2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
A customer just called me with a question, for which I didn't have an answer. So, I told her I'd ask here.

The piano is a Steinway XR grand, player unit removed but with 3 sets of double legs. It currently sits on wall to wall carpeting. She's having hardwood flooring installed, and isn't sure what to do underneath the piano. She wants to get an area rug to help cut down on loudness, but isn't sure of the size.

Should the area rug:

A: Be small enough to just fit under the soundboard area, using caster cups for the 6 casters?

B: Be small enough to just fit under the soundboard area, with the casters sitting directly on the hardwood flooring?

C: Be large enough so the legs will sit on top of the rug?

As I type this, I'm thinking probably answer "C" is the way to go, with the area rug large enough to also fit the bench. This would keep the bench from scratching the floor, and keep it the proper height for playing.

Should there also be caster cups if the legs are on the area rug? Currently, the piano does not have caster cups.

Or, are there any other options I'm not thinking about?

Last edited by Eric Gloo; 04/18/15 07:24 PM.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Even though it's a matter of taste, I think C is the best with bench on carpet along with caster cups.

I have used "C". The only problem is dragging the bench on the carpet when you pull it in to play. It can really mess up a nice oriental rug.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
+1, B is the practical way. If it is not sufficient then add more carpets to the room and consider the walls too.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I use D: Regulate and voice the piano properly, and play at the proper volume.

When the pianos were at home, there was a carpet under them, but the rear legs were off it. Now they are on a wood floor, and they still sound nice, when played properly.

Semipro Tech
I agree with D. The approach I took with the Chickering which is in a very hard space (ceramic tiles on the floors and cement walls). The Seiler however, has wood floors with oriental carpets and 18' ceilings. As usual, no one wants to spend the money to correctly voice the instrument for the space.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
Techs might consider softening the hammers before a full revoicing to see if this improves the situation for the customer.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Not looking to hijack this thread - but I have the same question with regard to an upright piano.

I'll be acquiring the piano after having bamboo flooring installed into my living room. What would you use (if anything) under the piano? I'm looking to both protect the new floor and to reduce the piano's harshness/loudness. (The room has no drapes on the windows or anything else to absorb the sound.)

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
You can't properly fix bad aoustics with voicing and regulation.

B
BDB Offline
B
Perhaps not, but you cannot get a piano to plays well and sound good without voicing and regulating, no matter how good the acoustics of the room are.

Semipro Tech
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes of course the piano has to be regulated. But it does not solve bad room acoustics. Both have to be regulated

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
A customer just called me with a question, for which I didn't have an answer. So, I told her I'd ask here.
=====SNIP====
Should the area rug:
=========SNIP=====

I researched this topic at some length when I set up my piano in my practice/teaching/recording studio.

Based on consultation with an acoustical engineer, a rug under the piano is... not a great idea. Period.

The reason is, at least according to what I was told, and pretty much confirmed by my own ears trying it out, unless inches thick, the rug will not absorb frequencies across the audio spectrum evenly. High frequencies WILL be attenuated a lot more than low frequencies - so the result will be a "duller" sound.

The better solution in my experience:

1) Some acoustical treatments in the room, maybe even a bass trap if the piano is going to be close to a wall, particularly towards a corner. I got mine from ATS Acoustics. How many panels and where to put them? It depends on how dry you want the acoustics. I seem to recall that 40% of hard surfaces covered gives you something close to completely "Dry". I went with 20%, and I can work comfortably in the space even with the occasional Wagnerian soprano.

2) Voicing on site.

If you're going to have a rug, put it NEAR the piano, not under it.

My 2 cents.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
To some extent, it depends on what else is going on in the room besides the hardwood floor (heavy curtains, wall hangings, area rugs elsewhere in the room, overstuffed furniture). Those things will affect how reverberant the room will be, or not.

I tell my customer to start by throwing down an old blanket under the soundboard area. It is a quick and dirty check as to whether or not the purchase of a throw rug will likely achieve some or all of the desired effect, before one goes to the trouble and expense of purchasing one. If it lends no meaningful improvement, simply remove it.

I would start with the rug, and then address voicing as further needed. Doing both will allow the voicing to be less invasive, and leave more of what you already like about the piano.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
C
C
Originally Posted by Seeker
Based on consultation with an acoustical engineer, a rug under the piano is... not a great idea. Period.

The reason is, at least according to what I was told, and pretty much confirmed by my own ears trying it out, unless inches thick, the rug will not absorb frequencies across the audio spectrum evenly. High frequencies WILL be attenuated a lot more than low frequencies - so the result will be a "duller" sound.

Well, there goes piece of advice #5.
http://www.pianobuyer.com/publication.html#97

What if the situation calls for absorbing the high frequencies, but leaving the lows? A carpet might be just the thing, no?

Chris Storch
Acoustician / Piano Technician
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Storch
====SNIP===
Well, there goes piece of advice #5.
http://www.pianobuyer.com/publication.html#97

What if the situation calls for absorbing the high frequencies, but leaving the lows? A carpet might be just the thing, no?

Chris - I wasn't taking a poke at your article, and I'm not taking a poke at you, just trying to be helpful. Reading your link, the rug under the piano thing might just work if you manage to get enough pad under it -- but 4 inches was the number the acoustics guy gave me to be able to absorb the full spectrum of the instrument in a relatively linear way. That would be a pretty thick pad.

Will not argue your point about if absorbing (just) the high frequencies but leaving the lows that a rug under the piano might be the thing. My own experience shows me there are better places, if somewhat more obtrusive visually, to do it than under the piano.

Me - I don't like the sound of a piano with a rug under it, so I wouldn't put one there.

And now, with respect to all, I am exiting this discussion thread.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission