2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2412333 04/21/15 03:25 AM
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
We have loads of so called portable pianos. But if you have to transport these regularly, for live playing . . . the reality kicks in, Now, no one wants a hernia or two, but I suspect that many of these instruments would be likely to cause just that, and other problems on account of their weight alone. now, I had to do this lately with my DGX. It helped enormously that one o` the guys at this function was a man-mountain. But no way was I going to pull that about myself. It was seriously heavy.

So, the best gigging piano is . . . .you are allowed to compromise on sound!

Last edited by peterws; 04/21/15 03:27 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Knowing the type of music IMO would help make the decision as to best.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The CASIO PX-5s is only 10.88Kg http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX5S

It has a wealth of sounds that can be downloaded from the casio forum dedicated to it. A lot of people really like this board, it has a very active and helpful community of users on the forum. I have tried it and I think its an awesome board for the price $999 USD and its extremely light. It can also run on batteries.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 04/21/15 09:45 AM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
M
M
Originally Posted by 36251
Knowing the type of music IMO would help make the decision as to best.

I agree. And everyone will be able to handle different weights, too. Another thing to consider is what kind of case you get. Something on wheels for anything 88-key is what I need. Then I only have to lift the thing in and out of the car and the case - for which I have a few tricks to make it work with minimal strain.

Personally, I'm fine with using my FP-7 for something because it's heavy but not unbearable. The MP11 I don't want to take not just because of the weight, but I don't want it to get banged up smile.

But I do schlep my MOX to church every week for rehearsal and again for Sundays. That doesn't need wheels and I can carry by hand or on my back with the case I have. That's only 15 lbs. and the action is synth, so I'd hate to play any kind of piano on it. Great for strings etc.

If you're doing piano, perhaps Nord would be the best option - although a spendy one.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
G
I have been doing a lot of research on the topic of a lighter weight, weighted 88-key pianos. There is the Numa Compact at 17 lbs, that sells at Kraft Music, but have been unable to try it and it appears to be semi-weighted. At 24 lbs. there is the Casio Privia PX5-S, which I am really beginning to like after playing, as well as the PX-350 and PX-150/160. Played it again at Guitar Center and it really has amazing sounds and feel. If you want to go to 27, the Yamaha P series are contenders. I have a P-95, but the P-115 sounds much better. And, of course, the case. Really, that's about it. I just cannot justify the price of a Nord, but that's me. I would rather get a less expensive stage piano and add a snyth, like the Yamaha MX61 which has better key action than many.

There is also the new Alesis Code Pro 88 at 27, but absolutely nothing to be found with any good audio videos since it became available for sale this month.

Sweetwater.com is a great site to browse pianos and synths because they list the weights.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
If money's no object, I'd look seriously at the Nord Stage 2 EX HP76 (weighted action - 27 lb) or the Stage 2 EX Compact (Semi-weighted action, 21 lbs. If you can afford one of those, you'll be hard pressed to find a board as versatile and light weight. Great Organs, Lots of synth sound and sampled sound options, and of course among the best piano sounds available on any board.

If price is an object, I agree with the suggestion of the PX-5S. In terms of value per dollar, it's hard to beat.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Wouldn't you think the MP series, and some of the heavier Roland and Yamaha boards would come fitted with carry handles. . . .I screwed a couple on the top inside and undernearh section of my Clav and they helped enormously. . .

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Originally Posted by peterws
Wouldn't you think the MP series, and some of the heavier Roland and Yamaha boards would come fitted with carry handles. . . .I screwed a couple on the top inside and undernearh section of my Clav and they helped enormously. . .

This is a great idea! Even though you still need a good carrying case for transport and protection, getting to and from the stand is often a challenge.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Well there's lightweight streetwise gigging, and I agree with the NUMA Compact. Then there's band, and/or event gigging where a car and helper may be available, but still I agree with the OP that a DGX is out. For that anything from PX5S, RD800, CP4, Nord, MPx, etc, and so on.

G
G
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Well there's lightweight streetwise gigging, and I agree with the NUMA Compact. Then there's band, and/or event gigging where a car and helper may be available, but still I agree with the OP that a DGX is out. For that anything from PX5S, RD800, CP4, Nord, MPx, etc, and so on.

Have you or anyone else here played the Numa Compact? I was wondering what the action is like. Heck, for $399 and a return policy, I may just order this or a package from Kraft Music. Sound like a good thing for rehearsals, at least. If I am not happy with this, I can just return it for a Casio PX5S. For jazz background music gigs, the Numa should be fine.

Now, another surprise for me, at my last foray to Guitar Center, was attempting to pick up some of those speakers. Surprisingly, very heavy. I do have an Acoustic Image amp which is lightweight and adequate, but getting back into playing piano, its obvious the trend is speakers or a small PA system.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I have played a NUMA Compact. The action is not hammer and not synth-like but somewhere in between, and much better than on a NP11/31 which I was comparing with at the time. It's OK for a travel practice or street gig instrument, actually quite playable. I don't own one, and its appearance overall and build quality seemed a bit 'plasticky', but for the price ...

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline

Thing is, if it wasn't for the weight, I wouldn't be asking the question. In fact, handles may well be the answer. . . . its just so awkward without. . . the thing sounds excellent through an external stereo amp even without line outs.

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
I went from 88 to 76 keys many years ago and virtually never miss those few extra keys at each end, 76 notes is much more manageable size and weight. I used a Nord stage76 for many years but now I use a Studiologic vmk76 note which is just slightly heavier but I much prefer the action. For sounds I'm using a Receptor (vst sound module) but hope to change soon to a laptop or preferably a tablet running vsts, (if you only want to run a standalone piano vst you might already have a suitable laptop so no big outlay). with this setup to my mind there is no compromise on sound or quality keyboard action. I'm finding carrying this keyboard around not a problem, on my own several times a week.

G
G
I have played a NUMA Compact. The action is not hammer and not synth-like but somewhere in between, and much better than on a NP11/31 which I was comparing with at the time. It's OK for a travel practice or street gig instrument, actually quite playable. I don't own one, and its appearance overall and build quality seemed a bit 'plasticky', but for the price ...

Thanks for the info on the Numa. And, yes, I would do fine with a 76-key piano. I looked at the Kurzweil SP4-7, 24 pounds, and it really looks like it is solidly made, but I am not getting that it has the best piano sounds, and is essentially the same as when it was introduced in 2010. Well, maybe somebody can prove me wrong, I have not tried it, just read reviews and watched videos.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gracegren
I would do fine with a 76-key piano. I looked at the Kurzweil SP4-7, 24 pounds, and it really looks like it is solidly made, but I am not getting that it has the best piano sounds, and is essentially the same as when it was introduced in 2010. Well, maybe somebody can prove me wrong, I have not tried it, just read reviews and watched videos.

Although it's not as straight-forward a process as it could be, the SP4-7 allows you to load any sound from the Kurzweil PC3 series, which is cool. That also means it can load the occasional new sound, like these pianos that just came out (which I have not heard):
http://www.weisersound.com/#!kurzweil-sound-sets/c7v6
...though you do not get all the real-time control and tweakability of these sounds that you get on the board's bigger brothers.

Still, if you want a 24 pound piano, I'd be inclined to take the PX5S over the SP4-7. I would say the SP4 advantages are more in non-piano sounds, as well as small size and simpler operation. You could also go up from the SP4 to the new Artis 7 which has a better piano sound and other advantages like more real time control, more sounds, better display, but it's also a little heavier. Either way, the Casio still has the advantage of the weighted (piano-like) action.

Last edited by anotherscott; 04/22/15 11:53 PM.
G
G
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by gracegren
I would do fine with a 76-key piano. I looked at the Kurzweil SP4-7, 24 pounds, and it really looks like it is solidly made, but I am not getting that it has the best piano sounds, and is essentially the same as when it was introduced in 2010. Well, maybe somebody can prove me wrong, I have not tried it, just read reviews and watched videos.

Although it's not as straight-forward a process as it could be, the SP4-7 allows you to load any sound from the Kurzweil PC3 series, which is cool. That also means it can load the occasional new sound, like these pianos that just came out (which I have not heard):
http://www.weisersound.com/#!kurzweil-sound-sets/c7v6
...though you do not get all the real-time control and tweakability of these sounds that you get on the board's bigger brothers.

Still, if you want a 24 pound piano, I'd be inclined to take the PX5S over the SP4-7. I would say the SP4 advantages are more in non-piano sounds, as well as small size and simpler operation. You could also go up from the SP4 to the new Artis 7 which has a better piano sound and other advantages like more real time control, more sounds, better display, but it's also a little heavier. Either way, the Casio still has the advantage of the weighted (piano-like) action.

It just seems that the PX5S is the best choice, and I really like the action of this board as well, as well as the choices in sounds. The Artis 7 is 28 pounds, but looks great as well.

W
W
Anyone have thoughts on living with the Roland RD-64? I looked into it, and most comments are two years old.

G
G
I recently did some research on the RD-64 and it is on my list for a new stage piano. I really like the SuperNatural piano sounds, and this appears to be a solid type of stage piano with the basic sounds one would need on a gig. What is impressive is that there is a transpose button, so if you are wanting to play some higher or lower notes beyond 64, it will extend the range of the keyboard. A little heavier than 24, 27 I think, but it is shorter and probably narrower than other choices, i.e. easier to handle, less bulky than the Yamaha P's and Privias. I play mainly jazz, and 64 would work for me, and the note layout is the same as the old Wurlys. Used to play them back in the day. Besides considering weight, I think it is important to consider length, width, and case/cover weight.

So my potential low weight list is: 1) Roland RD-64; 2) Numa Compact; 3) Privia PX-5S, (4) and also taking a look at that new Privia PX-160 in the color Champagne. Nice! Also in black. I like that they are adding the electric piano sounds from the PX-5S to this new board. I already have a Yamaha P-95, but is not at all portable to me.

W
W
I learned in a classroom full of beige Wurlitzer 206s back in the 70's, so 64 keys is not foreign to me. I don't like the module on the left. I think that Roland should have made it narrower, or given it a few more keys. Most reviewers have said the same thing. Since it has been out for two years, maybe they are planning an update. Here is to hope.

M
M
I recently got the Numa Compact and I like it a lot so far.

Even though it's hard to find published details, I think the acoustic piano sounds are the same as those on the Numa Piano. If they're not, they're pretty close, and IMO the main piano sound is excellent. There's plenty of sustain and a nice resonant character. Tonally it's pretty bright, but with a fullness to the bottom end. It doesn't have a lot of fullness in the midrange, but it works for me. The first Numa Compact demo on the Studiologic webpage is a good representation of how it sounds.

I think I read somewhere that the main piano patch of the Numa Piano (which to me sounds identical) is a Steinway D, but the brightness makes me think of a Yamaha C7 instead. The Hammond Suzuki SK series has a Yamaha C7 that sounds similar in character, but it's not nearly as good.

In my opinion, where many digital pianos fail is in the lifelessness of their sound when played solo. However, the Numa Compact sounds quite good, and authentic, for solo piano.

The keyboard action is not a real weighted action. It's closer to a synth-weighted, but is less springy, so it works decently well for piano playing, especially in a band. Moderate tempo solo jazz is doable on this action, some ballads maybe, classical forgetaboutit..

As with anything Fatar/Studiologic puts out, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. But so far this instrument has exceeded my expectations and i'm very happy with it.

EDIT: there's one negative so far: the Hall Reverb adds a LOT of hiss to the sound. Turning it off, lowering it substantially, or using the Room Reverb gets rid of the hiss.

Last edited by Michael H; 04/28/15 01:30 PM.

Solo Piano CD of original pieces, entitled 'Journeys'. You can listen to samples on Spotify and YouTube.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission