2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2402901 03/26/15 05:35 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I have some ideas about different kinds of recital programs and pianists who like these programs based on recitals I've attended or read about. Of course, I don't mean that the pianists I've listed always play programs like this.

1. The severe or very heavy program: consists of only 1-4 major works. Exs: the last 3 Beethoven Sonatas, the WTC Book 1, the Goldberg Variations, 4 random major works. Pianists include Rudolph Serkin, Pollini, Uchida.

2. The one composer program is quite popular among a variety of pianists. Many composers are possible with Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Schubert, and Liszt among the most popular. Pianists include deLarrocha, Schiff, Rubinstein, Pollini, Brendel, Mei-Ting Sun.

3. The monumentalprogram is played by pianists who like gigantically long and difficult pieces like The People United Will Never Be Defeated, Goldberg Variations, Iberia, etc. Pianists include Brendan Kinsella, John Ogden(his recordings..I don't know about his concerts).

4. The completist program includes complete sets of works like one or two books of the Chopin Etudes, all the Chopin Waltzes, the Debussy Preludes, the WTC. Pianists include Pollini, Rose, Barenboim.

5. The transcription program includes a large number of transcriptions. Pianists include, Wild, Katsaris, Hough, Koji Attwood, Biret, Fiorentino.

6. The don't bore the audience program consists of only 2-3 major works plus other shorter works and is IMO very common. Pianists include Horowitz, Cherkassky.

7. The cleverly arranged program. Exs. would be Chopin Op. 15-18 as one half, symmetric...Bach, Beethoven, Beethoven, Bach. Exs. include Morozova and others I can't think of them right now.

8. The I mostly play Romantic music program. Pianists include Trifonov, Lisitsa.

9. The I love contemporary music program. Exs. include Peter Serkin, Brendan Kinsella, Ursulla Oppens, and many others I'm not familiar with.

Please feel free to comment on any of the above. If you can think of other kinds of recital programs or pianists who favor any particular kind of program please comment on this.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/26/15 06:57 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

6. The don't bore the audience program

win!
no, wait, "thrill and delight the audience" wins.

(Edit: All of your choices could become thrill-and-delight, or at least don't-bore, programs... if the pieces are very engaging and the performer plays them in a very engaging way.)

Last edited by hreichgott; 03/26/15 09:24 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Anton Rubinstein gave a series of "History Lesson" recitals.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...nton%20rubinstein%20recitals&f=false

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
A
A
I love this!

A guy I knew in school used to arrange his recitals around a theme. Death, for example (following Janacek's sonata with Schumann's Theme in E flat major (ghost theme) as a last movement), but sometimes the theme was more creative and less obvious. And then he would cleverly arrange his pieces according to key and go attacca between them, using relationships such as C minor/ E major à la Beethoven. It was very effective.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

F
F
I believe Schiff has made quite a lot of "severe" recitals. His Diabeli/Goldberg (with the arietta from op.111 as an encore!!) was lovely, but still, it's not easy listening.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I'm a great fan of the "theme" recital. For example, when I participated in the Boston Amateur Competition in 2005, I programmed the three rounds entirely on composers based in New England. If the Chicago Amateur Competition is held in 2016, I plan to provide a similar program there -- composers who worked (or work) in the Chicago area. In Colorado Springs, I programmed pieces entirely from American compositions from 1930 - 50. I've got others for pieces evoking bells in varied ways, and variations by American composers. That's the type of programming I'd love to see more of.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
I'm a great fan of the "theme" recital. For example, when I participated in the Boston Amateur Competition in 2005, I programmed the three rounds entirely on composers based in New England. If the Chicago Amateur Competition is held in 2016, I plan to provide a similar program there -- composers who worked (or work) in the Chicago area. In Colorado Springs, I programmed pieces entirely from American compositions from 1930 - 50. I've got others for pieces evoking bells in varied ways, and variations by American composers. That's the type of programming I'd love to see more of.
I heard Kuerti plays a first Sonatas recital consisting of the first sonatas by Beethoven, Czerny, and Schumann. And I think I heard Bolet? playing an all Ballade recital which may have included the Grieg Ballade and the 4 Chopin Ballades.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/27/15 11:17 AM.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
On "Theme" recitals, there are endless possibilities. Pierre-Laurent Aimard did recitals consisting only of Etudes, by different composers. A pianist I know is currently putting together a program of music from the Soviet around WW2. Doing concerts with references to other art forms isn't unusual. Only the imagination is the limit - there's an endless amount of possible themes to choose from. Tonight, I'm heading to a lied concert titled 'Working class lieder', focusing on lieder with political and similar themes.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Oh, and seeing the mention of Schumann 1st sonata...I remember hearing a concert a while ago ending with Schumann 1st sonata, with all of the works preceding it having some sort of influence upon it - the Moscheles F# minor sonata, Clara Schumann Hexentanz, etc.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
An extension of the one composer program is the two composer program. There are fascinating possibilities in picking the perfect pair.

I heard Kissin give a concert consisting of just Prokofiev and Chopin-- down to the encores.

And I heard Schiff give a concert of alternating Haydn and Bartok. Believe it or not, there was more than one moment when a piece began, and you didn't know at first which it was.

-J

OP Offline
Originally Posted by beet31425
And I heard Schiff give a concert of alternating Haydn and Bartok. Believe it or not, there was more than one moment when a piece began, and you didn't know at first which it was.-J
A combination of a two composer recital and the cleverly arranged recital. I recently heard a recital where the first half consisted two alternating composers... Haydn Capriccio, Mozart Fantasy, Haydn Sonata, Mozart Duport Variations. Much better than if the two works by each composer had been played consecutively I think.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission