Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#241363 - 08/15/03 12:51 PM Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
kylex Offline

Loc: Colorado
I found a private seller selling a used Baldwin Hamilton studio and need your help!

The piano was a replacement from a reputable dealer here of a previous Hamilton that was defective. According to her, it was brandnew when they received as replacement. She didn't remember the exact year (between 4-7yrs), but gave me the serial number 474852. She did say it's honey oak color, is "limited Edition" Baldwin Hamilton studio.

She rated the external condition of the piano of an 8, between a showroom model of 10 and a beatup thing of 0. She said there is no problem with the piano she's aware of. The piano does have scratches/dents and was used by 3 kids, but hasn't been played for over a year. It was last tuned over a year ago. She's asking for $2500/best offer.

What do you think of this? I try to look up the age and it might be 1999. Can anybody confirm? What do you think of this for a 6-yr-old to get started on lessons?

Thanks a lot! -- Kyle

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#241364 - 08/15/03 01:03 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
Kyle, if she can be believed, it sounds like a good deal to me. Baldwin Hamiltons are nice pianos. The price sounds good.
But, paying a technician to check it out is always ALWAYS a good idea.

Good luck,

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#241365 - 08/15/03 01:05 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
serial # indicates 1999.

It's a good deal, especially since it's an OBO. Not much would be wrong with something like this: you can always ask why she is selling it.

Have a tech look at it, but you should probably put some $$ on it first so you don't miss the opportunity.

It will be fine for your youngster

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#241366 - 08/15/03 01:29 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
kylex Offline

Loc: Colorado
Well she said she's selling because all 3 kids lost interest in playing.

If it's only 4 year old, would it still have some warranty on it? Or once it's changed hands, the warranty does not apply any more?

Thanks!

#241367 - 08/15/03 01:49 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Gibson is not honoring warranties on pianos built prior to their purchase of Baldwin and subsidiaries.

So warranty = gonner. Point of negotiation? Probably. \:D

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#241368 - 08/15/03 01:49 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Jim Lobs Offline

Loc: MD
It is highly questionable, at best, whether Baldwin will be honoring warranties from its pre-bankruptcy days.

That being said, $2500 for an almost-new, solid, studio upright is a very good deal. Just make sure that you have the tech check it out.

Jim

#241369 - 08/15/03 04:16 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
John Ruggero Offline

Loc: Raleigh
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the warranty on Baldwins is only to the original owner of the piano. If this is still the case, it would take the warranty issue out of the equation. Also, to echo what the others have said, make sure that you have a technician inspect the piano. If it is in good shape, you may have found a good sturdy piano for a reasonable price. You just don't want any surprises later on.
A technician based, distributer of fine pianos including Boesendorfer,Fazioli, Mason and Hamlin, Schimmel, Charles R. Walter, Estonia, and Falcone
www.ruggeropiano.com

#241370 - 08/15/03 05:12 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
You should buy this piano. If made in 1999 and looking as you describe, it can't be a bad deal. Grab it.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#241371 - 08/15/03 09:40 PM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Jim Lob Offline

Loc: Maryland
To John Ruggero:

Maybe we should rename this thread "50 Ways to Lose Your Warranty."

Jim

#241372 - 08/23/03 12:49 AM Re: Urgent help need -- used Baldwin Hamilton Studio
kwgardner Offline

Loc: Miami, Oklahoma
I would definitely go for the piano. It is an excellent price for a Baldwin Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally posted by kylex:
I found a private seller selling a used Baldwin Hamilton studio and need your help!

The piano was a replacement from a reputable dealer here of a previous Hamilton that was defective. According to her, it was brandnew when they received as replacement. She didn't remember the exact year (between 4-7yrs), but gave me the serial number 474852. She did say it's honey oak color, is "limited Edition" Baldwin Hamilton studio.

She rated the external condition of the piano of an 8, between a showroom model of 10 and a beatup thing of 0. She said there is no problem with the piano she's aware of. The piano does have scratches/dents and was used by 3 kids, but hasn't been played for over a year. It was last tuned over a year ago. She's asking for $2500/best offer.

What do you think of this? I try to look up the age and it might be 1999. Can anybody confirm? What do you think of this for a 6-yr-old to get started on lessons?

Thanks a lot! -- Kyle [/b]

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, ando, 39 invisible), 1448 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission