Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#240546 - 08/23/08 01:08 AM Yamaha G3 value
manana_socool Offline

Hello,

I'm still searching a piano for my 6 year old daughter.

I found this Yamaha G3 (made in 1989), great condition, low mileage, one owner, not grey market. The seller is asking for $7900. Do you think it's a good deal?

Thanks in advance!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#240547 - 08/23/08 02:07 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Have you checked new price of C3 wich is the equivalent. See how much second hand C3 costs. It is newer and has a better sound.

Good luck

#240548 - 08/23/08 04:44 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
manana_socool Offline

Thanks.

I went to see the piano this morning. It's in perfect condition as the owner took good care of it in the past 20 years. It was barely played as the hammers look perfect. The price is not negotiable. Do you think it's a good buy?

I also saw an ad for a 9 month old C1 asking for 10K. I'm attempted. I know C1 (5'3") is much smaller than G3 (6'). But the piano is almost brand new.

#240549 - 08/23/08 04:59 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Beth K Offline

Loc: Indiana
I'd love to know the answer to this question, also. I went to see the G3 I am interested in this afternoon, and it was beautiful. Almost looked new and sounded wonderful (I am one who LIKES the bright tone). And I know it is in good condition inside because my piano tech has taken care of it. The one I'm looking at is from 1987 and the owner is asking $9500.

Hopefully some of the dealers can give us an idea if these are good prices.

Sohmer & Co. 77T (5'9") in Satin Ebony with PianoDisc IQ system

#240550 - 08/24/08 02:54 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

C3 and G3 are not quite equivalent. In my own research I found that G3's are a fair bit cheaper (even new) than C3's and I was told that the two have some construction differences, but that the G3 is a perfectly fine home piano....it just isn't quite a C3.

#240551 - 08/24/08 04:07 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Louis H. Bousquet Offline

Loc: Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Using Larry Fine's method on a C3 of the way you described it, would be $15,180 for a C3, but considering its a G3 , in my opinion its a fairish price. But Se if dealers can give you some information.

#240552 - 08/24/08 04:30 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Considering what you can get brand new for not a whole lot of money these days, I think these prices are ok for a C3, but maybe a little higher than I'd go for a lesser model. The pianos are, after all, 20 years old. As far as the hammers? Those can be shaved down to look like new. Have your own tech check it out.

Be sure to check the serial numbers to be sure of their age and that they are not gray market. I have heard of a whole lot of them on here that were advertised as newer than they were and were, despite the story, gray market.

In the words of Ronald Reagan, trust... but verify.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#240553 - 08/24/08 04:35 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Beth K Offline

And gray market is always bad? I'm confused because several people on here seem to think that gray market isn't necessarily a deal breaker. I ask because the one I'm looking at doesn't come up on the Yamaha website when I check the serial number. But I know that the seller got the piano from my tech and his store prides itself on having very good pianos.

#240554 - 08/24/08 04:39 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Beth - do some searches on gray market. You might ask in the Piano Technicians forum too.

You can decide if it is a deal breaker for you or not, but in any event you ough to know one way or the other. Given that you can't find the serial number I'd say either you have picked up the wrong number, or you have a gray market piano. If you post it here some of the techs and sales pros should be able to tell you.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#240555 - 08/24/08 07:34 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

Gray market pianos have serial numbers, too.

#240556 - 08/24/08 08:15 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That is true. But in teh past we have seen that Yamahas have different number formats for domestic and export models.

====

#240557 - 08/25/08 10:27 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
tm3 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
interesting thread to me, as i once was trying to pin down the value of a late 80's G3.

the local yamaha dealer had "appraised" the value at $20k. the seller however needed to move the piano and was willing to take $18k. \:D

it was easy to pass at that price, but i've still wondered what a reasonable price would have been assuming of course that it was in good condition.

#240558 - 08/25/08 10:39 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I think that a 9 month old C1 is a better choice the a 20 year old G3. Piano building has improved the last decades and problems have been adressed and fixed.
Your daughter is 6 and has a lot of years to play on it. In a normal house a 5.3 grand is fine. The sound is beautiful and your home is not a concert hall ;\)
In 10 or 15 years when she becomes famous you can alway upgrade to bigger if needed \:D
This is ofcourse only my opinion.

Regards,
Patrick

#240559 - 08/25/08 11:03 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
athomik Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by mikhailoh:
That is true. But in teh past we have seen that Yamahas have different number formats for domestic and export models. [/b]
Usually, Yamaha serial numbers have a letter before the number if they were produced anywhere other than Japan.The particular letter denotes the factory, i.e. Japanese Yamaha pianos usually have just a straight number, irrespective of destination.

#240560 - 08/26/08 12:11 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Beth K Offline

Well that is something I hadn't heard...the piano I'm looking at has an A before the number.

#240561 - 08/26/08 01:20 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
 Quote:
Originally posted by athomik:
 Quote:
That is true. But in teh past we have seen that Yamahas have different number formats for domestic and export models. [/b]
Usually, Yamaha serial numbers have a letter before the number if they were produced anywhere other than Japan.The particular letter denotes the factory, i.e. Japanese Yamaha pianos usually have just a straight number, irrespective of destination. [/b]
I would agree with that as for the "T" designation but for all the other letters I've seen,I think it denotes the scale and approx.age designation especially "gray market pianos" Ex.U1G,U1H,U1M,U1A Ex.C3B,C3E,C3A All of these were manufactured in the Japanese factory.
Even until fairly recent,non gray market pianos had a letter designation. ex.U1E,G1J etc.
Beth,By the way the "A" designation are the newer gray market mdls. nice piano! if in good shape!
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#240562 - 08/26/08 02:24 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
Beth K Offline

Thanks for that info, pianobroker! This piano is actually in great shape, looks nearly brand new, and my tech says its in good musical condition, too. That being said, do you think $9500 is a good price (it's a 1987 piano)?

#240563 - 08/26/08 02:45 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Beth,I've had a few G3A(s) over the years.I thought they were very nice pianos but not at the same performance level as a comparable condition C3.$9500 is a bit on the high side in my book in that a comprable 20 year old C3 is obtainable for a few grand more so.....I would think 8Kish is
more realistic. The original poster found a 1989 G3 for $7900 so you should consider the same approx. price point. Good luck!
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#240564 - 08/26/08 05:23 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

My C3 is a 1993 and it was $11,800 wholesale (plus bench, plus shipping, plus broker's fee plus local delivery and set-up). Perusing the wholesalers' prices, it looked to me like the pianos dropped about $100 per year vintage, so a 1987 ought to be about $11,200 for a C3. Thus a G3 of that same age, I concur, would likely run about $8,000 wholesale. Buying it through a delaer or someone like Rick Jones, it might be closer to $12K, given that his C3's of about the age of mine tend to run around $16K. Just a guess with a little hypothetical arithmetic.

#240565 - 08/26/08 11:02 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value
athomik Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
 Quote:
Originally posted by athomik:
 Quote:
Usually, Yamaha serial numbers have a letter before the number if they were produced anywhere other than Japan.The particular letter denotes the factory, i.e. Japanese Yamaha pianos usually have just a straight number, irrespective of destination. [/b]
I would agree with that as for the "T" designation but for all the other letters I've seen,I think it denotes the scale and approx.age designation especially "gray market pianos" Ex.U1G,U1H,U1M,U1A Ex.C3B,C3E,C3A All of these were manufactured in the Japanese factory.
Even until fairly recent,non gray market pianos had a letter designation. ex.U1E,G1J etc.
Beth,By the way the "A" designation are the newer gray market mdls. nice piano! if in good shape! [/b]
Those letters are part of the model number not the serial number (i.e. C3 M[/b] ). They denote the different versions of a particular model, with M being the current version of the 'C' series. These versions have various changes which may include scaling, construction and cosmetics. The letters before the serial number printed on the frame usually indicate where the piano was produced.

#1154932 - 02/28/09 09:49 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value [Re: SantaFe_Player]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Gray market pianos have serial numbers, too.

That's why I recommend anybody buying form a grey-market dealer to reveal the original 'rating' of the piano.

These ratings are original supplier's lists for the dealer before he buys his stock.

It's either A,B, or C plus or minus marks

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (02/28/09 09:51 PM)

#1154963 - 02/28/09 10:58 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value [Re: Norbert]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Why is everyone replying to last year's old thread?

#1310878 - 11/23/09 11:12 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value [Re: Konzert Patrick]
Nicholas Markle Offline

piano building has actually got quite bad recently because now yamahas are all nearly computer built and rarley ever see human hands. even steinway has had to cut corners. the g3 was made when piano making was high quality. if it is a g3e it would be superior to the c3(plus a g3e sounds more like a steinway)

#1310889 - 11/23/09 11:24 AM Re: Yamaha G3 value [Re: Nicholas Markle]
Brent B Offline

Loc: Western/Central PA
Originally Posted By: Nicholas Markle
piano building has actually got quite bad recently because now yamahas are all nearly computer built and rarley ever see human hands. even steinway has had to cut corners. the g3 was made when piano making was high quality. if it is a g3e it would be superior to the c3(plus a g3e sounds more like a steinway)

uh, ok smirk

Interesting reply to a very old thread.

#1310955 - 11/23/09 01:23 PM Re: Yamaha G3 value [Re: Brent B]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nicholas,

On what experience do you base your observation/conclusion,
"piano building has actually got quite bad recently"?
You premise, "yamahas are all nearly computer built and rarley ever see human hands" is ludicrous.

I don't know of a single company/factory that is building inferior instruments to what they were building five or ten years ago. Nearly every piano product on the market continues to evolve in a positive way. There are still tons of man-hours in hand work on Yamahas and Kawais.

Computers have little or nothing to do with assembly (building). Computers have been used for years for CAD in the design and drafting processes, CAE in the engineering processes and layout, and CNC in the wood cutting and metal working. CNC usage has been hearalded by even the most stringent conservatives for delivering upmost accuracy and consistancy.

I have seen no evidence that Steinway & Sons is "cutting corners" compared to its materials and manufacturing techniques of ten or even twenty years ago.

A brand new Yamaha C3, or Kawai RX-3, or Steinway & Sons B is evolutionary up the ladder from those of decades past.

Your contention that a 20 year old Yamaha G3 would be superior in performance to a new Yamaha C3 is awfully reactionary and defies significant improvements in the product.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (accordeur, 36251, antony, AmateurBob, 23 invisible), 1157 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
>
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250662 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission