2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MrCurlz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone!

I am 19 and decided I am going to start playing the piano. However I have hit a few walls already...

As of now I am not able to get a teacher and probably will not be able to until around October but I am not going to do nothing until then! So I decided to join this forum for help. grin

I want to learn how to play both classical music and modern songs/soundtracks (from movies/games, etc). However since I am not sure I can develop both playing styles at the same time from the start I would prefer if I learnt the classical style first.

I just started the 'Alfred Piano Course Book 1' today and managed to get quite a bit done but before I go on I want to make sure I am heading the right way with this book.

I have two long term goals and they are:
- Reach grade 8 piano (I realise this can take many, many, many years...)
- Compose my own pieces

In other words I want to be an all rounded player. So any tips and advice will be great.

Please recommend me good books or websites for classical learning. I was thinking of getting the ABRSM books but not too sure.

Thanks! smile

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
This is my best suggestion ...

http://www.fundamentalkeys.com

Since you are a complete beginner I would suggest that you DO NOT purchase the old version of her book but instead ...

Purchase Book 1 of the newest edition and the videos that go with it and start in ...

Do not hurry through things. Take your time and do things very well before moving on.

Good Luck

Last edited by dmd; 04/15/15 09:29 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
best advice of course is get a teacher.

I agree with dmd about Fundamental Keys, although I have not used it many people here are impressed with its classical approach. the Alfred series although good does not have any classical pieces (and some not even originals) until book 2.

Other advice includes read about efficient practice and slow practice, keeping a practice log. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone book I picked up most of this stuff from here which is a brilliant resource.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Someone in another thread recommended this site for classical piano music.

http://artistworks.com/piano-lessons-christie-peery

It looks very good to me, also.

If I was more into classical music or just beginning my journey I would certainly give that a look. For only $240 per year you have access to a well thought-out selection of videos and then you can also send in a video of yourself playing and she will send back a video of things you should work on that you might no be doing just right. It looks terrific.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
MrCurlz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by dmd
This is my best suggestion ...

http://www.fundamentalkeys.com

Since you are a complete beginner I would suggest that you DO NOT purchase the old version of her book but instead ...

Purchase Book 1 of the newest edition and the videos that go with it and start in ...

Do not hurry through things. Take your time and do things very well before moving on.

Good Luck

Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered the book. It look good so should be worth it. Have you worked through it before?

M
MrCurlz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by dmd

If I was more into classical music or just beginning my journey I would certainly give that a look. For only $240 per year you have access to a well thought-out selection of videos and then you can also send in a video of yourself playing and she will send back a video of things you should work on that you might no be doing just right. It looks terrific.

Hmm it does look quite good, almost too good which make me a little bit sceptical. I would like to sign up for the yearly contract but is it worth the risk?

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by earlofmar

This can hardly get enough emphasis..
Considering your goals I am quite sure you can hardly do without. Of course you can play the piano well over time. But going to Grade8+ without a teacher in a reasonable time? No way.
If you decide to get a teacher after some time, you start from minus one.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wimpiano

This is a hard concept to grasp for a beginner but is probably true.

It is natural to think you can work on the "easy" stuff by yourself and then get a teacher for the "hard" stuff.

Truth is, it does not seem to work that way. Starting by yourself seems to cause one to do the WRONG THINGS and then when you get a teacher, you have to UNDO those things before you can begin.

I know ... you think you will be the exception to this.

Ok ... Good Luck

Don

A
A
Originally Posted by MrCurlz
Originally Posted by dmd

Hmm it does look quite good, almost too good which make me a little bit sceptical. I would like to sign up for the yearly contract but is it worth the risk?

I was also hesitant to sign up for a year, so I picked the monthly one, so I could cancel if I wanted to. for me its the closest to a in person teacher I can get. Im quite happy with it and if I ever pick up another instrument Ill pick another artistwork teacher.

(incidentally they have a teacher for non classical piano as well)

RCM grade: Prepatory
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano
Originally Posted by earlofmar

This can hardly get enough emphasis..
Considering your goals I am quite sure you can hardly do without. Of course you can play the piano well over time. But going to Grade8+ without a teacher in a reasonable time? No way.

Amazing how many people think they are better without it.
The only thing we can do, I guess, is to stress the concept, than is ultimately up to the OP to decide if use one or not.

If I said I can't buy a car but want to get to work, nonetheless;what's the best method? I would not think that a response saying get a car would make sense. So if I can't get a teacher until October but want to excel, what advice would make sense? Notwithstanding a teacher, presumably as aforementioned. IMHO, Alfred's seems like a great start.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by HalfStep
If I said I can't buy a car but want to get to work, nonetheless;what's the best method? I would not think that a response saying get a car would make sense. So if I can't get a teacher until October but want to excel, what advice would make sense? Notwithstanding a teacher, presumably as aforementioned. IMHO, Alfred's seems like a great start.

I think the message is more like ...

If I want to get to work and I can't buy a car AND work is 100 miles north of here, should I start walking south until I can find a car ?

I think the answer was ... no. Stop where you are until you can buy a car because walking south will only make it further to work when you get a car.

The message was ... working on your own will only make you further from your goal when you do get a teacher.

I know that is a message you do not want to hear but it may actually be true. I would give it some consideration.

Don

M
MrCurlz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I can't afford a teacher at the moment and I also have no set time to give per week as my weekly working hours change, etc. So what everyone is saying is basically don't practice the piano for about 6 months until I get a teacher? That's half a year wasted... it's as if the general rule is don't bother playing the piano if you can't afford a teacher.

A
A
I think the idea that you cant learn piano without an in person piano lesson is BS
online lessons or the alfred series is a good idea for a start. a person can learn alot with that.
I wont have an in person piano lesson as long as I live where I do (the nearest teacher is over 300km away) so I use online lessons. I prefer online to books alone as it gives me a visual to compare my posture, fingering, wrists and such to.

RCM grade: Prepatory
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
There are some teachers who have been using Skype to give "remote lessons". They get both an audio, and video, link to the student.

There's a concert violinist in New York who's been using a very-high-quality A/V link to teach students in the Middle East. Either Manhattan School of Music, or Julliard -- it should be on the Web, somewhere.

Ronnie Seldin (a shakuhachi player and teacher) has been using Skype, I think. He says it's not as good as being in the same room, but it's _way_ better than an audio-only lesson, or no lesson at all.

For somebody in a remote location, who has a fairly fast Internet connection, that would be worth a try.

. Charles (in Richmond, BC)

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I've not posted much this week. I'm compensating... wink

Being an all round player
A good all-rounder can play from a score or from memory, they can also learn music by ear or make it up as they go along as variations or free improvisation.

The daily routine should cover reading skills by playing accurately but slowly from a score and also by compromising accuracy or detail in order to keep time. It should cover memorising at least a few bars of music. It should include some ear training, picking out melodies or harmonising them. You might include developing variations from themes or free improvisation from harmonic progressions. Composition is a step on from there.

After a year or two it's helpful to include some time for technical skills that are commonly encountered in the music such as scales, arpeggios, chords or broken chords, trills, octaves, leaps, syncopation or polyrhythms. It's easy to overdo this. Scales are a small part of the whole and easiest to focus on but I don't believe they benefit beginners. Repertoire is king. Concentrate on repertoire and learning new material.

Classical music gernerally tends to work both hands evenly and tests precision and accuracy as well as interpretation and expression. It engages the brain as much as the body and the greater challenge provides greater rewards. Song accompaniment gives an easier time though it needn't be any less enjoyable. Think of the differences between strumming a folk guitar and playing classical guitar.

The time and effort involved in classical music doesn't make you sound any better in comparison - it just allows you to enjoy more stimulating and satisfying music.

Alfred's is geared towards accompaniment and is a very poor start for classical or solo piano compared to, say, the Hal Leonard series. Any method approach, though, needs supplementation and no book or video can give you the most important ingredients - direction, correction and solutions.

The Teacher Debate
In the end we teach ourselves to play piano and its our own effort and application that makes the difference not the teacher. A teacher will save the hours incurred from incorrect assumptions, misunderstandings or musical and technical cul-de-sacs, the 'bad habits' that really do impede progress. I have no statistics to show their frequency but a good teacher is less common and bad teachers do exist but time spent without a teacher need not be wasted.

Reaching Grade 8 is within the ability of any normal beginner in around six to ten years with a good teacher. I don't believe it's possible for the average person to reach that level without a teacher. It needs too much knowledge and experience in order to start out well and avoid the impediments of misguided practise but I do believe you can get close. It will, though, take several years more - at least double the time with lots more discipline, diligence, research and intelligent application but this forum, as has been mentioned, makes up a lot for that. The most important ingredients a teacher provides is quick solutions to technical problems that may hound us for years on our own and the ability to spot weaknesses before they grow out of proportion and become detrimental to technique.

Piano playing is a technique. You don't need to reach mastery by the early teens. You can take it up in retirement and still reach mastery. But mastery is very rare without a teacher whenever you start. As an allegory, many enjoy chess or golf without a teacher but precious few reach strong club level or low handicap without one. It's not just about practice.

Good Practice
One of the most fundamental skills is learning new material and no method book I've ever encountered develops the requisite techniques. You really do need to tackle significant pieces that cannot be learnt just by continually reading through, pieces that will take several weeks to overcome, that will be absorbed into the memory (which is necessary for reading and technical development), and that are of sufficiently good quality that you can play them frequently without boredom or without continually trying to improve.

It is the application of effort in this last part that determines the overall progress. The last 20% of achievement takes 80% of the time and effort. You simply cannot develop this fundamental skill on pieces that you've not known and worked on for only short periods.

One of the more enlightening lessons from the recent Schumann recital and the forty piece challenge is that easy music isn't really easy. It just presents less demanding technical requirements. How we go about learning new material is what separates the better students. The better players take small sections, small enough that they can played as well as their current technique allows but in a short time, and they reach that level before extending the section size.

Working one phrase at a time is the norm because a phrase is musically complete and short enough to be mastered quickly. The key point is that it is mastered before it is joined onto the adjacent phrases and when it's played, after it's learnt, it's only played well. It is never blundered through, allowing wrong notes and poor phrasing and hoping that it'll sort itself out later - which it seldom does.

If you take, for example, the Andante from Mozart's Sonata in C, K. 545. There is not a single bar of music there that will stump a typical adult beginner with enough concentration and effort over a period of time. The music is also high enough in quality to withstand years of knowing it and playing it. And years is what it will take to be able to play it with the sensitivity it deserves.

Played in phrases it is quite achievable but playing it through, well, as a whole piece is a huge challenge and demands individual mastery over each phrase on its own over many weeks.

No-one other than Bach engages both hands, both halves of the brain and all fingers with same rigour and training. If you aren't working towards (towards, not necessarily on) Bach Inventions from early on you're simply kicking tin cans down the road where you should really be starting out with dribbling skills on a real football. Kicking is a physical skill that comes readily with practise. Understanding how to control a ball and how it behaves requires knowledge, time and experience - and large amounts of each.

Richard
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
great post Richard

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
K
Originally Posted by MrCurlz
I can't afford a teacher at the moment and I also have no set time to give per week as my weekly working hours change, etc. So what everyone is saying is basically don't practice the piano for about 6 months until I get a teacher? That's half a year wasted... it's as if the general rule is don't bother playing the piano if you can't afford a teacher.

Of course it is possible to start and study on your own, but this necessitates also to be very vigilant and avoid to get into bad habits... sfter all, you don't have a teacher by your side to correct your posture etc. when necessary ...
It is also important to avoid putting any pressure on yourself concerning your future-goals... after all: playing the piano as a hobby is supposed to be your fun and your relaxation...

Good luck!

M
MrCurlz Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I've not posted much this week. I'm compensating... wink

Being an all round player
A good all-rounder can play from a score or from memory, they can also learn music by ear or make it up as they go along as variations or free improvisation.

The daily routine should cover reading skills by playing accurately but slowly from a score and also by compromising accuracy or detail in order to keep time. It should cover memorising at least a few bars of music. It should include some ear training, picking out melodies or harmonising them. You might include developing variations from themes or free improvisation from harmonic progressions. Composition is a step on from there.

After a year or two it's helpful to include some time for technical skills that are commonly encountered in the music such as scales, arpeggios, chords or broken chords, trills, octaves, leaps, syncopation or polyrhythms. It's easy to overdo this. Scales are a small part of the whole and easiest to focus on but I don't believe they benefit beginners. Repertoire is king. Concentrate on repertoire and learning new material.

Classical music gernerally tends to work both hands evenly and tests precision and accuracy as well as interpretation and expression. It engages the brain as much as the body and the greater challenge provides greater rewards. Song accompaniment gives an easier time though it needn't be any less enjoyable. Think of the differences between strumming a folk guitar and playing classical guitar.

The time and effort involved in classical music doesn't make you sound any better in comparison - it just allows you to enjoy more stimulating and satisfying music.

Alfred's is geared towards accompaniment and is a very poor start for classical or solo piano compared to, say, the Hal Leonard series. Any method approach, though, needs supplementation and no book or video can give you the most important ingredients - direction, correction and solutions.

The Teacher Debate
In the end we teach ourselves to play piano and its our own effort and application that makes the difference not the teacher. A teacher will save the hours incurred from incorrect assumptions, misunderstandings or musical and technical cul-de-sacs, the 'bad habits' that really do impede progress. I have no statistics to show their frequency but a good teacher is less common and bad teachers do exist but time spent without a teacher need not be wasted.

Reaching Grade 8 is within the ability of any normal beginner in around six to ten years with a good teacher. I don't believe it's possible for the average person to reach that level without a teacher. It needs too much knowledge and experience in order to start out well and avoid the impediments of misguided practise but I do believe you can get close. It will, though, take several years more - at least double the time with lots more discipline, diligence, research and intelligent application but this forum, as has been mentioned, makes up a lot for that. The most important ingredients a teacher provides is quick solutions to technical problems that may hound us for years on our own and the ability to spot weaknesses before they grow out of proportion and become detrimental to technique.

Piano playing is a technique. You don't need to reach mastery by the early teens. You can take it up in retirement and still reach mastery. But mastery is very rare without a teacher whenever you start. As an allegory, many enjoy chess or golf without a teacher but precious few reach strong club level or low handicap without one. It's not just about practice.

Good Practice
One of the most fundamental skills is learning new material and no method book I've ever encountered develops the requisite techniques. You really do need to tackle significant pieces that cannot be learnt just by continually reading through, pieces that will take several weeks to overcome, that will be absorbed into the memory (which is necessary for reading and technical development), and that are of sufficiently good quality that you can play them frequently without boredom or without continually trying to improve.

It is the application of effort in this last part that determines the overall progress. The last 20% of achievement takes 80% of the time and effort. You simply cannot develop this fundamental skill on pieces that you've not known and worked on for only short periods.

One of the more enlightening lessons from the recent Schumann recital and the forty piece challenge is that easy music isn't really easy. It just presents less demanding technical requirements. How we go about learning new material is what separates the better students. The better players take small sections, small enough that they can played as well as their current technique allows but in a short time, and they reach that level before extending the section size.

Working one phrase at a time is the norm because a phrase is musically complete and short enough to be mastered quickly. The key point is that it is mastered before it is joined onto the adjacent phrases and when it's played, after it's learnt, it's only played well. It is never blundered through, allowing wrong notes and poor phrasing and hoping that it'll sort itself out later - which it seldom does.

If you take, for example, the Andante from Mozart's Sonata in C, K. 545. There is not a single bar of music there that will stump a typical adult beginner with enough concentration and effort over a period of time. The music is also high enough in quality to withstand years of knowing it and playing it. And years is what it will take to be able to play it with the sensitivity it deserves.

Played in phrases it is quite achievable but playing it through, well, as a whole piece is a huge challenge and demands individual mastery over each phrase on its own over many weeks.

No-one other than Bach engages both hands, both halves of the brain and all fingers with same rigour and training. If you aren't working towards (towards, not necessarily on) Bach Inventions from early on you're simply kicking tin cans down the road where you should really be starting out with dribbling skills on a real football. Kicking is a physical skill that comes readily with practise. Understanding how to control a ball and how it behaves requires knowledge, time and experience - and large amounts of each.

Thanks for you reply, really helpful post! What you say makes a lot of sense so I'll try my best to follow the advice. grin

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission