Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (Al LaPorte, 36251, Adrien, Alan F, 255, aesop, 28 invisible), 1264 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2412637 - 04/21/15 09:55 PM New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Have just purchased a Clavinova CLP-585 today (with black satin finish) and it will be delivered this week on Thursday, April 23.

Will be giving a review here shortly and can also post a few recordings so that everyone can hear and compare the "CFX" concert grand to the "Bosendorfer" samples.

"Bosendorfer" extra keys question:

The only detail I see missing in the CLP-585 would be the addition of those nine extra bass keys (from A-flat to the lowest C) which would simulate the Imperial concert grand. I suppose this is not an important feature for Yamaha to have considered since it would obviously make the cabinet physically larger by incorporating those extra keys, although it would have been interesting to have had them added if only to make it a more "authentic" replication of the Bosendorfer. Any other thoughts on that detail?

Question:

I am not going to be missing those extra 9 notes on the CLP-585 since most folks are happy enough with an 88-note keyboard, so when would those additional keys be made use of, in actual performance?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2412646 - 04/21/15 10:09 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By pv88
I am not going to be missing those extra 9 notes on the CLP-585 since most folks are happy enough with an 88-note keyboard, so when would those additional keys be made use of, in actual performance?

Good question.
Here's an interesting extract from the Wikipedia page:

On the Imperial Grand, this characteristic tonal quality in part derives from the inclusion of 9 additional bass notes below bottom A. These extra 9 keys were originally added so that pianists could play Busoni's transcriptions of J.S. Bach's organ works, which required the 32' bass pipes (usually played on the pedal organ). As very little other music makes direct use of the extra strings, they usually contribute to the piano's sonic character not through being played directly but by resonating, when other strings in the piano are struck, contributing additional body to the tone. Moreover, the bass notes of the Bösendorfer, including the extra bass keys, are very powerful, adding volume in demanding literature.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2412656 - 04/21/15 10:55 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Do have to wonder why Yamaha didn't consider including those 9 extra keys on the new CLP-585?

Would have been a very innovative feature, no doubt.
(And, a "first" -- for a digital piano.)

#2412658 - 04/21/15 11:00 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Kawai James]

Probably because "very little other music makes direct use of the extra strings".

However, it might be interesting to check whether those additional strings do produce any sound by the CLP's resonance simulation when the Bosendorfer sound is selected.

Cheers,
James
x

#2412659 - 04/21/15 11:00 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
MRC Online   content

Loc: Germany
Look at this thread.

#2412664 - 04/21/15 11:33 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
Ocram Offline

I remember my first piano teacher having a grand piano with extra keys at the bottom end. There was even a little hinged flap to conceal them. Pretty sure it was a Yamaha, but it was 35 years ago...

#2412693 - 04/22/15 02:22 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Kawai James]
MRC Online   content

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By Kawai James
However, it might be interesting to check whether those additional strings do produce any sound by the CLP's resonance simulation when the Bosendorfer sound is selected.

My money is on no, but I could be wrong.

You can certainly play those extra notes on the CLP, since you can transpose down as much as an octave. But are there really separate samples for the 9 lowest notes, or is the lowest sample simply stretched down? Knowing how all the DP manufacturers do their best to save on space for samples, I think it's probable that they haven't included the separate samples for those notes.

If you have 500 € to spare and you want to hear samples of the whole Imperial range, complete with sympathetic resonance, you could buy the VSL Vienna Imperial sample library.

#2412697 - 04/22/15 02:50 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: MRC]

Originally Posted By MRC
If you have 500 € to spare and you want to hear samples of the whole Imperial range, complete with sympathetic resonance, you could buy the VSL Vienna Imperial sample library.

Albeit stretched, according to dewster.

That being said, I don't believe this DPBSD test is checking beyond keys 1-88.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2412706 - 04/22/15 03:24 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
WaterDweller Offline

I would love to hear a sample of the upright piano preset, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother. smile Unfortunately, our small town music store only has the CLP-575 on display, which lacks that voice, and I'm really curious about how 'uprighty' it sounds. smile

#2413308 - 04/23/15 11:28 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here are three (3) new recordings at the CLP-585:

1) Yamaha "CFX" & ...

2) "Bosendorfer" examples with default settings:

https://app.box.com/s/85w0sme9pddio6r2l4d5op9gdkzzd7xv

Have played Chopin's Prelude in C-minor, Op. 28, No. 20, back to back twice, first using the Yamaha CFX preset and then followed by the Bosendorfer preset.

3) Yamaha "Upright" example with default settings:

https://app.box.com/s/1zbb6d9n5ka9rqjnh8jr5dyemalkgjri

A few bars from the closing theme titled "Remembering You" from "All in the Family."

@WaterDweller,

As for the "Upright" preset it is not a sound I am particularly fond of in the CLP-585 although the tune I play above fits into the upright piano category.

Extra note:

Wanted to add that my previous CLP-480 also had excellent tone in the primary "Grand Piano" preset (perhaps it is to be preferred over the CLP-585) and there is no additional tonal power / volume to be gained in the new CLP-585 as the specs have 180 watts for the CLP-585 and the CLP-480 has 200 watts. The advantage in both tone and power has to go to the CLP-480. Why doesn't the new model get the upgraded specs?

Also, the escapement simulation is hardly noticeable (almost non-existent unless you look for it) which I suppose is a good thing if you are already familiar with all of the older Clavinova's that never had the escapement simulation anyway, except for:

Clavinova CLP-990M -- (which I also own)

It appears odd to me that the older CLP-990M not only has escapement simulation but one can actually produce a soft "pp" sound right from the escapement point (or, "off of the jack" in an acoustic) whereas the CLP-585 cannot do this.

It might be a minor detail for most folks but it is obviously something that Yamaha either overlooked or did not add to the new model so upgrading does not always carry over previous features from older models.

Any thoughts on the omission?

#2413729 - 04/25/15 04:09 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"The tune I play fits into the upright piano category"

Are you serious? The mind boggles. . . long live snobbery! Sorry man, but its a bit early in the morning to take this. . . .:)

""

#2413954 - 04/25/15 04:32 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Does anyone else wish to review the recordings?

Compare the "CFX" to the "Bosendorfer" Imperial:

https://app.box.com/s/85w0sme9pddio6r2l4d5op9gdkzzd7xv

Here is the "Upright" for WaterDweller:

https://app.box.com/s/1zbb6d9n5ka9rqjnh8jr5dyemalkgjri

#2413985 - 04/25/15 06:53 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: peterws]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
PV88 The tune I play fits into the upright piano category

Peterws Are you serious? The mind boggles. . . long live snobbery! Sorry man, but its a bit early in the morning to take this. . . .:

PV88 Does anyone else wish to review the recordings?

lotflmfao!! Brilliant. You're working up quite a double act there.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2414025 - 04/25/15 10:35 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
AllanH Offline

Loc: Central Coast, California, USA
pv88,
thank you for the recordings. Your playing and choice of music really shows off the depth of the instrument(s). I'm down to focusing on a Kawai CA97 and a Clavinova 585 for our new DP. I have the Garritan CFX, but the 585 is definitely different.

Where I live neither is available, so it at least a few hours drive away. This confirmed that the 585 is a contender.

Thanks for the time & effort!

Allan

Edited by AllanH (04/25/15 10:39 PM)

#2414044 - 04/26/15 12:22 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: AllanH]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@AllanH,

Glad to know that you like what you hear in the CLP-585 and you will want to buy what you think is best in the sounds and action when comparing the CLP-585 to the Kawai CA97. I have already previously traded in a Kawai CA95 that ultimately had piano sounds that were far too "metallic" and harsh to my ears and the Clavinova CLP-480 I had selected as the trade in was far better in this regard.

The CLP-585 would be a very good choice and it is going to be the best digital for the money without having to spend considerably more on one of the AvantGrand(s) or the V-Piano / V-Piano Grand. You will not be able to find better sounds and action at this price point.

#2414073 - 04/26/15 03:10 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is a recording with the Bosendorfer preset (in the default settings) and I am quite impressed with the full bodied resonance and dynamic range that is available to the player in the Elegie, Op. 3, No. 1, of Rachmaninoff:

https://app.box.com/s/vwmwyfgdf17ap4aeih9fi289hv5hgxod

These are definitely the best sounding samples I have heard in any digital I have owned so far and the decay and pedal resonance is simply outstanding. Only the V-Piano has better decay and resonance to offer in its settings.

The Bosendorfer preset is just about perfect for pieces requiring well drawn out and nuanced melodic lines.

#2414156 - 04/26/15 11:21 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
terminaldegree Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By pv88

Also, the escapement simulation is hardly noticeable (almost non-existent unless you look for it) which I suppose is a good thing if you are already familiar with all of the older Clavinova's that never had the escapement simulation anyway...

I played the 575 at NAMM (it uses the same action and keys), and thought the very subtle-feeling escapement of the NWX action was pretty nice. Some previous iterations of this feature from other brands feel far too pronounced under my fingers, as the feeling of escapement is something piano technicians often work to minimize when servicing acoustic pianos.

Jim Aikin's review in the current Piano Buyer doesn't mention anything either way with regard to the escapement, when he discusses the action.
NY Steinway A, B @ work
Schimmel 130T, on loan

#2414262 - 04/26/15 05:22 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sure would like to have a little more feedback on the quality of the recorded examples above (i.e., CFX & Bosendorfer presets) as I already have conceded that the current escapement simulation in the CLP-585 is very subtle just as it should be.

When performing the excerpt from the "Elegie" above I realized that the quality of the samples are very high in both the CFX & Bosendorfer presets and I now happen to favor the rich and resonant Bosendorfer sound in many pieces.

A good pair of headphones (as I have the Sennheiser HD-518's) really brings out the nuances in the dynamics of the samples and it all sounds very convincing and realistic.

Other reviews and comments are appreciated.

#2414271 - 04/26/15 05:34 PM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

It seems the Bosendorfer has a powerful sinuous sound - really well brought out in the Rachmaninov piece you play so movingly. I don't know if it's so different from other sample sets, but the Steinway would be sweeter, perfectly rounded off. The Yamaha perhaps with stronger, brighter presence. Whatever the truth (it's subjective anyway) this is a very interesting sample of the Yamaha Bosendorfer.

#2414419 - Yesterday at 05:41 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
Hookxs Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
Thanks for the recordings, I must admit like the sound way more than the price tag. Are there any other Yamaha DPs that have the Bosendorfer sample besides the CLP-585?

#2414469 - Yesterday at 08:34 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
tabber Online   content

Loc: London, UK
Yeah, its in the 575 and 545 at the least, as I recently looked at them. It really is a lovely sample.

#2414478 - Yesterday at 09:02 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

It seems the Bosendorfer Imperial and the Yamaha CFX are on the whole Clavinova CLP range except the CLP-525.

Both sample sets are on the €1666 CLP-535, which is interesting.
http://www.thomann.de/pt/yamaha_clp_535_b.htm

#2414496 - Yesterday at 09:40 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
TonyB Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Twin Cities
pv88 -

All of these recordings are quite good. One thing running through my mind as I listen to these (other than that you really CAN play, making your comments about DPs much more believable than somebody with a lot of words and no music to back it up) is that a decent DP, despite the shortcomings about looping and such that are often discussed here, when actually PLAYED, does impart "music". I think that, when separating the music from the DP (making it a purely intellectual and wordy discussion) or using notes played specifically to point out flaws, these DPs actually are fully capable of making music worth listening to. The missing element always in these discussions are is the MUSIC.

When Larry Dunn (of Earth, Wind, and Fire) demonstrated some of the Casio Privia series console pianos last fall, those instruments sounded very, very good. I would bet that if the "test" for flaws were applied, they would fare no better than any of the other DPs using looped samples. The difference is musician vs engineer. These were built for musicians. Larry Dunn is a musician, and obviously, so are you.

Your recordings raise the bar, showing how important it might be to show how these products perform when used as intended. I suspect that few of us (I know it is true for me at this point) are even capable of playing as you have in your recordings. We instead substitute a lot of words for actual music, endlessly arguing in posts about what this technical vs that technical thing is - instead of PLAYING).

Thanks for taking the time to both develop the skill to actually USE the product as intended and for showing us how these products really can be made to perform. Maybe now some of the focus can come back to what these products were made for - to PLAY!

Tony

#2414507 - Yesterday at 10:22 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: TonyB]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By TonyB

a decent DP, despite the shortcomings about looping and such that are often discussed here, when actually PLAYED, does impart "music".

Yes, exactly. This message should be written on a plaque and screwed up on the wall. By the front door.

Originally Posted By TonyB
When Larry Dunn (of Earth, Wind, and Fire) demonstrated some of the Casio Privia series console pianos last fall, those instruments sounded very, very good.

Yes, professional musicians are far less preoccupied with the minutiae. They are concerned about whether the instrument is up to the job of letting you express yourself easily and consistently.

#2414513 - Yesterday at 10:39 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: Hookxs]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Hookxs
Thanks for the recordings, I must admit like the sound way more than the price tag. Are there any other Yamaha DPs that have the Bosendorfer sample besides the CLP-585?

You may wish to check out this video.

When I was in the market 11 months ago I had a look at these but they were out of my price range, even back then, yamaha were significantly more expensive for what they offered in terms of overall bang for back in the CLP range versus the Casio I now own I felt. Since they have come down in price quite a bit and are priced a bit more competitively to fall in line with the Kawai and Casio ranges for the lower models. Even so, in the UK at least the 525 is still more than the Casio I own today, and it is very basic in terms of features, not even a line out.

From the CLP 535 and up you get both samples, but it is made clear that in terms of other features like string resonance and how it is implemented you get more advanced versions of that as you go up the series, that may or may not matter to you. Note when the 575 is played in particular how some of the resonances and some of the overtones come out quite strongly in that model all of a sudden. Of course the speaker system will get better too as you go up so if using it that way instead of headphones, that should improve the sound as well.

Always liked the Bosendorfer sample in that piano range of what I heard of it, to a lesser degree the CFX, but still, in that regard the Casio I find okay but personally prefer the yamaha sound in these, but only slightly and that is easily solved with software anyway. Synthogy Bosendorfer software piano sounds very nice to my ears too IMHO. If I wanted one, that is where I would go.

I wouldn't buy any of these based on the sound samples as a major consideration alone when software is such an easy and cost effective option nowadays, as long as you have a computer and whatever else you need to make it work.

Nothing against them btw, just that Yamies with the consoles are harder on the wallet, the Arius series didn't really win me over either in terms of overall value for money at the time against the Casio for me personally, but they have different samples and no bosendorfer.

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 10:46 AM)
Software: Ivory American D, Pianoteq, The Giant, Cubase 7 elements.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2414522 - Yesterday at 11:11 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: toddy]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
Yes that would be nice, if everyone would be so brilliant, so he could bring the magic of music out of a poor (or cheaply produced) instrument. Remember Mr. Zawinul performing a magic spontaneous improvisation on a detuned upright at the back of the stage during a break of one of the Viennese concerts? (sorry, cant find the Youtube link righ now)

On the other side by putting your message on a plague by the front door, you are to outlaw technical discussions, which are based on facts after all, try that in the piano tuners forum. And you are discouraging the participation of the lesser gifted and beginners. A sub-forum for professionals getting magic out of bad instruments would be a way forward, (think Harnoncourt, SCNR wink ).

Quote:
Yes, professional musicians are far less preoccupied with the minutiae. ...

From my experience growing up with professionals in classical, contemporary and experimental music and their concert practice, I cannot relate to that. Especially those professionals are very picky and caring about every detail of sound, Jeff Healy's FOH sound system comes to my mind, or Glenn Gould's piano and his chair, or try to give a concert pianist a poorly regulated concert grand, and take responsibility for it. Good Luck. These professional musicians normally do not care about sampled digital pianos, because they actually have their Boesendorfer or Steinway grand at home.
David Rosenthal explains Billy Joels touring rig in a five part series by keyboardmag series on youtube. That means, one professional keyboardist is looking full time after various electronics and carefully selected sample suites, so that the right sounds for Mr. Joel are there, the way he wants them. ...

asoasf

#2414525 - Yesterday at 11:20 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: pv88]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

OK - I did not mean to suggest that professional musicians do not care about their instruments a great deal and in great detail. What I intended to mean was that most musicians aren't hung up about the little details, really - especially if an instrument is of sufficient quality to let them get on with playing without trouble. Of course that includes a properly regulated grand piano, which is no small thing.

Then there are musicians who DO get hung up on the minutiae - Glen Gould would be one, and there are quite a few others. But I imagine most working musicians have neither the time nor the temperament to get too carried away with such things.

#2414845 - Today at 05:23 AM Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: toddy]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I liked those recordings, PVA88. But I thought it was Chopin and I`d heard it before in a popular setting from Amy Winehouse. So, forgive me for hacking it about a tad . . .I`m tryin` to get a bluesy thing going here . .I`d had a few last night when I listened . .(The next song, not from me I add, is worth a listen.)

https://soundcloud.com/peterws7/another-classical-gas

Edited by peterws (Today at 05:24 AM)

""

#2414880 - 3 minutes 15 seconds ago Re: New Clavinova CLP-585 & recordings [Re: peterws]

Originally Posted By peterws
I liked those recordings, PVA88. But I thought it was Chopin and I`d heard it before in a popular setting from Amy Winehouse. So, forgive me for hacking it about a tad . . .I`m tryin` to get a bluesy thing going here . .I`d had a few last night when I listened . .(The next song, not from me I add, is worth a listen.)

https://soundcloud.com/peterws7/another-classical-gas

Excellent performance Pete!
Your piano sounds great, and I enjoyed your natural playing style...good job!

James
x

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz and Latin transcriptions
by Adrien
04/28/15 07:53 AM
My CA97 has arrived - issue?
by tabber
04/28/15 07:48 AM
Pearl River upright
by PhilipInChina
04/28/15 06:38 AM
Eisteddfod in 4 days... I think I have RSI
by AtomicBond
04/28/15 06:09 AM
Who is your client?
by Nikolas
04/28/15 06:00 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,073 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,610 Topics
2,400,591 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission