2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner

Hey, take another look at BB's excellent ET via Marpurg. There is much to learn in the sequence even if you choose not to use it. It can give a fresh perspective on setting the temperament.

Link please.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT

After tuning CM3, set D4 by tuning it so that:

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4

This works because we expect F3D4 to equal G3B3.

And the CM3 window we bisect sets up

F3A3 < G3B3 < A3C#4

Does anyone else see the beauty of this approach? - We have tuned a wide P4 by exactly the amount that iH requires in order to have progressive RBI.

I see the beauty but also a flaw. F3D4 is closer to G#3C4 than to G3B3 even on low IH instruments and more so on high IH instruments.

You are correct in stating
F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4
if the "<" mean less than, but if this equation means that the beatrate of F3D4 should be the average of the beatrates of F3A3 and A3C#4, it is not true. It should be closer to the beat rate of A3C#4 than to the beatrate of F3A3, not in the middle.

Theoretically speaking, if you ignore this subtlety you will end up with non progressive M3's. That's OK because no-one can tune progressive M3's aurally anyways, but something to consider.

Another thing that comes to mind here is that you have stated a number of times that you have measured human abilities (tolerances) for beat rate progressions detection, which you have. However you measured the ability to detect beat rate differences for beating sine waves, not real piano tones. Clearly the real accuracy will be lower, possibly by a large factor.

I don't intend to "shoot you down" and knowing beat rate discriminatation for beating sine waves is obvious better than knowing nothing at all, but if you claim you have "proved" beat rate discrimination limits and don't mention these caveats you should expect to be challenged on this.

The value I see in your pursuit of determining "objectively best octave size in the temperament octave" is as follows. On a good day you just listen and find the best octave. On a bad day you can't decide and would like to have some method to do what you'd do on a good day. If you had an ETD you'd just measure IH and let the software figure it out. It usually does a good job, which is why 90% of PTG member tune electronically

If not what you can do is to listen to beat rates of m3's and M3's and see how much off they are from what would be predicted from a simple no-inharmonicity model using a twelfth root of 2 relation between pitches which Alfredo incorrectly thinks people use.

By listening to this you can get an idea of how much IH you have under your fingers, and then, using the data collected from your survey you can make a recommendation for a 4:2, 4:2/6:3, or even a 2:1/4:2 octave. For BDB: the symbol ":" does not indicate division here as you learned in elementary school, it has a different meaning.

Kees

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Chris Storch
FThe octaves I recorded were open, meaning six strings. Any unison roll may have tainted some of the octave quality.

So in addition to the garbage piano, recorded with a piece of garbage microphone, the unisons might also be garbage. Thanks Mark.

G.I.G.O.

I'm done with this thread. Have fun guys.

I'm sorry you do not value the peer review approach. This is all the garbage before the final product. For anyone else reading these posts and threads with the same frustration, please keep this in mind.

As for garbage piano - they're what we tune. This are my typical day to day pianos and I still want to tune them the best I can.

Microphone - does not change partial frequency, only strength.

Unisons - yes, that is a valid concern and a requirement for the next test.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by DoelKees

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4

F3A3 < G3B3 < A3C#4

Does anyone else see the beauty of this approach? - We have tuned a wide P4 by exactly the amount that iH requires in order to have progressive RBI.

I see the beauty but also a flaw. F3D4 is closer to G#3C4 than to G3B3 even on low IH instruments and more so on high IH instruments.

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4
if the "<" mean less than, but if this equation means that the beatrate of F3D4 should be the average of the beatrates of F3A3 and A3C#4, it is not true. It should be closer to the beat rate of A3C#4 than to the beatrate of F3A3, not in the middle.

Theoretically speaking, if you ignore this subtlety you will end up with non progressive M3's. That's OK because no-one can tune progressive M3's aurally anyways, but something to consider.

I don't see this relationship as flawed. It is only stating a relationship between beat speeds with no implications about scaling and ratios, and using a "window" to constrain the choice of beat speeds to tune another interval.

Going on however, there seems to be too much emphasis on the use of RBI checks as a means of tuning. I think we should not diminish the importance of listening to intervals themselves for purity or otherwise and then use checks as confirmation.

Last edited by Chris Leslie; 03/29/15 10:14 PM.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
Originally Posted by DoelKees

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4

F3A3 < G3B3 < A3C#4

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4

I don't see this relationship as flawed. It is only stating a relationship between beat speeds with no implications about scaling and ratios, and using a "window" to constrain the choice of beat speeds to tune another interval.

Going on however, there seems to be too much emphasis on the use of RBI checks as a means of tuning. I think we should not diminish the importance of listening to intervals themselves for purity or otherwise and then use checks as confirmation.

The only pure intervals on a piano are unisons which does not help much to set the temperament.

The relationship is flawed or not depending on the meaning of the "<" symbol as I tried to make clear.

Kees

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4

F3A3 < G3B3 < A3C#4

Yes I see the beauty. In fact I'm curious and I'll give it a try. The success of this sequence will depend on the ability to tune congruent octaves, M3s and M6s.

To avoid going too high, where M3s beat too fast, I will tune C#3 in addition of the usual CM3s. This means this sequence may be apropriate to tune pianos with the bridge break and top most wound string below C#3, to avoid jumps in iH.

Here is the sequence:

A4, A3, F3, F4, C#4 as usual, progressive CM3s,

then tune:

C#3 to C#4 as the best sounding octave possible, check C#3F3 fits in the progression of CM3s.

A#3 to C#3, C#3F3 < C#3A#3 < F3A3, check the fifth A#3F4: C#3A#3 > C#3F4

D4 to F3, F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4, check the fifth A3D4: F3D4 > F3A4

F#4 to A3, A3C#4 < A3F#4 < C#4F4

F#3 to F#4 as the best sounding octave possible, check F#3A#3 fits in the progression of contiguous and chromatic M3s, check the fifth F#3C#4: A2F#3 > A2C#4

D3 to D4 as the best sounding octave possible, check D3F#3 fits in the progression of contiguous and chromatic M3s, check the fifth D3A3: F2D3 > F2A3

B3 to D3, D3F#3 < D3B3 < F#3A#3, check the fifth B3F#4: D3B3 > D3F#34

D#4 to F#3, F#3A#3 < F#3D#4 < A#3D4

G4 to A#3, A#3D4 < A#3 G4 < D4F#4

G3 to G4 as the best sounding octave possible, check G3B3 fits in the progression of contiguous and chromatic M3s, check the fifth G3D4: A#2G3 > A#2D4

D#3 to D#4 as the best sounding octave possible, check D#3G3 fits in the progression of contiguous and chromatic M3s, check the fifth D#3A#3: F#2D#3 > F#2A#3

C4 to D#3, D#3G3 < D#3C4 < G3B3, check the fifth F3C4: G#2F3 > G#2C4, check the fifth C4G4: D#3C4 > D#3G4

E4 to G3, G3B3 < G3E4 < B3D#4, check the fifth A3E4: C2A3 > C2E4

G#4 to B3, B3D#4 < B3G#4 < D#4G4, check the fifth C#4G#4: E3C#4 > E3G#4

G#3 to G#4 as the best sounding octave possible, check G#3C4 fits in the progression of contiguous and chromatic M3s, check the fifth C#3G#3: E2C#3 > E2G#3, check the fifth G#3D#4: B2G#3 > B2D#4

E3 to E4 as the best sounding octave possible, check E3G#3 fits in the progression of contiguous and chromatic M3s, check the fifth E3B3: G2E3 > G2B3

The size or stretching of the octaves must be uniform. Each time we tune an octave we must check with the apropriate tests M3M10, P4P5, m3M6, M10M17, etc. that we are tuning coherent or congruent octaves.

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for all the comments. I will look through them all more deeply.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Storch
FThe octaves I recorded were open, meaning six strings. Any unison roll may have tainted some of the octave quality.

So in addition to the garbage piano, recorded with a piece of garbage microphone, the unisons might also be garbage. Thanks Mark.

G.I.G.O.

I'm done with this thread. Have fun guys.

I'm sorry you do not value the peer review approach.

Uh, I think that was a peer review.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have calculated the M3/M6 equality using multiple B curves. It always comes out less than 2% error. Of course with iH, what is considered a 100% accurate ET? I have chosen smooth M3 and M6 and P4 around 1bps as my reference. I can't get progressive P4. I will look at it again.

I'm sorry Jeff, your excitement at having somehow "got" me is misspent. I use different m3/M3 to tune ET with little or no refining needed all the time. And the real power of this method is that one is always trying to hear the beating partials. One is always trying to hear small differences in those beats. And therefore, one cannot help but hone their ear and sensitivity to those partials and beat speeds. For me, aural tuning has become a cakewalk because of this technique. Maybe you should try it.

Gadzar, your m3 ladder sounds interesting, and I don't see how it coułdnt work on any piano. But I am using the m3 in the m3M3 equality that upholds the 6:3 size that results from the best octave size choosen for A3A4 and F3F4.

Also, I agree that the M3/M6 test is not very helpful. That is why I use it as a source instead of a test.

Example:

F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4

F3A3 < G3B3 < A3C#4

"Does anyone else see the beauty of this approach? - We have tuned a wide P4 by exactly the amount that iH requires in order to have progressive RBI."

I don't think this is anything new. I had noticed this long ago and found it inadequate. As you continue through what can be described as a "down a third, down a third, up a fourth" sequence, you find a point where the newly tuned notes produce intervals with the first notes that were tuned. At this point (the ninth note...?) you find out that what you thought produced a tempering of the SBIs of "exactly the amount that iH requires in order to have progressive RBI" was just wishful thinking.

If you want to prove otherwise, post a video of this sequence for "peer review."

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Today I tuned a Wendel & Lung grand, model 178 (5'11"). A nice piano. I tried the sequence I posted above. After 25 minutes fighting the piano to set the temperament I gave up and used the old good ET Via Marpurg of Bill Bremmer. In less than 10 minutes I've got a nice ET.
It's difficult to only use octaves, M3s and M6s avoiding tuning fourths and fiths! I got lost when I found the first bad sounding fifth and tried to correct it by retuning the last tuned M6. A horrible mess!

Last edited by Gadzar; 03/30/15 11:55 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gadzar
Today I tuned a Wendel & Lung grand, model 178 (5'11"). A nice piano. I tried the sequence I posted above. After 25 minutes fighting the piano to set the temperament I gave up and used the old good ET Via Marpurg of Bill Bremmer. In less than 10 minutes I've got a nice ET.
It's difficult to only use octaves, M3s and M6s avoiding tuning fourths and fiths! I got lost when I found the first bad sounding fifth and tried to correct it by retuning the last tuned M6. A horrible mess!

I tried something similar earlier this year. I figured if progressive M3s and M6s is a barely achievable, but still clinical, definition of ET, why not tune and listen to only these two intervals? I got the temperament as close as I could and the SBIs were horrid!

It was worth trying, and a lesson I won't forget!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Because we are human, we can "think" a M3 is faster or slower than a neighbour, or in my sequence, within a beat speed window, but our ears can be fooled. The SBI provide a safeguard - a second, and more importantly, different way to listen.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 03/31/15 08:18 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Because we are human, we can "think" a M3 is faster or slower than a neighbour, or in my sequence, within a beat speed window, but our ears can be fooled. The SBI provide a safeguard - a second, and more importantly, different way to listen.

True!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In my sequence I guess the problem is the compounded error as I tune each note to the previous tuned note.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In my sequence I guess the problem is the compounded error as I tune each note to the previous tuned note.

Compound errors with an RBI sequence??? How could it be??? SAY IT AIN'T SO, JOE! wink

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I mean I can tune a good set of CM3s C#3, F3, A3, C#4, F4, A4

And then another good CM3s chain D3, F#3, A#3, D4, F#4

But the windows C#3F3 < C#3A#3 < F3A3 and F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4 are insufficient to guarant the second chain is "in tune" with the first one.

The same happens with the 3rd and 4rth chains os CM3s.

The Sanderson/Baldassin solves this by directly tuning fourths and correcting their tempering until they fit in the set of CM3s and octaves previously tuned, constructing a nine note mini temperament.

ET Via Marpurg avoids this error compounding by tuning temporary pure fourths and fifths that put the ball in the park and then refining their tempering with equal beating techniques used in P4s and P5s.

Both sequences are "self correcting" opposed to "error compounding".

Last edited by Gadzar; 03/31/15 09:03 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another aspect concerning accuracy when estimating different beat rates is that for me it's really easy to detect a mistuned interval if I play a run of chromatic alike intervals. That's what I do to refine my tunings, I play a run of chromatic fifths or fourths or octaves or M3s or M6s or M10s or P12ths or M17s and I can discern very small differences between them. I do this to check the quality of my unisons also! I listen to the center string right string unison and rhen compare with the center/left strings unison. They must sound the same. It's really easy to detect the smallest deviation. I also play a run of chromatic notes looking for unisons that sound "different" and stick out like a red light.

That's how the nine note mini temperament in the Sanderson/Baldassin sequence is tuned: you play a run of 5 chromatic M3s, a run of 4 chromatic P4s and you have also 2 chromatic P5s. It's really easy to detect an interval which sounds different.

I am just not able to achieve that level of accuracy when hearing/tuning at a M3/M6/CM3 "window". The partials involved are different and distant. For the first M3 we listen to the 5th partial of the lower note beating against the 4th partial of the upper note, then against the 3rd partial of the note a M6th above and then we have to listen at a different and distant pair of 5th and 4th partials for the CM3. I believe this is the main problem with this "window" technique.

Last edited by Gadzar; 03/31/15 09:51 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I mean I can tune a good set of CM3s C#3, F3, A3, C#4, F4, A4

And then another good CM3s chain D3, F#3, A#3, D4, F#4

But the windows C#3F3 < C#3A#3 < F3A3 and F3A3 < F3D4 < A3C#4 are insufficient to guarant the second chain is "in tune" with the first one.

The same happens with the 3rd and 4rth chains os CM3s.

The Sanderson/Baldassin solves this by directly tuning fourths and correcting their tempering until they fit in the set of CM3s and octaves previously tuned, constructing a nine note mini temperament.

ET Via Marpurg avoids this error compounding by tuning temporary pure fourths and fifths that put the ball in the park and then refining their tempering with equal beating techniques used in P4s and P5s.

Both sequences are "self correcting" opposed to "error compounding".

I am glad you posted this, Rafael. For some reason the phrases "compounded errors" and "self-correcting" always rankle me. I now know why. They are misleading terms. The errors do not compound, they accumulate. And intervals are not self-correcting, there is just a maximum error that they can be off and pass a test.

It is like interest on a loan. If it compounds you owe interest on the interest. If it accumulates, interest is only charged on the principle. Likewise, if when tuning interval after interval, say with a 1 cent error, after 5 intervals the error totals 5.0 cents, not 5.1 cents.

And CM3s do not self-correct to 0.0 cents. They can be an entire cent off and still be definitely progressive. Someone could then counter with the argument that these errors then "compound", but really they, too, only accumulate.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Self correcting comes when you get informed you are wrong, by how much and in what direction.

In a P4/P5 sequence you must tune all and every note to see if the circle closes and you have no info about what you did! Even if the circle closes you are not sure your intervals are good. Errors can not only add but cancel out previous errors. Such a sequence is not self correcting.

In a CM3s sequence you start by tuning an octave that is presumed correct. And you have to tune only two more notes to close the "circle". If you tune a too wide third another third will be too narrow! It's immediate. You get informed at the next step. It is telling you you are wrong, by how much and in what direction. You can correct the tempering of these CM3s until they fit in the octave. In the Sanderson sequence you make a similar self correcting tempering for the fourths if your 4ths are too wide or to narrow you'll get informed in the next step and you'll know how to correct them.

In the ET Via Marpurg sequence, errors can not add/cancel. As soon as you tune a bad interval another interval shows you your error.

Last edited by Gadzar; 03/31/15 10:26 AM.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission