2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MarieJ Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I’d like to be able to use my Zoom H2n digital recorder to capture exactly what I play on my Yamaha P95 digital piano. The plan is then to load the WAV file into Audacity on my Macbook Pro for editing, as I do when I record my acoustic piano.

The P95 has no line out, but has two headphone ports. (It also has MIDI facilities but I’d prefer not to start down that track.)

Lots of internet searching suggests a solution might be to purchase a double-ended 3.5mm stereo plug audio lead, and use it to connect one of the Yamaha’s headphone ports to the Zoom’s 3.5mm mic/line input.

Has anyone tried this? Is it that simple? Did it work?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Why not record direct into Audacity by connecting a headphone port on the Yamaha to the audio input of the MacBook Pro?

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes, it's that simple. It will work. The headphone outs on the piano will be the larger quarter inch outputs (I think). So you need a quarter inch jack plug to mini-jack lead.

Just make sure you are careful with your recording level (on the Zoom). You want a fairly meaty level from the piano so the recording level on the Zoom needn't be too high. This will minimise noise.

(Or do as MRC suggests!)

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited by EssBrace; 05/03/15 06:48 AM.
MarieJ Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Thank you both so much, MRC and Steve, for your quick and helpful replies. Apparently my MacBook Pro (13" mid 2012) has no audio input - with Audacity it would have been a neat solution. So I'll invest in the lead and the quarter inch jack plug, and see how my Zoom handles it.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . Apparently my MacBook Pro (13" mid 2012) has no audio input . . .

PMFJI --

That is _very_ unlikely!

Can you plug in a computer headset (headphone + microphone), and use Skype?

. . . If so, there's at least a _monophonic_ audio input!

It's common for Windows computers to have a 4-contact "audio in + audio out" jack. Check the manual for the Mac -- it probably says something (though I hear that Apple computers are so "intuitive" that they don't need manuals, according to Apple).

But (as previously stated) running a stereo cable from the DP's headphone output, to the Zoom's stereo "line in", will work fine.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
There must be an audio input of some sort. Probably a stereo microphone jack (3.5mm). I think these double as line inputs - probably using clever software to detect the difference between a line in and a microphone.

....but, yes...I've just looked at the specification of your MacBook Pro and there is no audio input. Amazing! What are you supposed to do?...unless the headphone out somehow doubles as an input. Very strange.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by toddy
...unless the headphone out somehow doubles as an input. Very strange.

I previously had a 13" MacBook Pro. You could choose in the settings about configuring the mini jack. By default it's a headphone but you can change it to an input in one of the menus.

That said, I seem to recall that some of the later 13" removed some sort of function and it could've been that.

MarieJ Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
It looks like the only input microphone which will work on my particular model MacBook Pro is the one that is part of iPhone's earbuds - the plug is different from the usual stereo headset plugs. So I think I'll keep things simple (?) and stick with the Zoom. Thank you Charles and Toddy for your help and advice.

MarieJ Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
With no line out on my digital piano, and no line in on my computer, I thought that I was out of luck as far as direct recording was concerned.

I picked up the stereo plug audio lead at the local electronics store this morning, and connected the Zoom to the DP with it - it worked a treat. The only adjustment I needed to make was to reduce the Zoom's mic gain. Great recording. Total cost? $4.95. I'm very happy - thanks to all for your advice.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Excellent. Enjoy your recordings!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
MarieJ, it's great that you have the D/A recorder and that this fulfulls your recording needs so well. Glad you got it sorted!

Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by toddy
...unless the headphone out somehow doubles as an input. Very strange.

I previously had a 13" MacBook Pro. You could choose in the settings about configuring the mini jack. By default it's a headphone but you can change it to an input in one of the menus.

That said, I seem to recall that some of the later 13" removed some sort of function and it could've been that.

I find this quite amazing. Sometimes, it seems to me Apple Mac take a rather high-handed approach with their customers. How can they assume the user won't want an audio input on a machine which is supposed to be arts & multi-media friendly? Just so the thing looks even more slim and super cool?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission