Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, aesop, anotherscott, armani, 31 invisible), 1307 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2411096 - 04/17/15 12:51 AM Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Good afternoon folks,

I'm delighted to announce that the English version of Kawai's 'Touch Notation' scoring app is now available for iOS in the AppStore.

Touch Notation: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id890358046
Touch Notation Free: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id905828734

The paid version of the app is currently being offered at a special introductory price of $7.99 (33% off) until the end of the month, whereupon it will return to the standard price of $11.99.

The free version has a few saving/exporting restrictions, but is otherwise fully functional.

Regardless of whether you're used to scoring music with a pen/pencil or a mouse, please feel free to give Touch Notation a try and let us know what you think.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2411153 - 04/17/15 06:31 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
A cool app at a reasonable price, increases the pressure on me to get an iPad. smirk

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2411154 - 04/17/15 06:32 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
That looks impressive James. I'll definitely try it out. Do you know, can it do lead sheets too, i.e, can it recognize chord symbols? Also can it display guitar tabs for accompaniment chords?

#2411158 - 04/17/15 06:49 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
Is there any iOS device with an input pen, of which the "Touch Notation" app would benefit from?

I think of a device like a Samsung Galaxy Note, which features a digital pen.

#2411166 - 04/17/15 07:08 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
500 Post Club Member

Iophiomys,
you can get a stylus that works with iOS devices. They're possibly more comfortable than simply using a finger, but I'm not sure if they are any more precise.

#2411177 - 04/17/15 08:13 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: lophiomys]

Originally Posted By lophiomys
Is there any iOS device with an input pen, of which the "Touch Notation" app would benefit from?

Not yet, but perhaps that will change with the introduction of the iPad Pro later this year?
Until then, and for all other iOS users, there are plenty of options available for those looking to use a touch pen with their device.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2411183 - 04/17/15 08:20 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Pete14 Online   content

Can the app be used as a music reader as well; like forScore?

#2411188 - 04/17/15 08:26 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: fizikisto]

Originally Posted By fizikisto
That looks impressive James. I'll definitely try it out. Do you know, can it do lead sheets too, i.e, can it recognize chord symbols? Also can it display guitar tabs for accompaniment chords?

Chord input and accompaniment backgrounds are available as in-app purchase, however guitar tab input is currently not possible.

King regards,
James
x

#2411212 - 04/17/15 08:51 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
ElmerJFudd Offline

Good show, James.

Instresting that Kawai is interested in sinking $$$ into iOS software. Maybe it's to have a presence on the app store for marketing purposes?

#2411226 - 04/17/15 09:44 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: ElmerJFudd]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
Instresting that Kawai is interested in sinking $$$ into iOS software. Maybe it's to have a presence on the app store for marketing purposes?

Kawai is pretty serious about music software. They produce a number of products, including a couple of other iOS offerings, for sale in Japan. You can get some information about this if you ask Google to translate:

http://cmusic.kawai.jp/products/index.htm

I think a more interesting question would be whether they intend to follow the lead of Korg and others, and begin producing virtual instruments for iOS and other platforms!

Cheers,

B.

#2411231 - 04/17/15 09:58 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Digitalguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Not available outside the US apparently.... frown
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2411237 - 04/17/15 10:12 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
ElmerJFudd Offline

Indeed, some beautifully sampled Kawai pianos in Software would be great... Especially for products like the VPC-1. You know I also really enjoyed the K series synths when Kawai was working in that area. Still have a K1 I pull out of storage now and again for nostalgia.

#2411244 - 04/17/15 10:35 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Dan Clark Offline

Loc: Bellevue, WA USA
James,

Downloaded free. Liked it. Bought paid. Very much liked it. Bought full sound set.

I'm using this on an iPad Mini. Even with the small screen, it is excellent. The little circles take a bit of getting used to, but the manual is very well written. Of course, I've only used it for about 45 minutes total. smile

The export feature looks great. MIDI and Music XML export means I can load this into Sibelius. thumb thumb

In general, this is a great app. As a version 1.0 app, it is amazing. I predict major success.

Best regards,

Dan.

#2411391 - 04/17/15 08:51 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
500 Post Club Member

James, thanks! It's a really cool little app. I'll spread the word where I can. Hope that it's very successful. smile

Edited by fizikisto (04/17/15 08:52 PM)

#2411395 - 04/17/15 09:17 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
siros Online   content

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
The apps are not available in Thailand store. frown

#2411880 - 04/19/15 08:53 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: slowtraveler]

Originally Posted By slowtraveler
I think a more interesting question would be whether they intend to follow the lead of Korg and others, and begin producing virtual instruments for iOS and other platforms!

Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
You know I also really enjoyed the K series synths when Kawai was working in that area. Still have a K1 I pull out of storage now and again for nostalgia.

A virtual K5000 for iOS would be pretty awesome! wink

Cheers,
James
x

#2411883 - 04/19/15 08:58 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: siros]

Originally Posted By Digitalguy
Not available outside the US apparently.... frown

Originally Posted By siros
The apps are not available in Thailand store. frown

Thank you for the information. I will ask the Computer Music team to double-check the situation and make the necessary changes to allow this app to be available in all markets.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2411884 - 04/19/15 09:00 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: fizikisto]

Originally Posted By Dan Clark
Downloaded free. Liked it. Bought paid. Very much liked it. Bought full sound set.

I'm using this on an iPad Mini. Even with the small screen, it is excellent. The little circles take a bit of getting used to, but the manual is very well written. Of course, I've only used it for about 45 minutes total. smile

The export feature looks great. MIDI and Music XML export means I can load this into Sibelius. thumb thumb

In general, this is a great app. As a version 1.0 app, it is amazing. I predict major success.

Best regards,

Dan.

Originally Posted By fizikisto
James, thanks! It's a really cool little app. I'll spread the word where I can. Hope that it's very successful. smile

Thank you very much for the positive feedback chaps!
I will certainly pass this on to my colleagues in the Computer Music division.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2411916 - 04/19/15 11:02 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
James, perhaps you have already answered this question, but I wonder if there are any plans of migrating this app to Android (or Windows/Linux)

#2411929 - 04/19/15 11:55 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]

Hello Marcos,

I believe the Computer Music division are looking into the possibility of porting 'Touch Notation' to other platforms, however I don't believe any decisions have been made yet. I gather that the market for productivity apps on Android is relatively small compared to that of iOS.

I'd say Linux is highly unlikely, while Windows may be a possibility, given that we already have a number of music creation applications available for this platform (albeit in Japan only).

Kind regards,
James
x

#2412027 - 04/20/15 09:08 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Tralexer Offline

Purchased! Looking forward to giving it a shot.

#2413256 - Yesterday at 07:50 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]

A well-written 4 page review of Touch Notation from SibeliusBlog.com:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/touch-notation-by-kawai/

Kind regards,
James
x

#2413418 - Today at 08:10 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
sempianist Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By Kawai James
while Windows may be a possibility

Dear James,
This is great news. Are there any future plans to release Windows version of Virtual tecnician app for CA-97, too?
Cheers
Semih

Ex Casio CDP 120

#2413467 - Today at 10:33 AM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Pete14 Online   content

I do not recommend using a real pencil with this app. crazy

I attempted to erase a note with my pencil's eraser, and ended up with a pinkish residue on my screen that simply will not come off despite many hours of wiping and swiping. f

For the record: I was using a #2 pencil; which works beautifully with my pad, yet for some reason does not seem to get along with my ipad. Go figure! grin

#2413593 - Today at 04:51 PM Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]
Dan Clark Offline

Loc: Bellevue, WA USA
Originally Posted By Kawai James
A well-written 4 page review of Touch Notation from SibeliusBlog.com:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/touch-notation-by-kawai/

Kind regards,
James
x

James,

The second to last paragraph in the review is very interesting (bold highlight is mine):
Quote:
Kawai has taken a great deal of care to work with, and around, the existing limitations of the Apple iOS and hardware, which aren’t as conducive to writing music by hand as a native pen-and-touch system like the Surface. If Touch Notation has an Achilles’ heel for now, it’s those OS and device limitations, but that could quickly change if Apple delivers an iPad Pro with a larger screen and pen technology, as has been rumored.

While not everyone is using the Apple ecosystem, there are a huge number of iPad/iPhone users. My reaction to the Windows Surface Pro software - NotateMe 3 and Staffpad - was "Meh. Nice software, but I'm NOT buying a Surface Pro just for notation!" While getting a iPad Pro may not be on my to-buy list now, it's just an extension of my current Apple ecosystem. I.e. it should not be much hassle to start using an iPad Pro.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I've only tried it a couple of times, but Touch Notation seems to work fairly well with a Pencil by FiftyThree Digital Stylus for iPad: http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-FiftyThree-...stylus+for+ipad

#2413643 - 16 minutes 18 seconds ago Re: Kawai 'Touch Notation' iOS app now available [Re: Kawai James]

Thanks for the pen recommendation, Dan!

It remains to be seen if/when Apple will announce a new, larger, higher specification iPad. However, if the rumours and leaks are true, it could well compete with the Surface.

I agree about the Apple ecosystem, too. It's very convenient, but I prefer the flexibility of different platforms. Currently I use Windows, OS X, iOS, and Android across a range of devices.

Cheers,
James
x

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why American sound is different from European & Asian sound
by hoola
37 minutes 35 seconds ago
another "what to buy" question!
by StephS
Today at 07:24 PM
Books on improvisation
by haakonsb
Today at 05:22 PM
Help with Weinbach 124 made in czech republic
by dominic70s
Today at 04:44 PM
Clavinova's escapement simulation
by pv88
Today at 04:36 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,019 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,509 Topics
2,399,371 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission