Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#241337 - 11/15/08 12:07 PM Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
jeem612 Offline

Ok. After countelss hours of research I am almost ready to buy a piano but I have not made up my mind of which to choose so I will let you decide. A 1988 Yamaha G3 6'0" in supposed great condition (it is out of my area and have not had it inspected yet, but for now I am going to assume the dealer is being up front with me). The dealer wants $9,900 for it. Next are Yamaha GB1 4'11 and the Boston GP156 5'1". Both are brand new and are going to run about $10,000 to $12,000 My budget is no higher than $12,000 So now the question is to go new and have a smaller piano of larger and have an older piano. This is my family's first piano and is going to be played by my kids. Will one unit sound better? Your imput would greatly be appreciated! Belive it or not I am loosing sleep over my decision so I am leaving it in your hands. Thanks!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#241338 - 11/15/08 12:23 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Malaysia
Sound wise, I believe the G3 will sound the best, due to its size. I dislike pianos that are too small (about 5').

If you really love a Japanese product, you may want to look at some Kawai. GE and GM which I think are in your budget. Also, take a look at Yamaha GC1. You can even consider a new Chinese pianos in which you can get a great piano at that budget!

Keep looking, don't be hasty on making decision!

Good luck and all the best!

#241339 - 11/15/08 02:04 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
jeem612 Offline

By the way I found out the G3 is a gray market. Should that concern me????

#241340 - 11/15/08 03:21 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I wouldn't like to comment on gray market products....not my field of expertise...
BUT I can say that the Boston range do respond well to good technician, and the hammers are designed to be voiced to a mellow range without the effort required in other makes.
The shorter length is a handicap compared with the longer instruments but for some folks it is worth a small sacrifice for an instrument that will fit the space.

#241341 - 11/16/08 04:05 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
TheCaz Offline

Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Hi Jeem,

I have a number of comments. First, I can really relate to the countless hours of research without being able to make a decision, which can sort of drive you crazy. Unfortunately, that's not grounds for abdicating and letting us make the decision. Heck, if you really did that, we'd have you in an Estonia 168 faster than $%^&# goes through a goose, and we'd finance it at 11.99% through Allegro.

So you're gonna have to hang in there long enough to make a choice. Now for your choices. There is mixed sentiment on the board about 20 year old gray market pianos, especially since you can easily get a 5'10" Hailun 178 for the $10K range, which is very well regarded.

In fact, there are a number of pianos that are 5'4" or larger that are available for $12K, so if I were making your decision, I'd say that you needed some patience to make a more thorough search. If not having a piano is pressuring you to make a quick choice, then rent one for a month or two.

Furthermore, since you say it's your first piano, are you sure that you need to spend $12K on a grand in the first place? You may be able to spend $4-6K for an upright that will be fine for your kids to learn on, and save yourself a bunch of money.

Happy hunting. I hope this helps, even though it's not quite what you were looking for ...

#241342 - 11/16/08 08:16 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
jeem612 Offline

I appreciate your replys. We have an upright now that is shot. Also we have a great room in our house where a grand will work well for our kids to grow up using as well as a nice piece of deor. I am leaning toward the 6'0" used "gray market" Yamaha right now. Would I be naive in saying since I'm not a "musician" so how bad could this used piano be?

#241343 - 11/16/08 11:50 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
Pianomadam Offline

Loc: Southern United States
Put a poll out there and ask how many people have been able to buy a new Boston for $12,000 or less and you will find that there are very few. Here in the Northeast we sold a couple of them (older serial number stock) for $15,990 only once in the past year!

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer

#241344 - 11/16/08 11:58 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
stanw909 Offline

Loc: SoCal
Is the dealer offering a warranty on the G3?People should include the area they live in so local forum members can give them more precise info on pricing and shops in their area.

#241345 - 11/17/08 07:50 AM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
piano612 Offline

Loc: pa
I would be getting a 5 year parts and labor warranty from a dealer in Ohio.

#241346 - 11/26/08 11:19 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
flyboy01 Offline

Loc: Great River, New York
Why not go for a NEW 6 foot Hailun. See the below website.

http://www.pianocenter.com/about.html

Yamaha CLP330

Alfred's Adult All-in-one Level 1

#241347 - 11/28/08 03:24 AM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
GregoryP Offline

Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
I can only comment on the GB1, I bought one here recently. Yes it is short, but it still has a very nice tone. For us it was the only thing that would really work in the space available. Not too mention that there was not much choice. the G3 would probably be the best choice, and it sounds like you will also get a warranty... but will you have to travel to get warranty work done... might not be worth it. Good luck on your purchase.

#241348 - 12/02/08 03:34 AM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
Hale KAWAI Offline

Loc: miami
Definately check out the GE series, we make them on the same line as the Boston.

#241349 - 12/02/08 02:05 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
Pianomadam Offline

Loc: Southern United States
"Definately check out the GE series, we make them on the same line as the Boston"

---that's interesting. I've heard from your own reps (i.e. Brian Chung, Bob? Dove) that it is made on the same line as the RX-series model.

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer

#241350 - 12/02/08 02:54 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
 Quote:
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
"Definately check out the GE series, we make them on the same line as the Boston"

---that's interesting. I've heard from your own reps (i.e. Brian Chung, Bob? Dove) that it is based on the RX-series model. [/b]
Haven't you told us all in the past that Boston was an exclusive Steinway design that just happens to be built by Kawai?

#241351 - 12/03/08 02:37 AM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
Hale KAWAI Offline

Loc: miami
RX, GE, and Boston are all made on the same line. I mentioned the GE because jeem612 mentioned a Boston GP 156, the same length as the GE 20, also due to the price point that was indicated.

#241352 - 12/03/08 08:42 PM Re: Yamaha G3 vs Yamaha GB1 vs Boston GP156
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
I've been looking and playing pianos for a student recently and played the Yamaha GB1 and for my money the sound on the Yamaha C1 or C2 if Yamaha is what you are leaning towards, will give you a much more satisfying musical sound. Yes, the pianos are bigger but with that extra length your children will be able to grow and mature for a much longer time in their musical studies without feeling theneed to upgrade so soon.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, Alkanaut, A Guy, 48 invisible), 1713 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153523 Topics
2249786 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
52 minutes 25 seconds ago
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
52 minutes 36 seconds ago
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:10 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission