2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MRC
Nothing odd about the 5,4,2,1 fingering: it's not only standard, it's perfectly logical.

It is standard and I do teach it; however, there are students who absolutely refuse to use the L.H. 4th finger in anything but stepwise passages. It's more for mental security than anything else.

Since their hands are big enough not to cause additional twisting, I do allow some students to use 5-3-2-1 in the L.H.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
A
OP Offline
A
So you went to Julliard, cool!:)

So you use the third finger for all major chords?, and minor also?
If so, do you use if for all arpeggios also?

I find this somewhat comfortable, but when you play the first inversion of chords you have to go back to the fourth or do you?
I think I have more tension with the third than the fourth, I use the third in C#, D , Eb, E, Ab, A, Bb, B with no tension.

I also use my third on octaves in chromatic double whites, It's great. I'm experimenting with 1,4 to 2,5 with octaves also, but my hands are a bit too small. I've always wondered why rachmaninov didn't use this (as I'm aware of) as he complained about octaves being harder with huge hands.

And thank you everyone for your ideas, I'm taking in as much as I can.
The total relaxation of unused fingers seems to work great for most chords and octaves. I just watched Volodos and he seems to be totally relaxed in the unused fingers in all those passages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qG9PZNJI_k

And by the way. Do you have any better example of great pianism than Volodos in this video? If so I would love to take part of it.

Alex

Last edited by Alexo1005; 04/16/15 06:25 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
5421 for a chord in that configuration is found in many Czerny exercises and other places. It's a perfectly legitimate choice. I prefer 5321 myself.

Since you asked for more examples, here's a great example of someone with great musical vitality and physical relaxation playing a piece with lots of double octaves -- her unused fingers flop around on the keys quite a bit during the octave playing.

And here is Gilles Vonsattel who is local to us now -- this is a performance from the Concours de Geneve. I think he's maybe the most relaxed pianist I've seen live.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by hreichgott
5421 for a chord in that configuration is found in many Czerny exercises and other places. It's a perfectly legitimate choice. I prefer 5321 myself.

Since you asked for more examples, here's a great example of someone with great musical vitality and physical relaxation playing a piece with lots of double octaves -- her unused fingers flop around on the keys quite a bit during the octave playing.

I don't know whether you're looking at what I'm looking at, but she played those double octaves like the vast majority of pianists (e.g. at 3:45) - indeed, with the three inside fingers sticking out, i.e. extended. Not relaxed at all, though her whole playing demeanour is of non-straining, as one would expect.

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The dotted half notes between 3:40 and 3:45 are an exception to the way she plays throughout the rest of the piece. I am sure it is a choice in order to get that sudden slightly harsh accent. One would not want that in all of one's octave playing.

The Vonsattel video might be a better example anyway because of the much better video quality and the great closeups of his hands.

Last edited by hreichgott; 04/17/15 02:36 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
B
B
The dotted half notes between 3:40 and 3:45 are an exception to the way she plays throughout the rest of the piece. I am sure it is a choice in order to get that sudden slightly harsh accent. One would not want that in all of one's octave playing.

The Vonsattel video might be a better example anyway because of the much better video quality and the great closeups of his hands.

If you look at his RH octaves (starting at 11:37), he is holding his inner fingers aloft - not completely straight out, but not relaxed either. But enough, so they don't slap down on the keys every time he plays an octave.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Alexo1005
So you went to Julliard, cool!:)

So you use the third finger for all major chords?, and minor also?
If so, do you use if for all arpeggios also?

I find this somewhat comfortable, but when you play the first inversion of chords you have to go back to the fourth or do you?
I think I have more tension with the third than the fourth, I use the third in C#, D , Eb, E, Ab, A, Bb, B with no tension.

Juilliard sounds really cool ... but the truth has always seemed a little unfair to me. In order to be accepted into Juilliard, the student is already at a very advanced level. I learned 95% of what I know from other teachers BEFORE I landed at Juilliard. Lubka Koless, Kenneth Gilbert from the Quebec Conservatoire gave me my foundation. And an unknown angel, Joyce Rawlings imparted her love of music to me when I was a child. My websites are a homage to her and her loving techniques.

Juilliard's name allows that institution to ride on the coattails of other teachers and an enormous amount of training and talent on the part of students who apply at that admissions audition. It's nice to be able to list a Juilliard degree among one's credentials. But it's not fair to be able to garner all the credit. shocked

Back to those fingerings. I use the third for all left hand major ( octave span) chords. But for the minors I often use the fourth, if the 3rd note is a black one. The D, E and A ... which are the same confomation as C+ ... I use the 3.

For the first inversion, I do use the 4th ... both for octave chord and for the arpeggios.

I think you're on the right track when you evaluate the "tension" you feel and let that be your guide. Individual hand sizes, finger lengths and even extensions, vary so widely between each pianist that we have to realize that "one size doesn't fit all" and allow ourselves to choose options.

( For the record, I have a deformed "pinkie" in the right hand and cannot comfortably hit the major octave chord ... so I omit the lower of the octaves ( unless it's part of an inner "voice" ). I have done this for years. It is almost imperceptible even in a recording unless one is waiting for it.

Fluidity and feeling ... more important than any specified gymnastics laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

If you look at his RH octaves (starting at 11:37), he is holding his inner fingers aloft - not completely straight out, but not relaxed either. But enough, so they don't slap down on the keys every time he plays an octave.......

Ok, now I think we are probably using different words to describe the same thing. Anyway, I recommend what both these pianists do in their octave technique smile

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Not completely unrelated but I have English question.

Is finger position different from fingering?
Also when do you use singular vs plural (finger positions)?
When do you use fingering vs fingerings?
Thanks.

I think the term "fingering" always refers to *which* fingers are used in a certain passage (or chord). Here, 5421 and 5321 have been discussed as different LH fingeringS for the C chord.
"Finger position" seems more of a vague description-- curved vs. straight, relaxed vs. tense, maybe? If I asked my teacher about my "finger position" in a passage, he would probably ask for a bit of clarification, as it's not a term we have used. I guess it's included in "hand position."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission