2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
I am considering a purchase of this piano in the somewhat near future. What would seal the deal for me is being able to feed an audio source into the piano to play through its on-board speakers. This would allow you to play sampled piano packs from a PC through the DP speakers without needing any extra audio equipment. Is this possible? If so, does it sound as good as an external speaker system (or better) because the DP speakers have been tailored to reproduce piano sounds?

Also, is there an EQ built in? Or just the brightness/brilliance controls?

Last edited by JoeThePro; 01/16/15 12:29 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is a mini stereo AUX IN plug on the CLP-585. You could connect your PC to the CLP in order to render the sound of the PC thru the CLP-585 speakers.

There is also a MIDI-OUT and a USB to Host plugs which could be handy to send MIDI events to the PC.

With an older CLP (CLP-150), I use the MIDI output and the AUX input in order to use True Keys virtual pianos. With USB, I have ground loops and a nasty noise, then I prefer a MIDI output to a M-Audio MIDI-USB adaptor which seems isolated... (the MIDI input to the MIDI-USB is not isolated unless I plug the connector Half way... but you don't need the MIDI input of your DP when using virtual pianos).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
J
J
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
There is a mini stereo AUX IN plug on the CLP-585. You could connect your PC to the CLP in order to render the sound of the PC thru the CLP-585 speakers.

There is also a MIDI-OUT and a USB to Host plugs which could be handy to send MIDI events to the PC.

With an older CLP (CLP-150), I use the MIDI output and the AUX input in order to use True Keys virtual pianos. With USB, I have ground loops and a nasty noise, then I prefer a MIDI output to a M-Audio MIDI-USB adaptor which seems isolated... (the MIDI input to the MIDI-USB is not isolated unless I plug the connector Half way... but you don't need the MIDI input of your DP when using virtual pianos).

Great to hear. That pretty much sealed the deal for me, I think.
Is anyone willing to PM with the price you paid? I was told by a local dealer that they are going for over $5000 currently. Seems a bit steep.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 01/16/15 07:00 PM.
O
O
All,
I went today to buy either a Yamaha silent or a Clavinova 585. I play most of the time with headphones so was under the impression the 585 would answer all my needs considering its upgraded touch technologies.
However, comparing the 585 sound to a U1 with SH silent sound system (both with headphones) I found out the SH is simply far far better. The headphones sound in the clavinova, trying all types of piano (CFX, Bosendorfen, and others) was flat, and very disappointing.
Now, that for me is a real mystery. Both are digital outputs with probably very similar if not identical algorithms. Can anyone think of a reasonable explanation?
Thanks in advance...

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by OLuzz
All,
I went today to buy either a Yamaha silent or a Clavinova 585. I play most of the time with headphones so was under the impression the 585 would answer all my needs considering its upgraded touch technologies.
However, comparing the 585 sound to a U1 with SH silent sound system (both with headphones) I found out the SH is simply far far better. The headphones sound in the clavinova, trying all types of piano (CFX, Bosendorfen, and others) was flat, and very disappointing.
Now, that for me is a real mystery. Both are digital outputs with probably very similar if not identical algorithms. Can anyone think of a reasonable explanation?
Thanks in advance...

Factory reset, same sound settings on both? After that it's the DAC's, amps, etc.

P
P
Hi OLuzz,

If my memory serves me well, the SH pianos (at least some of them) feature true binaural recording of the piano sounds from the player's position, i.e. the sounds were recorded through the ears of a dummy head placed in front of the piano, so that listening to them through headphones provides an improved feeling of presence.

Perhaps that could explain the difference.
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
A
A
I had a similar experience this week comparing SH with even higher end digital pianos the N1 and Nu1.
This page:
http://www.musictrades.co.jp/englis...os-offer-new-stage-of-music-playing.html

talks about the fact that the recordings for SH come off a dummy head in such a way to optimize
the headphone sound. These samples seem to be rather recent (2013). The very high end N1 uses
the same sound system as the N3 which is from 2009. It seems clear that yamaha reserves its best
samples for the more expensive silent pianos -- neglecting even the top digital instruments. My guess is that the mid-range digitals will have samples which even weaker than the N1/Nu1.

More Geese than Swans now live, more Fools than Wise.
O
O
Thank you Paolo and Augustm,
Indeed the binaural recording must be it! The Clavinova doesn't seem to have it but the SH and TransAcoustic do. I didn't expect such a difference but it is VERY noticeable (with good headphones).
SpanishBuddha - I played for more than an hour with the settings of the Clavinova - reverb, different pianos, etc.. nothing helped. I tried the 575 also - same experience.
I wonder if they plan to include the binaural recording to the clavinova as well.

P
P
Hi OLuzz,

The problem with binaural recordings is that they usually sound good only through headphones.

Since digital pianos are expected to sound good through loudspeakers, that would create a need to have two sets of samples in the piano memory (one binaurally recorded, the other normally recorded) to cover both use cases.

And for reasons that everybody in this forum sometimes wonders about, piano makers seem very scared at the idea of adding precious memory to their models..

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
O
O
Grazie Paolo,
makes sense - the focus is different, the SH obviously can only be used for headphones, while the Clavi meant to mimic the sound of acoustic when played without headphones.

That brings me to the mysterious TransAcoustic - it's a beast I don't fully understand. Acoustic piano with digital played again 'thru the wood'. Now what's the point in that??? But that's for another thread...

A
A
The complexity of samples is clearly increasing with time. The SH seems to require 256MB, whereas the older
SG2 silent system which is still sold has 30MB.

http://www.pianosnebout.com/v3/presentation.php?id=27

So yamaha can now produce very small electronic boxes with very good samples. It is a shame that they are not more widely installed in the mid-range.

The SH was good enough that I first believed that
I had not switched from acoustic. I had to take the headphones of to check. No other headphone system that I have tried was convincing for even a few seconds.

Anyone who made a SH quality headphone sound with a high end mechanical action would have my money at once...

More Geese than Swans now live, more Fools than Wise.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Just to continue where the the original OP (i.e., "cub") left off I am going to be upgrading to the CLP-585 soon and will be trading in my CLP-480. Will also be starting a new thread with a review of the CLP-585 along with some recordings. This will allow others to hear the difference between the CFX & Bosendorfer presets.

L
L
I am thinking of getting a CLP-585. The music rest is different than the other models. Would anyone mind posting a picture of the CLP-585 with music on the music rest. In particular I am wanting to see how well the music rest works with a collection book of songs. Something more like Alfred's Adult Piano book series where there is maybe 100+ pages in the book. I really wish the CLP-585 had the same music rest as the other models. It would be an easier decision to make. But I cannot find a CLP-585 in a store.

Kawai CA97 - I love it!
C
cub Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Lance,

I have a 585 and absolutely love it.

I can confirm the music rest is solid and can easily take score of 200-300 pages without an issue. In fact, its long and very sturdy and you could put up multiple different volumes and score simultaneously. I've used it for the 280 page beethoven sonata band 1 volume as well as large compilation works while sharing with my 10 yr old son and multiple of his music scores.

One if the best things about the yamaha clps is the build quality (in my experience) and the music rest is no different. For example the hinges supporting the music rest are very sold, secure, and smooth in their operation. The wood piece is thick and stable so no wobbling. Its goes under the smooth close lid so you fold it up and away after use.

Make your decision based on sound and touch preferences - the music rest is definitely going to do the job!

Peter.

Last edited by cub; 10/03/15 12:24 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is a great thread! Two weeks ago I took delivery of a Clav 565GP and was stunned and speechless on its arrival, it is SO SOLID, much bigger then I was envisioning, and it looked like they were bringing in a grand. I am thrilled with this instrument, and it's very heartening to see the 585 reviewed on here, as well. Mine is actually the 535 in a grand case, but for me, it's absolutely perfect, I love the action and the sound is amazing. I'm a U1 owner, as well, and this still blows me away. I'm totally in love!

I don't want to hijack the tread, but here's my 565:

[Linked Image]

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats - it's certainly an impressive looking instrument!

Perhaps you may wish to change your username? wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Looks very nice in your room, and the 565 too! Interesting that you enjoy it as well or an much as your U1 which is a fine upright. Congrats.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission