2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
I'm ready to bang my head against the wall. So far I love the PX-350 until I tried to follow the manual to load songs from the CD on my beginner piano course and play them on the PX-350 for playing along.

I've made sure the files were 44.1/16 WAV format. I formatted the USB device. I have tried putting the files into the PLAY folder and the AUDIO folder. The piano will not recognize the files. (Reads 'no file' on the display)

Any help from someone who has this figured out would be appreciated.

Rick

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
According to page 48 of the manual, files have to be in the format TAKEXX.WAV for you to be able to play them on the PX-350. XX stands for 01-99 (and every number in between.) So be sure your filenames are following these rules. TAKE01.WAV, TAKE56.WAV, and TAKE89.WAV, would all be legal filenames, while TAKE123.WAV, and TAKEB5.WAV would not be legal.

I have not felt a need for using filenames with XX higher than 99, I usually just record a few songs on my PX-5S, which has similar filename rules, may play them once or twice on the piano, then copy them to my computer and delete the originals from the USB drive.

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/28/15 07:06 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why does this seem so complicated? The machine should take anything thrown at it. I dunno if mine will; never tried that . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
OP Offline
E
TheodorN, perhaps I have not made myself clear. I am not trying to record my playing a piece on the piano. I am loading songs from a CD onto the thumb drive. I've been following the instructions on page E-52 "Playing Back A Song On A USB Flash Drive". Thank you for your effort though. I suppose I could try to go in the drive and rename a song or two and see if the piano recognizes it, but that would seem crazy to have to do that. The manual states that any commercially available song data may be loaded on to the Digital Piano using a computer or USB Flash Drive.

I suppose my next step is to attempt to connect the DP directly to the computer and see what happens. I've tried going through the "User Song" instructions on page E-25. It reads "No Data". It is all just too difficult for what should be a simple operation.

peterws, if you can figure it out... please, let me in on the secret.

E
OP Offline
E
OK, just named three song files TAKE01.WAV, TAKE02.WAV, and TAKE03.WAV. Placed in the AUDIO folder.

User Songs operation: No Data
Function/Audio Record operation: No File

Place those three TAKE files and seven more non-altered file name WAV files into MUSICLIB.

User Songs operation: No Data
Function/Audio Record operation: No File

I'm going back to reading the manual again with a magnifying glass and a few cups of coffee. This shouldn't be that difficult. I guess I ought to try a new USB flash drive as well, though my computer reads it easily enough.

Jeez!

Elvistown, you may also wish to try formatting your USB stick on the Casio itself, then copying the audio files to it on your computer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Elvistown,
This might a be a place for some more infos
http://www.casiomusicforums.com/

HTH

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Elvistown, what I said (and the manual) applies exactly to songs from an external source, but at the same time for files recorded to the USB drive, same rules apply to both. However, now that you've renamed the files exactly as prescribed in the manual, and the problem is still there, I don't know what can be wrong.

One thing you can do, maybe far fetched, is to check the file information of a played song or part of song, you've recorded on the USB drive, by playing your PX-350, that is to say, a file that you CAN play back on the piano.

In VLC media player, there is an option called Codec information or something like that, which you can use to view this information. If you have a PC (with Windows) you can right click the files and then click the tab Details, to view detailed file information about a WAV file - or any file for that matter.

Then check the file information of a song from our CD, that you CAN'T play on your piano, and see how these two songs (playable and not playable) compare.

This discussion has made me curious to check if I can play a WAV file on my PX-5S, not recorded by the piano itself. There may be some subtle differences between files from external sources, and audio files recorded on the PX-5S (or PX-350) themselves.

Lastly, I second lophiomys' suggestion to ask on the Casio forums, they are very helpful there, and some members from PianoWorld can also be found there.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
E
OP Offline
E
Yes, I am on the Casio forums. I have formatted the USB on the DP. Confirmed it is FAT32 and after formatting the USB does display the correct folders according to the manual.

One thing that concerns me is that when I insert the USB drive there is no "Media Mounting" or "****" message on the display. The manual clearly states there should be.

I guess I'll try a different USB or connect directly to the computer. It shouldn't be this hard.

I really do appreciate all of your efforts in attempting to help me. I know that you don't have to and that you are going out of your way to be helpful. Many thanks.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
It has been a while since I transferred anything or played around with the USB thumb stick on My Casio, while it is a AP-450 I expect they are probably the same across the board, but for me it worked no problem but the instructions in the manual were a bit ambiguous in places, and I hasten to add incorrect with some of the button presses in the recording section too, but it may be correct in the latest version of the manuals.

First of all, I would do what James says and format the thumb drive on the Casio to ensure you get the right filesystem so the Casio can read it, IIRC when you do the format on the Casio it will create those folders for you.

The other way around, if you format a USB thumb stick in windows it is likely that by default it will format to the latest NTFS file system type, and it may be the case that the Casio will not be able to read it at all. It may well be the case that the piano requires the older FAT32 filesystem type or an older version of NTFS ( which windows can format to, but you must tell it to ). Formatting on the Casio just avoids that complication.

When you have done the format on the Casio have a look in windows and see if those folders are there, if not the problem may be the thumb drive itself being incompatible or something like that, for whatever reason.

If the thumb drive has an older filesytem on the thumb drive perhaps it is possible the Casio has an issue initiating creating a filesystem on there when you try to format and fails. You could wipe the whole thing in windows first and delete any partitions on there, so effectively the thumb stick is like as if it came out of the shop starting anew, it should work then almost certainly ... I would think.

edit: sorry I didn't spot you last post for some reason you already go it to FAT32, I need to waky waky up smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 04/28/15 10:06 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I have a PX-350, and I'll work on this problem this morning (Pacific Daylight Time).

One thing I remember:

. . . A "User Song" is a strange beast.

I have played-back .WAV files successfully. As I remember, the instructions in the manual, _when I followed them exactly_, worked.

It's pointless to say "You shouldn't have to name them TAKEnn.WAV" -- that's "arguing the toss". It would be nice if the PX-350 had a full-scale file-system browser for the USB thumb drive, using its tiny two-line display --

. . . but it doesn't.

More later . . .

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
OP Offline
E
OK, that would be great. One question. When I renamed the files, I capitalized the extension on some, but it was a hassle and so I left the .wav extension in lower case in some of them. So... to recap:

I have cleaned and formatted the 4gb USB Flash Drive according to instructions in the manual. A check on the info indicates the USB is formatted to FAT32 and includes all the folders that the manual says should be there.

I have placed both TAKEXX.WAV and TAKEXX.wav files in the PLAY A folder. I also have some files in the AUDIO folder.

I have attempted to play the files using both the User Songs operation and the Function/Audio Recorder operation described in the manual. So far, no luck.

That is where I stand right now. No clue how to go forward with the USB. I suppose my next tack will be to connect the computer to the DP, but I am seriously tired of this right now. I need a break. I am NOT HAPPY with CASIO at this moment.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
To me, it sounds like it's possible that you only copy and pasted the cd file from your cd and did not actually download the wav from the cd to your computer.

E
OP Offline
E
Well, emenelton, when I checked the file (Get Info), it shows an actual wav file. So, yeah, I thought of that. But I THINK I'm doing that correctly.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
When you said you renamed them including the extension it raised a red flag.
Get info means you're on a mac correct.
When you put a cd into a mac it asks you if you want to download or import the tracks on the cd and you respond yes. It puts them into your ITunes folder under imported. Your 'get info' should also list the size as ~56mb or whatever, not ~12kb -

If the above coincides with your experience then you should see if you can record to the USB drive and/or (both) try another USB Stick.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
What I did:

1. Format a thumb drive in the PX-350 (I did that long ago) -- that puts an "AUDIO" directory (and several others) on the drive.

2. Move the thumb drive to my PC.

3. Use Audacity to put a WAV file named "TRACK14.WAV" into the "AUDIO" directory on the thumb drive. 44.1 kHz / 16 bits WAV recording (de-compressed from an MP3 file).

Now, follow the instructions in the PX-350 manual, page E-27 ("Playing Back Audio Data stored on a USB Flash Drive"). Note -- this "audio file" is _not_ a "User Song" !!!

1a. Put the thumb drive into the PX-350.

1b. Press "Audio Recorder", and wait a few seconds.

2. Hold "Function" button,
. . press "Audio Recorder" button,
. . . then release "Function" button.

. . . a "Play Setting" ( = File Selection) screen appears on the PX-350;

3. Use the up-arrow / down-arrow keys on the PX-350 to scroll through the list, till I get to "14"

4. Press the "EXIT" button (it's in the "Registration" group on the PX-350 panel)

5. Use the "Play / Stop" button ( = "Start/Stop" button) to start / stop playback of TAKE14.WAV . The "Volume" knob controls playback volume.

I could play the PX-350 keyboard along with the WAV file.

So, for me, there's no problem. But the instructions on E-27 aren't "intuitive", by any stretch of the imagination.

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 04/28/15 12:57 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just chiming in to confirm I had no problem playing *.wav files on my PX-5S, one I recorded myself, one of the Yamaha Clavinova Bösendorfer samples, pv88 posted recently, and lastly a performance from Dave Horne (also a member on PW.)

All files turned out to have the same codec, PCM S16 LE (s16l) - including this info because there are different audio codecs around, even when the file ending is the same. Not likely that this is the issue here, though you never can know.

Me on YouTube

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Just a thought, maybe one of you guys with a PX-whatever can send the OP a wav file that you know works? or provide a link for him to download it? It might help him diagnose whether the problem is with the file or with the thumb drive/formatting.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
These are two of the files I played, first the one from Dave Horne, then the Yamaha Clavinova performance. Just be careful, the CLP-585 recording is very loud, turn the volume down first (if the file plays.)

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3/CheekToCheek.wav

https://app.box.com/s/85w0sme9pddio6r2l4d5op9gdkzzd7xv

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/28/15 02:25 PM.

Me on YouTube

J
J
I am having similar issues on the PX350, however, I finally got the file to play after naming it properly, but it ONLY plays back one second or the first beat of it then stops. Anyone else know why?

Last edited by jaketanner; 04/28/15 03:03 PM.

Regards,

Jake R Tanner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission