2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
C
OP Offline
C
Hi All,

At the risk of opening a big can of worms.... I was hoping for a short list of what are considered the top 3 or 4 Steinway virtual pianos available today. The only two requirements are that they have ability to half pedal, and are from a full 9ft concert piano size. Also it would be great if they came in a stand alone version.... It will be used for classical piano music so will of course need to be very realistic. All opinions are welcome! Thanks.

For me, in this particular order:
1) Ivory American D
2) Ivory German D
3) Galaxy Vintage D

Steinway & Sons M (Hamburg), Kawai MP11SE, Rösler 108
Past: Yamaha N3, Kawai MP8, Kawai CA51, GEM RP3, F. Schmid & Co.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jefinho
1) Ivory American D
2) Ivory German D
3) Galaxy Vintage D

Absolutely agree with this order, and I would add the Grandeur as very close contender to the 3rd place.
In Ivory II German, I particularly like the bass, but it's a very good piano overall, and what a treat to be able to have it on ipad too, thanks to Korg.
Ivory II American is in my opinion not just the best Steinway, but he best virtual piano on the market.
As for the vintage D, which has been around for longer, it's probably the most popular on this forum and I am certain many will rate it first, but in my opinion it's not up to the 2 Ivory II.
Having said that, much depends on the audio output you use. With some headphones / external speakers / DP speakers some pianos sound better than others and vice-versa..... That's also why there are so many different opinions.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
L
L
The new NI Steinway , the grandeur, was made by Galaxy too and sounds quite good.

Also there is a new one by Soniccouture called The hammer smith which seems quite good.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To me the Ivory II products still stand tall above all others. They are the virtual pianos that I use daily.

FYI - I and a few others still prefer Ivory II German D to the Ivory II American D. But the price and packaging of the American D product make it very appealing (if you can get past the iLok issue).

3rd place for me is either the Ravenscroft or the Galaxy Vintage D. I love the playability of the Galaxy product but I have not been able to tweak it to my overall liking sound-wise.

The other six or eight products that I own have some limited appeal but I do not use them regularly anymore.

The new Native Instruments / Galaxy Definitive Piano Collection looks promising but I will wait for awhile to see how they settle into the marketplace.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 04/26/15 09:55 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
T
T
Originally Posted by login
Also there is a new one by Soniccouture called The hammer smith which seems quite good.

No key sympathetic resonance?! Nah...

Fatar Studio 900, Galaxy Vintage D, Zimmermann Silent Piano made by C. Bechstein
http://www.gentlerain.de
P
P
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Originally Posted by jefinho
1) Ivory American D
2) Ivory German D
3) Galaxy Vintage D

Absolutely agree with this order, and I would add the Grandeur as very close contender to the 3rd place.
In Ivory II German, I particularly like the bass, but it's a very good piano overall, and what a treat to be able to have it on ipad too, thanks to Korg.
Ivory II American is in my opinion not just the best Steinway, but he best virtual piano on the market.
As for the vintage D, which has been around for longer, it's probably the most popular on this forum and I am certain many will rate it first, but in my opinion it's not up to the 2 Ivory II.
Having said that, much depends on the audio output you use. With some headphones / external speakers / DP speakers some pianos sound better than others and vice-versa..... That's also why there are so many different opinions.

Audiotechnica ATH-M40x beats all other headphones as being the most accurate in produce as original sound source through dummy hearing tests. Even the waveform is almost similar to the original source.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Digitalguy: I like the Grandeur, too. I use it all the time.
I would add the Grandeur as very close contender to the 3rd place.
But have you noticed how the bass notes "swell" when you step on the pedal? It's very unnatural. I can reduce that effect by reducing the Resonance setting. But then I lose something across the rest of the range. Annoying.

piaudio: Not sure how you get this:
Originally Posted by piaudio
Audiotechnica ATH-M40x beats all other headphones as being the most accurate in produce as original sound source through dummy hearing tests. Even the waveform is almost similar to the original source.
In audio work, accuracy is a tough nut to measure. The makers of many/most speakers and headphones make claims about accuracy. But they offer no objective measure. So I treat it as just a bunch of marketing flim-flam.

P
P
There a proof if you want to hear it.

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-...nic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-...nic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Digitalguy: I like the Grandeur, too. I use it all the time.
I would add the Grandeur as very close contender to the 3rd place.
But have you noticed how the bass notes "swell" when you step on the pedal? It's very unnatural. I can reduce that effect by reducing the Resonance setting. But then I lose something across the rest of the range. Annoying.

piaudio: Not sure how you get this:
Originally Posted by piaudio
In audio work, accuracy is a tough nut to measure. The makers of many/most speakers and headphones make claims about accuracy. But they offer no objective measure. So I treat it as just a bunch of marketing flim-flam.

What are we to learn from those recordings? No definition of "accuracy" has been offered. But more importantly:

Assuming the same source material was used in both recordings, we're getting sound from ...
A: a pair of headphones (the ones being evaluated)
B: captured by microphone unknown
C: processed by audio equipment unknown
D: digitized in some fashion
E: replayed in a destination audio system
F: through any random set of speakers or cans

If the intent is to measure the "accuracy" of item A, how can we tolerate the presence of B, C, D, E, and F? What are those items doing to the sound?

In the end, it's all subjective. The manufacturer might have a way to exclude items B/C/D/E/F from a test. But we do not.

P
P
Glad you ask it! For you to find out and for us to know, start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnK1Gq7txYA
and probably ask a few questions to SSP team, I and maybe other folks curious to know your findings.

What are we to learn from those recordings? No definition of "accuracy" has been offered. But more importantly:

Assuming the same source material was used in both recordings, we're getting sound from ...

If the intent is to measure the "accuracy" of item A, how can we tolerate the presence of B, C, D, E, and F? What are those items doing to the sound?

In the end, it's all subjective. The manufacturer might have a way to exclude items B/C/D/E/F from a test. But we do not.

Last edited by piaudio; 04/29/15 12:34 PM.
C
C
Pianoteq D4.

Last edited by Corvus Corax; 04/29/15 02:36 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Corvus Corax
Pianoteq D4.

While this is probably my favoirite VST piano sound, i think the ivory comes closer to the real Steinways.. This one however is more fun to play..

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

I think the key is that it gives a relative comparison to you phones you are using. Clearly when you wearing your cheap iphone earbuds you are not going to make them sound like a sennheiser HD 800 and get an idea what it will sound like.

FWIW, I think they do give a fairly good indicator having used it myself a few times for studio monitors when I was buying them. These comparisons will give an idea how a headphone may come out in terms of EQ and emphasis on bass, mids, teble etc. but ultimately it has its limits. I think sonic sense would the first to admit that

FWIW just now I listened to the Audio technica MTH50x track on my senns HD598, I then listened to the reference track on the MTH50x, it gives a fairly decent impression I would say. smile

FWIW, I find the senns 598 is a very good match for painoteq and many piano tones/software, because they are so laid back and smooth and they take that harshness away. Works nice for the Ivory American too and are fairly neutral sounding with a fairly good flat consistent response. You can listen for hours on these things and turn them up and not get fatigue.

For music in general they can sometimes arguably be a bit boring some might say (including me) and not as in your face as some, and even the 598 is a little more forwards than the HD650/600, which for me is a good thing as it is closer to what I like, though the quality of the HD600/650 is better I would say, but you need amps to drive them.

In any case, in their price ranges the HD598 and ath50x are good jack of all trades phones I find in their respective open and closed categories, which is why I own both laugh ( btw the ath40 is more neutral, but I think the ath50 sounds better and can be EQd anyway for a bit less bass if needed to be like the 40).

The MTH50x are better for fast music and bit more bass response, the senns are better at sound staging, less edgy, less aggressive, which is important for piano tone IMO, but both, whatever you throw at them sounds good.

IMHO, for evaluating piano software comparisons I'd pick a decent full size open back headphone with as decent flat response you can get your hands on, but I am a little spoiled for choice getting to try quite a few these days in the last couple of years, it has become a little hobby of mine.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
T
twl Offline
T
1) Pianoteq D4 (Daily Preset is fine)

I encourage the OP to download the free trial to check out Pianoteq directly. Didn't put a #2 or #3 because I rarely bother with Ivory American Concert D, Ivory German D ver 2, Galaxy Steinway or Vintage D.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have Pianoteq, TrueKeys American and Ivory American Concert D, and Ivory American Concert D is my favorite. I do also like the Ivory German D (a warmer sound) and like to have the choice.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
re: the Grandeur
But have you noticed how the bass notes "swell" when you step on the pedal?

FWIW, I hear only a bit of swelling, but no more than the rest of the notes, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. This is using the default settings. I have no idea how much swelling is authentic.

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
HOWEVER, repeated bass notes holding the sustain pedal down do swell too much, yes.

Greg.

S
S
Try the Steiwnay samples from Imperfect Samples. They are very, very realistic.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I have to ask.... On the GermanD IvoryII. Do you find that it loses hammer noise at too high a level? I'd say at about mp. Maybe even m?
Is the AmericanD IvoryII different than the German in this respect?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission