Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (ando, accordeur, Anita Potter, Almaviva, AllanH, AndreaS85, 31 invisible), 1348 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2412594 - 04/21/15 07:31 PM Faulty key on new RD-800
Ocram Online   content

Last week I purchased a new RD-800.

It is a fantastic instrument and I have been spending every spare chance I can get familiarising myself with it. However I have come to discover that the g#2 key is faulty. Essentially it sounds much louder than adjacent notes and takes very little weight to trigger a fortissimo sound. Consequently it is very difficult to play with a consistent volume and tonal quality on that region of the keyboard.

I have ruled out that it may be a tonal characteristic of that particular note because it occurs with all patches and also affects the corresponding note when transposing up or down. For example, if I transpose an octave up, the offending note on that particular physical key which is now an octave higher exhibits this characteristic but not the note that is now down an octave which corresponds with the pitch of the original (un-transposed) note. I hope that makes sense...

I have attached a recording to illustrate the issue. I apologise for the noisy recording; my computer broke down and so I had to record it using the inbuilt microphone on my tablet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4datcaqeyfimo2/rd-800?dl=0

I've sent an email to Roland Australia regarding the issue and will report back when I get a response. Has anyone else had a similar issue with any of the keys on their RD-800?

Cheers

Ocram

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2412599 - 04/21/15 07:48 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
I have not had any issues like this. That's a real bummer because it's such a great board. I hope that Roland's customer service is able to get you sorted out ASAP.

#2412602 - 04/21/15 07:54 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Ocram Online   content

Me too! They do have a reputation for excellent customer care so I'm confident it will get resolved. There are also a couple of service agents in my area so hopefully I won't have to ship it to Sydney...

#2412606 - 04/21/15 08:01 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Ocram Online   content

Just got off the phone to Roland Australia - they're keen to help and are confident the local guy will sort it! Sweet!

#2412611 - 04/21/15 08:18 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
petes1 Online   content

Ditto -- I've had not a lick of such trouble with mine and do hope that you get this solved pronto! It is such a wonderful board, and I hate to see your enjoyment diminished by this.

#2412616 - 04/21/15 08:34 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Ocram Online   content

I'm a bit bummed because I was planning on gigging with it for the first time this weekend, but on the other hand it only seems appropriate to give my trusty old Kawai MP5 one last outing before I sell it...

Once this is all resolved I might have to pick your brains for any tips or tricks you might have on the RD. There's a lot of stuff to delve into there.

#2412620 - 04/21/15 08:53 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Possibly a dirty/faulty key switch? Frustrating, buy it can happen with any keyboard instrument. I'm sure you'll have the problem fixed in no time.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2412624 - 04/21/15 09:12 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Ocram Online   content

I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if I'd gone with the MP7, right? wink

Yeah, the service rep seemed confident it was a simple fix. I've had to deal with Roland in the past and they were great. No doubt it will get resolved quickly and easily, especially if I can do it locally...

#2412627 - 04/21/15 09:20 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By Ocram
I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if I'd gone with the MP7, right? wink

I'd say the chances of it happening would have been more or less the same. wink

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2412628 - 04/21/15 09:21 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
siros Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
I don't have this problem on mine.
Hope they can get it fixed for you soon.
It would be interesting to know how they resolve this too.

#2412653 - 04/21/15 10:40 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Ocram Online   content

Local tech has already been contacted by Roland. Dropping it in tomorrow. So far so good!

#2412669 - 04/21/15 11:43 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Just Alan Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Hi Ocram,

I like Kawai James' answer....for it most certainly can happen on any brand. I thought I had 2 faulty keys on my new MP7, but was asked to play it a lot and see if they settled down, which they did (phew!), however I saw a MP7 in Perth that had been bought just before I got mine, and it had some very clanky keys in the final high octave. I would have struggled to put up with that. All I can say is that Kawai Australia are very helpful. I've had keybed issues with previous Roland products, one of which required a total replacement of the keybed in the first month after purchase, and the other was out of warranty, but turned out to be a problem with the rubber sensor strip, and was fine once replaced. That problem was very similar to what you have described. All the best.
1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano

#2412712 - 04/22/15 04:18 AM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Gostan Offline

Hi Ocram,

I've got similar problem with C5 on my RD-800. It stands out from all other notes and when I play it is ringing like a bell. Besides this all keys from C5 have unusual resonance even with reverb off. Transpose does the same thing as in your case.

Very interested how they diagnose your problem, sample defect or different part of electronics.

#2412735 - 04/22/15 07:40 AM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
One thing to note,
You can actually adjust the level of individual notes on the RD-800. So you could turn that one note way down as a kludge until you have a chance to get it serviced. That *might* make it useable in the meantime.

#2412927 - 04/22/15 07:00 PM Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: fizikisto]
Ocram Online   content

Originally Posted By fizikisto
One thing to note,
You can actually adjust the level of individual notes on the RD-800. So you could turn that one note way down as a kludge until you have a chance to get it serviced. That *might* make it useable in the meantime.

Tried that - it kinda works in that the volume is lower but the tonal characteristic is still that of a fortissimo whack. I also meddled with the note's voicing - similar deal.

In any case, it is in for repair today. I'll report back.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for pulling a consistent tone in mono? My reality is that for nearly all my gigs I monitor in mono through a small (but very good) powered speaker, and like most digital pianos, the RD-800's tone suffers from the summing process. Has anyone tailored a piano patch that suits this scenario? I've messed with the "spectrum" effect with interesting results - it seems to bring more body out and alleviate some of the wooliness - but would be interested in learning of other users' approaches.

#2414372 - 24 minutes 31 seconds ago Re: Faulty key on new RD-800 [Re: Ocram]
Ocram Online   content

Update:

Got my RD back today. Apparently there was "debris" on the lower key contact which was causing the hair-trigger like response on the relevant key. The tech tried to explain it to me but I admit I couldn't quite understand what it all meant. He also ordered a new contact strip which he will install when it gets sent to him, because apparently the debris scratched the contact slightly - but I was assured it would play just fine in the meantime.

He also took a good look around the guts of the RD-800 and advises that he was very impressed with the build quality and components used in these keyboards - in his words "much better than many of Roland's recent offerings, which looked slick on the outside but were pretty cheap under the hood".

He said the chassis was very solid and the "plastic" top is not actually plastic but aluminium with a plastic-like coating. So there you have it...not plastic after all. I guess that plastic will start to rub off in due course...

He was also very excited about the keyboard action, best he's ever seen, apparently...(he also let slip that his "son" was in the market for one of these, so I suspect he spent a bit of time having a sneaky test-drive of the instrument).

I've been getting stuff fixed by this bloke for about 20 years, so I guess he's seen his fair share of keyboards.

All in all, very impressed with Roland's (and my local tech's) quick and professional response.

Edited by Ocram (22 minutes 47 seconds ago)

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rehanging hammers
by rysowers
04/26/15 11:03 PM
Yamaha CP4 Best Buy!!!
by tnsettlemo
04/26/15 09:43 PM
Grand Piano House name change
by newgeneration
04/26/15 08:59 PM
Exercises for syncopation
by DeadPoets
04/26/15 08:54 PM
Valentina Lisitsa--web site
by Bech
04/26/15 08:04 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,055 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,572 Topics
2,400,090 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission