2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

I am new to this forum, first time posting. I have scoured the internet and spoken to Yamaha themselves and they are firm with their answer.

Basically, I know that playing the DGX650 and the P105 side by side at a local store yielded that the DGX has a much better action. ALTHOUGH, they are supposed to be the same. So I asked Yamaha, is it possible that it has something to do with the build quality? Keybed parts? Chassis construction that it's more solid on the DGX? The tech support was firm on their answer that it's the exact same keyed. However, the sound engine is different due to the many more sounds the 650 can play. So that brought up another thought...is it possible they adjusted the GHS action to better suit the additional sounds?

The P105 keys are noisier and clunky and make a terrible sound when released quickly. I have played the 105 in a few different stores, so it's not that one particular unit. The DGX does not have this same issue and the arpeggios I played on the DGX registered perfectly, while the 105 had skipped notes, and i wasn't able to play them as smooth.

So, anyone have any real hands-on experience with either? Thank you so much for your help.

BTW, I am a trained pianist, and songwriter, and that's why I am leaning towards the 650...as a writing tool, but also needs to be able to trigger software pianos very well. I most likely will not track the internal piano sound.

Jake

I should note that i am looking at the new P115 that replaces the 105, hopefully that will be better? And also the Kawai ES100 is another contender.

Last edited by jaketanner; 04/01/15 10:30 PM.

Regards,

Jake R Tanner
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think you don't need further help, unless portability is a factor, and the 650 it is. Did you consider alternatives from other brands?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jaketanner
Hello,

I am new to this forum, first time posting. I have scoured the internet and spoken to Yamaha themselves and they are firm with their answer.

Basically, I know that playing the DGX650 and the P105 side by side at a local store yielded that the DGX has a much better action. ALTHOUGH, they are supposed to be the same. So I asked Yamaha, is it possible that it has something to do with the build quality? Keybed parts? Chassis construction that it's more solid on the DGX? The tech support was firm on their answer that it's the exact same keyed. However, the sound engine is different due to the many more sounds the 650 can play. So that brought up another thought...is it possible they adjusted the GHS action to better suit the additional sounds?

The P105 keys are noisier and clunky and make a terrible sound when released quickly. I have played the 105 in a few different stores, so it's not that one particular unit. The DGX does not have this same issue and the arpeggios I played on the DGX registered perfectly, while the 105 had skipped notes, and i wasn't able to play them as smooth.

So, anyone have any real hands-on experience with either? Thank you so much for your help.

BTW, I am a trained pianist, and songwriter, and that's why I am leaning towards the 650...as a writing tool, but also needs to be able to trigger software pianos very well. I most likely will not track the internal piano sound.

Jake

I should note that i am looking at the new P115 that replaces the 105, hopefully that will be better? And also the Kawai ES100 is another contender.

Having the DGX, I would concur the action seems better than that on the P105. It isn`t so quiet, mind. The piano is a solid option, but if it`s only the piano you want, you might find the keyboard of the ES7 (bit pricey, pedals and stand/seat extra) or the CN 25/35 is better.

I`ve been happy with mine, particularly the piano which I reckon to be nicer sounding than Pianoteq which I use in tandem, but the action, though light (which I like) isn`t ideal.

I`d definitely look at the latest aforementioned Kawais which seem to be very good value for a small extra amount of cash . .

Have fun! The extra sounds on the DGX are really useful for music composition and simple recording, you can start with drums, drums/bass, guitar chords/strum and . . just go where it takes you . . .

Last edited by peterws; 04/02/15 03:45 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
If you have tried several of that model and aren't happy with it, then you have your answer - or at least you've ruled out the P105. You mention you're actually looking at the P115, so I would test that - perhaps they fixed some of the issues that you are speaking of in the newer model.

What is your budget? I second peterws' recommendation to check out those Kawai models (I haven't played the ES100, but that is their base model and as a trained pianist, I don't think you will be happy in the long run with that). You may spend a bit more, but getting a better action will be much more inspirational for you if you can afford a bit more.

Also have you checked out Casios?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you are looking for a piano as a controller for software pianos (correct me if I misunderstood) then you may want to look at Kawai VPC1, I understand it has an action highly regarded by trained/classical pianists. It has no internal sounds of it's own, to make that clear.

If you want to stay inside the budget of the Yamahas P105 and DGX650 and Kawai ES100, then the Casios PX150 and PX350 are also perfectly fine as controllers, and both have internal piano voices, plus a lot (in the case of the PX350, at least) more nonpiano voices.

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/02/15 07:54 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Guys, the OP is clearly looking at low end pianos which probably suggests some budget constraints. A kawai ES7 or VPC1 might be pretty far outside their budget. smile

To the OP The DGX 650 is a fine choice. It does have USB to host connectivity so it should be able to drive software pianos just fine.

In terms of price/features, the most comparable piano to the DGX 650 is the Casio Privia PX-350. It has very similar features and (arguably) a better keyboard action. Also the Px-350's optional stand has the option to include a triple pedal unit. And for song-writing ideas it also has a built in multi track sequencer.

It's definitely worth checking out.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
J
J
Hi, I helped a friend buy a CASIO Privia PX5-S stage piano yesterday, and if you can stretch your budget that far, you'd be getting a very good all round DP with heaps of bang for buck. While at the music shop I saw a new Yamaha P115....and I really didn't like the keyboard action at all. I am pretty fussy, but was very pleasantly surprised by the very nice action on the Casio PX5-S. It works great as a controller too.

Last edited by Just Alan; 04/02/15 09:47 AM.

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Guys, the OP is clearly looking at low end pianos which probably suggests some budget constraints. A kawai ES7 or VPC1 might be pretty far outside their budget. smile

That's why I said: "If you want to stay inside the budget of the aforementioned pianos...." wink

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission