Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (augustm, AlanSanDiego, ando, AZNpiano, Aceituna, 23 invisible), 1025 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2404471 - Yesterday at 02:34 PM Digital Piano for an adult Beginner.
Prinz Offline

Hi everybody,

i would like first of all to thank you all for the posts here. I enjoyed reading many threads, especially those
helping me now choosing a DP.

I am an adult beginner and had started a month ago learning.

Now i am planning to buy a DP. After many reviews and direct contact with many DP here my final candidates:

- KAWAI: CN 24 or ES100: I really like the sounds and actions. For me CN24(1000 EUR) is a little better, but the ES100is much cheaper (600 EUR here in Germany).
- YAMAHA YDP162 is ok but and comparable with the CN24.
- ROLAND: F-20 or F-120. Also good, but i am also impressed by the low price of the F-20 (600 E).

Since iam a beginner, all of these DP are good for me and i cannot really decide in a professionnal way.

I am planning to play daily betwenn 1h and 2 hours on it. Also my wife will play on it

So, does the quality of the key matters if a DP is so often used? Any ideas? Is it better to invest more money for the keys (Ivory Touch vs. Plastic)

I would really appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Prinz.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2404474 - Yesterday at 02:38 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
They're all good, although I would leave out the ES100 or the F-20. Those are pretty low end and will probably be less satisfying in the long run.

Which one did you and your wife like the best? I ask this based solely on instinct and where your heart is. That's the one you should get.

#2404476 - Yesterday at 02:47 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
Prinz Offline

ok "money" speaking i was impressed by the F-20 or ES100, but it was clear that they will not "live" so long. But "heart" speaking i liked the F-120 and my wife the CN24. Since we are beginners, i don't know if those are good for daily use or not? Is your statement for the Es100 and F-20 (low end) based on the fact that they have plastic keys? Sorry for the many questions, but i don't want to buy a DP and regret the decision after maybe one year...

#2404485 - Yesterday at 03:10 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I say the F-20 and ES100 because those are the low end models. Actually the Roland F-120 is a discontinued model, but slightly higher end. The F-20 and F-120 both have the same action, however, and the action is the most important thing, next is sound. Ivory tops or wooden keys really don't matter. I'm thinking since they put the same action in their next generation low end model, that's probably not going to be the best. I have not played the Roland F-120/20 which has the Ivory Feel-G action, but I'm leery of Roland actions in the mid- to low-end for regular practice.

Also, it seems you have a mixture of stage/portable pianos and cabinet-style ones in there. How important is that to your purchase?

Also note that Kawai recently came out with the CN25, which means you'll probably be getting a pretty good price for the CN-24. I'm partial to Kawai actions.

The Yamaha has the GH action, which is their lowest end. I would pass on that as well.

edited to add: Is there some reason you aren't considering Casios in your search?

Edited by Morodiene (Yesterday at 03:10 PM)

#2404488 - Yesterday at 03:22 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
Prinz Offline

Oh thanks for your detailed answer.

Stage or cabinet style doesn't matter. I am lucky in that point because my wife has the solution for both solutions (to place them in the suitable room)

You are right CN24 is for 980 Euro in Sale here in Germany (good deal?)

YAMAHA GH Action: I tried the YDP162 but i am not so impressed (may be i don't habe the right feeling because i am a beginner?)

Is there some reason you aren't considering Casios in your search?--> When i want to buy a camera i go for Nikon or Canon--> The same logic for me for DP. Although many people said the Casios are pretty good? (I didn't have the chance to play on the Casios)

#2404582 - Yesterday at 06:08 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
I have a Casio PX-5S, as can be seen in my signature, and I recommend it. Price to quality ratio of their pianos is very good, in my opinion. According to your initial list (which Morodiene is probably just commenting on, not ruling out Casios, just sticking to the pianos you your self had narrowed down to) you may want something with speakers, like Casio PX-850.

Regarding the Yamaha YDP162, the GH action is NOT Yamaha's lowest end. The GHS (Graded Hammer Standard) action, is their lightest action, GH, or Graded Hammer, heavier and GH2 heaviest. Yamaha has the GHS action in their low end models, GH in a bit better ones, and the GH2 in their best.

Casio, on the other hand, puts the same, considerably heavy action, in all their models.

Whatever you end up with, try before you buy!

Edited by TheodorN (Yesterday at 06:09 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2404617 - Yesterday at 07:38 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: TheodorN]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
IMHO (see below), the Casio's are competitive with (in quality and sound) -- and maybe better than -- other DP's in their price class. Don't ignore them because of the brand name.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, try the Roland F130R. IMHO it's better than the F-120 and much better than the F-20.

. Charles

PS -- bias -- I have a Casio PX-350. The key action is pretty good, more-or-less on par with the Yamaha GH action. Its built-in piano sounds are OK. I use it to drive Pianoteq (a software piano) -- better sounds, that way.

PPS -- for a comparison of the F130R and F120, try here:

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2014/07/R...best-price.html

Tim Praskins may be biased (it's a complicated issue), but his comparisons of DP's within a brand are probably trustworthy.

#2404622 - Yesterday at 07:52 PM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
Kawai James Online   content

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Prinz, welcome to the forum.

To echo the advice already provided by others, I would recommend that you play-test as many pianos within your budget as possible, and purchase the instrument yourself and your wife enjoy playing the most.

If you intend to practise/play for 1~2 hours a day, I would suggest that you disregard the price tag, and simply opt for the best piano you can afford.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2404718 - Today at 01:46 AM Re: Digital Piano for an adult Beginner. [Re: Prinz]
Bellicapelli Online   content

Loc: Tuscany Italy
Hallo Prinz und wilkommen!

Synthetic ivory and plastic keytops are the same thing, the first have just a bit grippier surface, for when your fingers get a bit sweaty.

The price you get for the cn24 is a good one, since the new cn25 costs about 1250. There are some improvements on the 25, but i played both, and for 250 discount i could easily settle for the 24.

By the way, after a couple of months Kawai settled as my favourite piano in almost all price classes, by touch and tone. I tried out the ydp162 and f120 though, and found them good indeed: you will have to experiment a bit with your hands and ears.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My interviews with moviegoers who saw Seymour: An Introd.
by music32
46 minutes 4 seconds ago
Adding a soundcard for VST playing on my setup?
by idfpiano
Today at 01:04 AM
Piano Tastings Ep. 8: Grotrian at NAMM
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Help with installing VSTs
by EddieK
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Buying advice
by noisy123
Yesterday at 10:45 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,715 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,863 Topics
2,390,529 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission