2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi

The subject pretty much says it but does anyone know of any romantic era pieces that are playable by intermediates. Currently learning Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte by Ravel and Reverie by Debussy which is helping me to push my technique but I'd like some slightly easier pieces of a similar ilk to chop into my practice routine. Im not interested in easy versions/arrangements because thats not how i roll!! Perhaps you know of some.

...and before any 'let me google that' smart alecs feel like massaging their 'funny' bone, I'm interested in personal recommendations. smile

Thanks all

Self-taught pianist since Feb 2015
JS Bach devotee
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
The pieces you mention are definitely intermediate. There's an almost endless repertoire of intermediate Romantic pieces. I love Kinderszenen, Albumblatter and so on of Robert Schumann, most of which should be in your reach.

There are also a couple of Chopin Waltzes you could try. B150 should not be a problem.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks. Will check them out.

I suppose I'm looking for shorter and slightly easier pieces than the ones I previously mentioned. I'm chipping away at memorising the 5+ minute pieces, but to keep motivation up it would be nice to have some shorter and marginally simpler pieces to have in reserve for those frustrating days!

Self-taught pianist since Feb 2015
JS Bach devotee
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tcherepnin, Gretchaninoff and some other Russian composers wrote a number of teaching pieces in late Romantic style that would be accessible to late beginners/early intermediates. You might want to look at a few things by them. It's a different world from French music, and not all the pieces are equally good, but they are definitely short and expressive and designed to be playable by students in the early stages.

The Sicilienne by Schumann from Album for the Young is often popular with adult early intermediate students; it's gentle and moody and there's room for a more mature mode of expression. Also it is short and uses a lot of repetition.
Same thing with Old French Song by Tchaikovsky from his Album for the Young. Kids could play it, but an adult could do more with it, and it's short and quick to learn due to repetition.

This is earlier romantic, but you could also look at the Schubert waltzes. He wrote dozens, maybe hundreds, and they are well represented on imslp.org. Definitely mid-intermediate in difficulty, and many of them are like 16 measures. Not all of them are equally interesting, but maybe you could download a collection and sight-read the melody line until you found one you liked well enough to learn properly.

The A minor Chopin waltz mentioned above is one of the easiest Chopin waltzes, but it is still many pages long and at least a couple of minutes in length. There are some very short easier Preludes from Chopin's op. 28: no. 4, 6, 7 and 20. Good for someone who is willing to put in the time to not only learn the notes but make them sound beautiful. The difficulties are not in learning the notes. (These Preludes are still harder than anything else mentioned in this post.)

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission