2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 58 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 57 58
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Valencia
Richard I printed off Mendelssohn 19/4 to play for this challenge as well but haven't got to learning it yet. I suspect it will take me longer than a week!
I've got it to a stage where I can play each phrase from memory with just a reminder at the start of each day but couldn't string too many phrases together without following the score and accepting a few misplaced fingers.

If I were getting it ready to record - accurate phrases every time, no joining phrases until they were at tempo, no plays through until the final week, etc. - it might take me four to six weeks of practice plus a week or two as breaks in between.

In order to get each phrase correct in isolation and at a reasonable tempo, i.e. have the technical proficiency, but accept a few mechanical or concentration errors while reading the whole piece, I think a week's enough. More than a week and I'm no longer reading, which defeats the purpose of this challenge for me.

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have been falling behind my self imposed quota lately, but I finally had some time to do some recording. So - here are #13 & 14: The minuet was a tricky little thing, and, like most Baroque pieces, took more time than I expected!

So my list is now:
1. Kuhlau Burlesco
2. Crosby Dreamcatcher
3. Chopin Prelude 20
4. Gillock Winter Scene
5. Heller Etude in G Minor
6. Knecht Rupert op. 68 #14 (Schumann)
7. Sonata in G Theme and Variations Op 118 #! (Schumann)
8. Burgmüller - Angel's Voices opus 100 #21
9. J.S. Bach -Minuet in D Minor BWV 132
10. Rebikov - Rocking opus 31 #7
11. Nakada - A Winter Melody
12. Filtz - An Ancient Tale
13. Stölzel - Minuet in G minor
14. Khachataturian - Andantino

Won't it be fun to see these lists at year end??

A
A
You weren't kidding SwissMS about that Minuet being tricky. It sounded tricky. Lovely pieces smile

I've got Children at Play memorized the last 12 bars are fussy since both hands are close together. Minor hesitations still in the first 12 bars but hopefully those will go away with practice. It'll probably be another week before I get this up to semi-decent recording level.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I just got back from Rome, where I had the privilege to hear Martha Argerich play Shostakovich's piano & trumpet concerto 3hearts

Have to get back to my regular practice now and try to record Schumann's Der Dichter Spricht... which was somehow easier to learn than the easy pieces, but we'll see what happens when I hit the record button.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just listened to the pieces posted in the last week of so. I love hearing the diversity of pieces and I am impressed with everyone's efforts.

MoonSh1ne - nice job on the Chopin Prelude. This is such a dramatic piece.

Earlomar - The Lute Player was very gracefully played. It fit the Baroque feel well.

scorpio - Really, really nice playing on the Kirnberger. I liked your dynamics and steady rhythm.

Crocus - Paper Moon was great! Happy and jaunty!

Finch - The Satie had great dynamics. You definitely captured the feel of this piece.

Anita Potter - Very smooth, even playing on your study and the Allegro. Your hands looked relaxed.

zrtf90/Richard - I loved the Bach-Marcello Adagio! I had never heard this piece before, and now I am looking for the sheet music. Beautifully played!

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
After several weeks break, here are my next two pieces to bring me up to 13. The Scarlatti is a beautiful little aria, however I think I may have got the timing wrong on those quick notes at the beginning of each bar. I did not repeat the second half of the piece as was indicated in the score.

The next piece, a Beethoven bagatelle, was a lot of fun but so so challenging for only 55 seconds! I thought it would be a quicker study but it took me about three weeks just to get it to this stage. I will continue to practice this one as the tempo and expression still need work. I’m looking forward to trying more of Beethoven’s bagatelles!

1. Bach (Short) Prelude No. 2
2. Bach Musette in D
3. Prokofiev Op. 65 No. 1--Morning
4. Prokofiev Juvenilia Allegretto in A minor
5. Grieg Op. 12 No 3—Watchman’s Song
6. Schumann Op. 68 No 16--First Loss
7. Schumann Op. 6 No. 4 (Davidsbundlertanze)- Ungeduldig (Con impazienza)
8. Schumann Op. 6 No. 10 (Davidsbundlertanze)- BalladenmaBig sehr rasch
9. Liszt Resignazione
10. Prokofiev Op 65. No. 2-Promenade
11. Scriabin Op. 16 No. 4

12. Scarlatti Sonata K32

https://app.box.com/s/ykxsz8bi43dufgx6eycizzi37frlapee

13. Beethoven Bagatelle Op. 119 No 9.

https://app.box.com/s/r574qbtvtkzm271bcslkswdcettlc07m

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Valencia, the Scarlatti was really pretty, and the Beethoven Bagatelle was joyful and lively. Nice pieces!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
So here's my real 13th piece, Schumann's Der Dichter Spricht, op. 15 no. 13.

This was my third take and there's a missed chord at the end - the first two were very slow at almost 3 minutes - but I didn't want to spend more time recording this piece, and I think all in all I can consider it learned, even if I don't always get the voicing right.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ten:

1. Battle Hymn of the Republic
2. America the Beautiful
3. The Marine's Hymn
4. The Caisson Song
5. When Johnny Came Marching Home
6. Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!
7. Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet
8. Let the Rest of the World Go By
9. In My Merry Oldsmobile
10.Oh You Beautiful Doll

Wow, my gig went 1 1/4 hours today - I started a little early because it turned out their real piano was set up and I didn't have to haul my gear in, and by the time I was done the place was full. Good time.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice sensitive playing sinophilia! I liked you slow, steady pacing for this piece.

A
A
Love those two pieces Valencia. I grabbed some Scarlatti a few weeks ago but I'm determined to finish what's in my binder now before printing off anything else.

Sweet sounding Schumann piece sinophilia I hadn't heard that one before.

Still working on Children at Play. I memorized it (had to since too much is going on for looking at it) the other day and have been trying not to hit the wrong notes. I confuse myself sometimes or get ahead of myself. I just need to shut my brain up and let my fingers do their thang :p I can't quite play it at Allegro but pretty close at around 90 bpm where I'm most comfortable with it. I hope to have it recorded soon.

After this is Schumann's Melody. I got it all transcribed into that digital music program I have so I can slow it down and loop sections till I can play it properly. Finding LMMS has been a great tool in helping me with tempo instead of running off to YouTube when I need something.

Now if I could just get a real touch sensitive, hammer action piano I could do more with phrasing and feeling. Too many things keep coming up that need immediate attention. I don't want to get a cheap crappy one that I'm not going to be happy with in the long run but I've been sorely tempted. I must resist.

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
A
A
And by soon apparently meant this morning. And from the last post I said it was at 90 bpm but it's more like 100 bpm so not too far from allegro. Had a hesitation and some note flubs but I'm happy smile

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
M
M
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Well done, Diana. Did you watch the Cortot master class on this?

Isn't it funny that you played no 1 in the recital and I played no 15, and now you've learned my piece and I'm learning yours smile I've got the notes down, but it's not recording ready. I might hold it off for the May recital.

August Förster 190
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
1. Gliere: Le Soir, Op. 43/5
2. Peerson: The Fall of the Leafe
3. [u]Delius: Waltz for a Little Girl[/u]
4. Pergolesi: Sonata in E, Allegro
5. Dvorak: Silhouettes, Op. 8, Nos. 1 & 2 (ABF Recital #37)
6. [u]Liszt: No. 1 of Four Little Pieces, S. 192/1[/u]
7. [u]Liszt: No. 4 of Four Little Pieces, S. 192/4[/u]
8. Schumann: Des Abends, Op. 12/1 (Schumann Recital)
9. [u]Liszt: No. 3 of Four Little Pieces, S. 192/3[/u]
10. CPE Bach: Solfeggietto Wq. 117/2
11. Schumann: Frisch, Op. 6/15 (Schumann Recital)
12. Schumann: Wie Aus der Ferne, Op. 6/17 (Schumann Recital)
13. Schumann: Mit gutem Humor, Op. 6/16 (Schumann Recital)
14. [u]Bach-Marcello: Adagio, BWV 974[/u]
15. Mendelssohn: Song Without Words, Op. 19/4
16. Clementi: Lento e patetico, Sonata in F# Minor, Op. 25/5

17. Beethoven: Kurfursten Sonata in Bb, WoO.47/1, Allegro

This is such a fun piece to play. I did the first half a few weeks ago and the second half this week.

Thank you scorpio, mom3gram and SwissMS for your comments on the Bach-Marcello. I'm still reading this and hoping to do another recording later in the year. The second half has a more changeable left hand and slightly longer, more fastidious phrases but it's emotionally very rewarding to play, intellectually satisfying to get the whole piece right and technically doesn't seem too demanding.

Richard
Originally Posted by Anita Potter
And by soon apparently meant this morning. And from the last post I said it was at 90 bpm but it's more like 100 bpm so not too far from allegro. Had a hesitation and some note flubs but I'm happy smile

Oh, so bubbly. I love the "bounce" in this piece. It sounds like it's a lot of fun to play. Great job!

Last edited by Zerlina; 04/19/15 04:53 PM.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Originally Posted by sinophilia

This was my third take and there's a missed chord at the end - the first two were very slow at almost 3 minutes - but I didn't want to spend more time recording this piece, and I think all in all I can consider it learned, even if I don't always get the voicing right.

Beautiful job. 13 pieces! That's wonderful progress. You're well on your way to your forty.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Eleven:

11. Moonlight Bay

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
A
Originally Posted by Anita Potter

Now if I could just get a real touch sensitive, hammer action piano I could do more with phrasing and feeling. Too many things keep coming up that need immediate attention. I don't want to get a cheap crappy one that I'm not going to be happy with in the long run but I've been sorely tempted. I must resist.

you do need a keyboard upgrade, 88 keys, weighted, touch sensetive all that. Hang in there, save up and youll get one.

as it stands your playing is quite lovely to listen to on your current keyboard smile

RCM grade: Prepatory

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moonsh1ne

Well done, Diana. Did you watch the Cortot master class on this?

Yes I did, thanks to you! I've actually decided to learn all pieces in this work, eventually. A couple of years will be needed, I guess, but it's something to look forward to.

A
Anne H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Alright everyone, I need some help/advice. I've gotten stuck on parts of this challenge, but it's more being stuck in a bad work/life balance right now. I work at home, but I run my own business which involves client all over the world (for example, I am staying up all night tonight to have meetings with clients in India and Australia and the next day it will all be US meetings and I'll have to change my schedule yet again). I got a bunch of pieces done, told myself I was going to record them, and then stopped making progress on any of it. I have perfectionist tendencies but they sometimes prevent me from simply getting stuff done. I've played a little bit every day, but can't quite seem to fit in the sustained practice time between work stuff and trying to keep my house in some kind of clean/working order. I feel bad complaining - I work at home and I don't have kids, so I feel like this should be easy.

Any tips? When do you guys find dedicated time to practice? Are you recording all of your challenge pieces? I clearly need organizational help here. I want to use this week to make tons of progress and get things restarted, but I also want to do it in a thoughtful way that I can use as a routine going forward. I'd appreciate any advice that you have.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

Page 25 of 58 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 57 58

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission