Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (beeboss, armani, aesop, Bachus, 15 invisible), 1135 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2415940 - 05/01/15 01:58 AM Roland V-Piano vs. everything else
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

After having recently acquired the CLP-585 (as noted in my other thread) I went back to playing the V-Piano for the first time in quite a while and found that the new CLP-585 and all the other digital(s) I have owned and played so far just aren't matching up to the V-Piano.

The decay and resonance isn't long enough in the CLP-585 and even though I have never completely agreed with the quality of the modeled sounds in the V-Piano it easily "wins" by a long shot over the others when having sufficient decay and resonance is the primary factor.

Also, there is no "looping" to be heard in the V-Piano whatsoever (due to the modeling) whereas it sticks out like a sore thumb in all other sampled pianos. Also, my previous CLP-480 appears to have had clearer and longer sustaining samples with less looping than the newer CLP-585.

Glad I didn't throw in the towel with the V-Piano...

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2415962 - 05/01/15 03:48 AM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: pv88]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By pv88
After having recently acquired the CLP-585 (as noted in my other thread) I went back to playing the V-Piano for the first time in quite a while and found that the new CLP-585 and all the other digital(s) I have owned and played so far just aren't matching up to the V-Piano.

The decay and resonance isn't long enough in the CLP-585 and even though I have never completely agreed with the quality of the modeled sounds in the V-Piano it easily "wins" by a long shot over the others when having sufficient decay and resonance is the primary factor.

Also, there is no "looping" to be heard in the V-Piano whatsoever (due to the modeling) whereas it sticks out like a sore thumb in all other sampled pianos. Also, my previous CLP-480 appears to have had clearer and longer sustaining samples with less looping than the newer CLP-585.

Glad I didn't throw in the towel with the V-Piano...

OK but why did you stop playing it?

#2415993 - 05/01/15 07:05 AM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: spanishbuddha]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By spanishbuddha
OK but why did you stop playing it?

This was due to the "Vintage II" presets not appearing to be anywhere close to representing a "Bosendorfer" even though Roland had labeled them as such... and, the mid-range has always been somewhat artificial as others here have noted.

Putting the quality of just the "sounds" aside the V-Piano still reigns as the best instrument when considering the long decay and sustain plus the natural sounding harmonic resonance with an outstanding dynamic range and there is absolutely no looping whatsoever.

#2416510 - Yesterday at 05:28 PM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: pv88]
Doug M. Offline

I wonder if anybody has or will do a back to back comparison between the Roland V-piano and the Kawai MP11/Pianoteq 5. It seems to me that the Kawai combined with pianoteq 5 is the most useful comparison to the V-piano. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of someone who has played both these as to whether the MP11/pianoteq 5 combination is as involving to play as the v-piano.

Perhaps someone could briefly lend a v-piano to Pianoman Chuck ;-)

#2416515 - Yesterday at 05:37 PM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: pv88]
TonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Twin Cities
There is also the aspect of "rediscovering" a fine instrument, and I suspect that is at least partially the case here. I play guitar (acoustic fingerstyle and jazz on an archtop), ukulele (instrumental fingerstyle and chord melody), harp (a Lyon and Healy 40 string non-pedal), the Roland V-Grand and a Casio PX-5S, and have the Linnstrument. I switch between these periodically as my musical interest shifts. When I switch over after a few months from one to another, it is like rediscovering an old friend. As the piano is pv-88's main instrument, the guitar is mine by virtue of the fact I have been playing it most of my life, and it is the guitar that permits me to play with and in front of other people.

It seems to me that both instruments that pv-88 mentions are very good products, and both will serve him well for a long time. From his recordings, it is obvious he is a very skilled and musical player, so he will get the most out of both instruments. This does not need to be any sort of "contest" between the V-Piano and XXX, because the V-Piano is one of many decent choices available today, each with its strengths, depending on requirements and pocketbook.

Tony

#2416535 - Yesterday at 06:45 PM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: TonyB]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By TonyB
When I switch over after a few months from one to another, it is like rediscovering an old friend.

Yes, this is the explanation. The absence makes the heart grow fonder then the re-acquaintance makes you fall in love with it again. Then after a little while the characteristic(s) that made you drift away from it in the first place start burrowing their way back into your head!

#2416588 - Yesterday at 10:38 PM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: TonyB]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By TonyB
This does not need to be any sort of "contest" between the V-Piano and XXX, because the V-Piano is one of many decent choices available today, each with its strengths, depending on requirements and pocketbook.

Tony

Tony,

You are absolutely correct as I now own several digital(s) so that each one offers different features and sounds. Here is one recording that highlights the long melodic line and the V-Piano does this very well:

[17 seconds of silence before playing starts]

https://app.box.com/s/5lqk7b0sqatyqvxipdxc

You mentioned playing the guitar:

I happen to enjoy performing original classical guitar pieces at the piano and here is a recording from 2012 when I owned the Casio AP-620, making use of a steel string guitar preset:

[14 seconds of silence before playing starts]

https://app.box.com/s/gyfhjn0u67vih9udercq

The nice option about digital(s) is that there can be guitar, strings, and many other sounds to make use of.

#2416589 - Yesterday at 10:51 PM Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: EssBrace]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Steve,

Extra note:

Glad to see you are enjoying your Yamaha CP1 as I nearly considered this one myself before buying the V-Piano.

#2416655 - 3 minutes 28 seconds ago Re: Roland V-Piano vs. everything else [Re: pv88]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By pv88
Steve,

Extra note:

Glad to see you are enjoying your Yamaha CP1 as I nearly considered this one myself before buying the V-Piano.

Thanks. But if could just combine the sound and action of the Yamaha with the behaviour of the V-Piano I would be in heaven! Nothing (yet) is perfect!

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wuthering Heights sheet music
by paradice
05/03/15 03:01 AM
How to disinfect piano keys
by PianissiGretto
05/03/15 02:14 AM
Transitioning from Alfred Basic to Premier
by Arghhh
05/03/15 02:10 AM
No Sustain Pedal for Chopin's Prelude in E minor Op28 No4!
by pianoman9
05/03/15 01:45 AM
Moonlight - 3rd movement - technique for particular passage
by dttsou
05/03/15 01:30 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,130 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,726 Topics
2,402,349 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission