2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Lately I've been really interested in the art of practicing. As a college pianist I kind of have to learn pieces quickly and pretty much perfectly so I want to be able to do that as efficiently as possible.

Please leave tips, thoughts, and advice for us to all share and learn from!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
1. Learn the notes securely first. Then worry about speed (with the caveat that if it is a fast piece make sure your fingerings work faster)
2. If something seems to be harder than it should be, double check the fingering.

There's also been a study done that shows what top practicers do differently. Here's the link to a blog post about the study.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
MRC Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
This is a huge subject. Some snippets:

1. Good practising has a plan.

Read though a new piece and get a good global musical idea of it. In your mind, define your goal: how should it sound when you've learnt it?

Now look at the technical side: where are the hardest passages? These are the passages you should learn first!

Is there a passage with a particular technical difficulty, a real challenge? You might want to derive a technical exercise from this passage, something that you can work on several times a day.

2. Good practising uses hands separately or together as necessary.

You start working on a new passage. The first thing you want to do is to take it apart, put in a fingering for the right hand and a fingering for the left hand. As soon as you have fingerings that work, try both hands together: do the fingerings still make sense, or should you change something to facilitate the coordination between the hands? If necessary, try a new fingering.

If you are constantly and consciously alternating between hands together and hands separately, it's a good sign.

3. Good practising uses both slow and fast speeds.

Slow practice is essential, but you need to play at speed as well, to make sure that your movements are suitable for the final speed. Practice a short passage slowly, then try it at the correct speed. Does it simply work to speed up the slow movements, or do you need to review your hand choreography? When it's clear how the hands should be moving at speed, go back to slow practice. Make sure you are really doing a slowed down version of how the passage should be played up to speed.

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would add that, besides the overall practice plan that MRC has wisely suggested, you also have a plan for each practice session, with very specific goals in mind before you begin.

Make notes on the score. Not just fingerings, but dynamic indications, articulations, phrasing, etc.

If time is limited, do not waste time playing what you already know. Work on the problems areas.

Using both slow and fast practice is key, as noted above. Another thing that fast practice accomplishes, besides exposing errors in fingering, improper hand position and other mechanical functions, it also tells the brain "this is how fast this is supposed to be played." You have to think and hear fast to be able to play fast.

Last edited by DameMyra; 04/04/15 10:53 PM.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Do everything all the time. That means if you're working on say, sound, don't neglect other things like phrasing/intention, etc. If you're working memory, don't NOT do everything else. If you're working on, I don't know.. evenness of a passage, don't turn it into a mechanical exercise. Do everything all the time.

Make sure your brain doesn't wander - focus. (also important to take breaks - for me, I take one 5-7 min break every hour) It's important to know WHY a mistake keeps happening in order to find a way to fix it. When you do that, it will not become a persistent problem.

So many people practice by repeating repeating repeating, and there's no intelligent approach or experimenting. A practice room should be like a lab, not like a gym.

This is all very general though. Practicing differs depending on which stage you're at with a work. Whether you just started it, or you're just getting to memorizing, or you have a performance/recording/whatever in two weeks. Your practice sessions shouldn't be the same for all of these, but they should have similar contents - the focus, listening, etc.

I also always try to remember that when you perform, your brain is instantly somehow more focused and tuned in - so why don't we do that when we practice too?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Do everything all the time. That means if you're working on say, sound, don't neglect other things like phrasing/intention, etc. If you're working memory, don't NOT do everything else. If you're working on, I don't know.. evenness of a passage, don't turn it into a mechanical exercise. Do everything all the time.

YES. I noticed a huge jump in learning speed when I started doing this. It takes more minutes to learn each page, but it takes fewer days to get to the point where you can play through competently.

A practice room should be like a lab, not like a gym.

Perfectly put!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
>I want to be able to do that (practicing) as efficiently as possible.

Maybe this is old hat, but here is a video on exactly that concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5ljgUP9lg

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Do everything all the time. That means if you're working on say, sound, don't neglect other things like phrasing/intention, etc. If you're working memory, don't NOT do everything else.

That's good advice.

Poetry is rhythm
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich
This is all very general though. Practicing differs depending on which stage you're at with a work.
I think it also depends on the level of the student. For example, your idea of focusing on everything at once might not be appropriate for a less advanced student.
Originally Posted by Pogorelich
I also always try to remember that when you perform, your brain is instantly somehow more focused and tuned in - so why don't we do that when we practice too?
Maybe because the effort required is so great for most people. Although I don't practice much anymore, it was always very exhausting for me, and I wasn't even concentrating that hard.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wasn't performing exhausting too?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Also, for the level - if the student had a good teacher, it shouldn't be overwhelming for him. A good teacher will not overload a student with too many things at once and will know what is appropriate.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission