2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Neil000 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi there,

We are buying an upright piano for my wife (who plays a lot) to play and my young son to learn on. We went to a local piano shop with an open mind expecting to look at a few new and a few newish second hand pianos but ended up loving the feel and sound of a 1935 Steinway model V. The asking price (~£8k) is a bit more than we had expected to be paying but it felt like a lovey piano and appeared to be in good condition, from a reputable dealer. However, we don't know very much about piano aging and maintenance. Would we be taking on a significant ongoing liability for maintenance and replacement parts, meaning that the extra cost isn't just in the upfront price but also something we have to consider as an annual cost? Is there anything else we should worry about or check before buying such an old piano?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Has it been rebuilt? Do you get a warranty with it?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
From my experience, the soundboard, bridges and pin blocks on these older Steinways are almost indestructible. You would want an assurance that the tuning pins are all sufficiently tight, and none are below 80 in/lbs.

The major concern is in the action. You should ask the seller if there is, or has been any treatment for, a verdigris problem. This is a corrosion residue that is almost unique to Steinways. It causes the action to begin freezing up, and there are temporary fixes, but ultimately, most verdigris actions I have seen will begin to fail. The only sure fix is replacement.
Regards,

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
£8,000 for a 1935 Steinway upright is a fairly normal price from a dealer. I would want it to have a reconditioned action as Ed Foote has said (or a replacement action - even better - but I doubt at that price it will have).

Rarely do Steinway uprights require a new soundboard so if it has a good tone just now, that's a good sign.

In your situation however, I would look at some new pianos for the same price. At that level you can buy a Yamaha YUS1 or YUS3. I would also go to Blüthner and look at Rönisch and Haessler uprights - very good hand built German pianos that are made by Blüthner craftsmen in the Blüthner factory in Leipzig.

I would also go to Peregrine's Pianos near King's Cross and inspect the full range of Schimmel pianos - they have all three tiers of Schimmel pianos in stock so there would be something in your price range.

I would go to Steinway Hall themselves and try out the Boston uprights - some of them can be beautiful pianos, and then finally I would go to Jacques Samuels and try some of the Grotrian and Kawai uprights. It's likely that the Grotrians will be outwith your budget, but the Kawais won't be.

If the action of the Steinway you are looking at is in good condition, and you are happy to pay the £8,000, then go for it but personally I wouldn't want to pay more than £5,000 or £6,000 for an 80 year old Steinway upright.

YAMAHA Artist
N
Neil000 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you all so much for the very helpful replies! We feel like we know more of what to ask if we decide to go with the Steinway, but I think we need to try a few more pianos first. Thanks Joe80 for the great recommendations - we'll try some of those. We did try some Kawais already and quite liked a few, but they were a little on the bright side for our personal preferences, especially compared to the warm, rich sound of the Steinway.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission