2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kylex Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I found a private seller selling a used Baldwin Hamilton studio and need your help!

The piano was a replacement from a reputable dealer here of a previous Hamilton that was defective. According to her, it was brandnew when they received as replacement. She didn't remember the exact year (between 4-7yrs), but gave me the serial number 474852. She did say it's honey oak color, is "limited Edition" Baldwin Hamilton studio.

She rated the external condition of the piano of an 8, between a showroom model of 10 and a beatup thing of 0. She said there is no problem with the piano she's aware of. The piano does have scratches/dents and was used by 3 kids, but hasn't been played for over a year. It was last tuned over a year ago. She's asking for $2500/best offer.

What do you think of this? I try to look up the age and it might be 1999. Can anybody confirm? What do you think of this for a 6-yr-old to get started on lessons?

Thanks a lot! -- Kyle

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Kyle, if she can be believed, it sounds like a good deal to me. Baldwin Hamiltons are nice pianos. The price sounds good.
But, paying a technician to check it out is always ALWAYS a good idea.

Good luck,

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
serial # indicates 1999.

It's a good deal, especially since it's an OBO. Not much would be wrong with something like this: you can always ask why she is selling it.

Have a tech look at it, but you should probably put some $$ on it first so you don't miss the opportunity.

It will be fine for your youngster

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
K
kylex Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well she said she's selling because all 3 kids lost interest in playing.

If it's only 4 year old, would it still have some warranty on it? Or once it's changed hands, the warranty does not apply any more?

Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gibson is not honoring warranties on pianos built prior to their purchase of Baldwin and subsidiaries.

So warranty = gonner. Point of negotiation? Probably. laugh

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
J
J
It is highly questionable, at best, whether Baldwin will be honoring warranties from its pre-bankruptcy days.

That being said, $2500 for an almost-new, solid, studio upright is a very good deal. Just make sure that you have the tech check it out.

Jim

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the warranty on Baldwins is only to the original owner of the piano. If this is still the case, it would take the warranty issue out of the equation. Also, to echo what the others have said, make sure that you have a technician inspect the piano. If it is in good shape, you may have found a good sturdy piano for a reasonable price. You just don't want any surprises later on.

John Ruggero
Ruggero Piano
Raleigh, NC
A technician based, distributer of fine pianos including Boesendorfer,Fazioli, Mason and Hamlin, Schimmel, Charles R. Walter, Estonia, and Falcone
www.ruggeropiano.com
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
You should buy this piano. If made in 1999 and looking as you describe, it can't be a bad deal. Grab it.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

J
J
To John Ruggero:

Maybe we should rename this thread "50 Ways to Lose Your Warranty."

Jim

K
K
I would definitely go for the piano. It is an excellent price for a Baldwin Hamilton.

Originally posted by kylex:
I found a private seller selling a used Baldwin Hamilton studio and need your help!

The piano was a replacement from a reputable dealer here of a previous Hamilton that was defective. According to her, it was brandnew when they received as replacement. She didn't remember the exact year (between 4-7yrs), but gave me the serial number 474852. She did say it's honey oak color, is "limited Edition" Baldwin Hamilton studio.

She rated the external condition of the piano of an 8, between a showroom model of 10 and a beatup thing of 0. She said there is no problem with the piano she's aware of. The piano does have scratches/dents and was used by 3 kids, but hasn't been played for over a year. It was last tuned over a year ago. She's asking for $2500/best offer.

What do you think of this? I try to look up the age and it might be 1999. Can anybody confirm? What do you think of this for a 6-yr-old to get started on lessons?

Thanks a lot! -- Kyle
thumb

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission