Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (Azeyic, Avalancheseah, AllanH, 20 invisible), 1072 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2412637 - 04/21/15 09:55 PM New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Have just purchased a Clavinova CLP-585 today (with black satin finish) and it will be delivered this week on Thursday, April 23.

Will be giving a review here shortly and can also post a few recordings so that everyone can hear and compare the "CFX" concert grand to the "Bosendorfer" samples.

"Bosendorfer" extra keys question:

The only detail I see missing in the CLP-585 would be the addition of those nine extra bass keys (from A-flat to the lowest C) which would simulate the Imperial concert grand. I suppose this is not an important feature for Yamaha to have considered since it would obviously make the cabinet physically larger by incorporating those extra keys, although it would have been interesting to have had them added if only to make it a more "authentic" replication of the Bosendorfer. Any other thoughts on that detail?

Question:

I am not going to be missing those extra 9 notes on the CLP-585 since most folks are happy enough with an 88-note keyboard, so when would those additional keys be made use of, in actual performance?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2412646 - 04/21/15 10:09 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By pv88
I am not going to be missing those extra 9 notes on the CLP-585 since most folks are happy enough with an 88-note keyboard, so when would those additional keys be made use of, in actual performance?

Good question.
Here's an interesting extract from the Wikipedia page:

On the Imperial Grand, this characteristic tonal quality in part derives from the inclusion of 9 additional bass notes below bottom A. These extra 9 keys were originally added so that pianists could play Busoni's transcriptions of J.S. Bach's organ works, which required the 32' bass pipes (usually played on the pedal organ). As very little other music makes direct use of the extra strings, they usually contribute to the piano's sonic character not through being played directly but by resonating, when other strings in the piano are struck, contributing additional body to the tone. Moreover, the bass notes of the Bösendorfer, including the extra bass keys, are very powerful, adding volume in demanding literature.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2412656 - 04/21/15 10:55 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Do have to wonder why Yamaha didn't consider including those 9 extra keys on the new CLP-585?

Would have been a very innovative feature, no doubt.
(And, a "first" -- for a digital piano.)

#2412658 - 04/21/15 11:00 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline

Probably because "very little other music makes direct use of the extra strings".

However, it might be interesting to check whether those additional strings do produce any sound by the CLP's resonance simulation when the Bosendorfer sound is selected.

Cheers,
James
x

#2412659 - 04/21/15 11:00 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
MRC Online   content

Loc: Germany
Look at this thread.

#2412664 - 04/21/15 11:33 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
Ocram Offline

I remember my first piano teacher having a grand piano with extra keys at the bottom end. There was even a little hinged flap to conceal them. Pretty sure it was a Yamaha, but it was 35 years ago...

#2412693 - 04/22/15 02:22 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Kawai James]
MRC Online   content

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By Kawai James
However, it might be interesting to check whether those additional strings do produce any sound by the CLP's resonance simulation when the Bosendorfer sound is selected.

My money is on no, but I could be wrong.

You can certainly play those extra notes on the CLP, since you can transpose down as much as an octave. But are there really separate samples for the 9 lowest notes, or is the lowest sample simply stretched down? Knowing how all the DP manufacturers do their best to save on space for samples, I think it's probable that they haven't included the separate samples for those notes.

If you have 500 € to spare and you want to hear samples of the whole Imperial range, complete with sympathetic resonance, you could buy the VSL Vienna Imperial sample library.

#2412697 - 04/22/15 02:50 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: MRC]
Kawai James Offline

Originally Posted By MRC
If you have 500 € to spare and you want to hear samples of the whole Imperial range, complete with sympathetic resonance, you could buy the VSL Vienna Imperial sample library.

Albeit stretched, according to dewster.

That being said, I don't believe this DPBSD test is checking beyond keys 1-88.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2412706 - 04/22/15 03:24 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
WaterDweller Offline

I would love to hear a sample of the upright piano preset, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother. smile Unfortunately, our small town music store only has the CLP-575 on display, which lacks that voice, and I'm really curious about how 'uprighty' it sounds. smile

#2413308 - 04/23/15 11:28 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Here are three (3) new recordings at the CLP-585:

1) Yamaha "CFX" & ...

2) "Bosendorfer" examples with default settings:

https://app.box.com/s/85w0sme9pddio6r2l4d5op9gdkzzd7xv

Have played Chopin's Prelude in C-minor, Op. 28, No. 20, back to back twice, first using the Yamaha CFX preset and then followed by the Bosendorfer preset.

3) Yamaha "Upright" example with default settings:

https://app.box.com/s/1zbb6d9n5ka9rqjnh8jr5dyemalkgjri

A few bars from the closing theme titled "Remembering You" from "All in the Family."

@WaterDweller,

As for the "Upright" preset it is not a sound I am particularly fond of in the CLP-585 although the tune I play above fits into the upright piano category.

Extra note:

Wanted to add that my previous CLP-480 also had excellent tone in the primary "Grand Piano" preset (perhaps it is to be preferred over the CLP-585) and there is no additional tonal power / volume to be gained in the new CLP-585 as the specs have 180 watts for the CLP-585 and the CLP-480 has 200 watts. The advantage in both tone and power has to go to the CLP-480. Why doesn't the new model get the upgraded specs?

Also, the escapement simulation is hardly noticeable (almost non-existent unless you look for it) which I suppose is a good thing if you are already familiar with all of the older Clavinova's that never had the escapement simulation anyway, except for:

Clavinova CLP-990M -- (which I also own)

It appears odd to me that the older CLP-990M not only has escapement simulation but one can actually produce a soft "pp" sound right from the escapement point (or, "off of the jack" in an acoustic) whereas the CLP-585 cannot do this.

It might be a minor detail for most folks but it is obviously something that Yamaha either overlooked or did not add to the new model so upgrading does not always carry over previous features from older models.

Any thoughts on the omission?

#2413729 - Yesterday at 04:09 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"The tune I play fits into the upright piano category"

Are you serious? The mind boggles. . . long live snobbery! Sorry man, but its a bit early in the morning to take this. . . .:)

""

#2413954 - Yesterday at 04:32 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Does anyone else wish to review the recordings?

Compare the "CFX" to the "Bosendorfer" Imperial:

https://app.box.com/s/85w0sme9pddio6r2l4d5op9gdkzzd7xv

Here is the "Upright" for WaterDweller:

https://app.box.com/s/1zbb6d9n5ka9rqjnh8jr5dyemalkgjri

#2413985 - Yesterday at 06:53 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: peterws]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
PV88 The tune I play fits into the upright piano category

Peterws Are you serious? The mind boggles. . . long live snobbery! Sorry man, but its a bit early in the morning to take this. . . .:

PV88 Does anyone else wish to review the recordings?

lotflmfao!! Brilliant. You're working up quite a double act there.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2414025 - Yesterday at 10:35 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
AllanH Online   content

Loc: Central Coast, California, USA
pv88,
thank you for the recordings. Your playing and choice of music really shows off the depth of the instrument(s). I'm down to focusing on a Kawai CA97 and a Clavinova 585 for our new DP. I have the Garritan CFX, but the 585 is definitely different.

Where I live neither is available, so it at least a few hours drive away. This confirmed that the 585 is a contender.

Thanks for the time & effort!

Allan

Edited by AllanH (Yesterday at 10:39 PM)

#2414044 - Today at 12:22 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: AllanH]
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

@AllanH,

Glad to know that you like what you hear in the CLP-585 and you will want to buy what you think is best in the sounds and action when comparing the CLP-585 to the Kawai CA97. I have already previously traded in a Kawai CA95 that ultimately had piano sounds that were far too "metallic" and harsh to my ears and the Clavinova CLP-480 I had selected as the trade in was far better in this regard.

The CLP-585 would be a very good choice and it is going to be the best digital for the money without having to spend considerably more on one of the AvantGrand(s) or the V-Piano / V-Piano Grand. You will not be able to find better sounds and action at this price point.

#2414073 - 4 minutes 24 seconds ago Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Here is a recording with the Bosendorfer preset (in the default settings) and I am quite impressed with the full bodied resonance and dynamic range that is available to the player in the Elegie, Op. 3, No. 1, of Rachmaninoff:

https://app.box.com/s/vwmwyfgdf17ap4aeih9fi289hv5hgxod

These are definitely the best soundings samples I have heard on any digital I have owned so far and the decay and pedal resonance is simply outstanding. Only the V-Piano has longer decay and sustain to offer in its settings.

The Bosendorfer preset is just about perfect for pieces requiring drawn out and nuanced melodic lines.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mental practicing
by piano_friend
04/26/15 02:33 AM
Malcolm Love
by lavadisco
04/26/15 12:05 AM
"Y'outta Praise him" by Robert Glasper
by Music Me
04/25/15 08:49 PM
Re-gluing Ivory Key Top
by akin
04/25/15 05:48 PM
A question about scales
by pianoaspirant
04/25/15 04:14 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,042 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,543 Topics
2,399,794 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission