...]

It still doesn't make sense to me.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by BruceD
I never really could get into the Liszt Sonata until I heard Horowitz's 1932 recording. Then, it suddenly made sense.[...]

Regards,

Originally Posted by hawgdriver
But I now blush with embarrassment, because it's not a Prelude, it's one of the ... !

Those who assumed the Sonata I alluded to was the Hammerklavier, also guessed wrong. But who cares?

Cheers!

My first thought was actually the Liszt.

I knew it!!!

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Regards,

But I now blush with embarrassment, because it's not a Prelude, it's one of the ... !

Those who assumed the Sonata I alluded to was the Hammerklavier, also guessed wrong. But who cares?

Cheers!

My first thought was actually the Liszt.

I knew it!!!

For what it's worth - and I know no one really gives a rodent's posterior - but I as a youngster was enamoured of this music. So much so that I bought the score after my RCM Grade X exam. My score shows date of purchase on the cover in my handwriting 27 May, 1956.

So? Yeah, so what! Taste changes, I guess.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission