2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Read the manual. None the wiser. These two buttons are located at the left of the keyboard.

What I am trying to understand is why use them? Presently I am not really sure what they can and cant do, and principally why they were provided.

We have "live sets" which capture a 2d image of the keyboard settings. Do these buttons do exactly the same thing or are they for some other purpose?

thank you

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 05/08/15 02:32 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I assume that these switches behave on the RD-700NX as the do on my RD-800. If so, they're assignable. There are a lot of parameters that you can assign to them. For example, you can assign them to change the leslie simulation rotation speed in the tone wheel organ patches, or to toggle through the various live sets in ascending or descending order, or to shift the octaves of a patch up/down (useful with keyboard splits where you might need to extend the range), etc... There should be a table in the manual that lists all the possibilities that you can assign. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
L
L
In any non-Supernatural tone, press the tone edit button. Then, press the right arrow key a few times. You will see one page that is titles MFX1, and another titled MFX2. Each allows you to set up an effect that can be applied to the tone. The S1 button turns MFX1 on and off, and the S2 button turns MFX2 on and off.

For supernatural pianos, there is only MFX1, and S1 turns it on and off. S2 does control something, but I can't figure out what.

For supernatural pianos, S2 turns an equalizer on and off. S1 also seems to do something, but I cannot figure out what.

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Thank you for the replies.

I guess from this that the SI and S2 buttons do something different when a supernatural sound is selected. I am currently working with the SA E.Piano 1.

S1 does seem to turn the fx on or off. I can change the fx in the tone edit screen to e.g. space-d 3D chorus, etc..

Progress thank you.

If, with the SA E Piano 1 sound loaded, you go into menu, control, you apparently get the ability to assign fxs to both switches - but it does nothing to alter the sound.

This is not as easy as it should be, the manual is confusing

Last edited by ZeroZero; 05/10/15 01:26 PM.
If it's the same as RD800, the 3 pedals on RPU3 are FC1, FC2, and damper.
Only FC1 and FC2 (left and mid) are assignable. The right one is always damper pedal.

L
L
Originally Posted by ZeroZero
Thank you for the replies.

I guess from this that the SI and S2 buttons do something different when a supernatural sound is selected. I am currently working with the SA E.Piano 1.

S1 does seem to turn the fx on or off. I can change the fx in the tone edit screen to e.g. space-d 3D chorus, etc..

Progress thank you.

If, with the SA E Piano 1 sound loaded, you go into menu, control, you apparently get the ability to assign fxs to both switches - but it does nothing to alter the sound.

This is not as easy as it should be, the manual is confusing

When you go into menu -> Control, that is where you assign what the switches do. It does not assign effects to each switch; it simply allows you to say *what* each switch does. MFX1 On/Off and MFX2 On/Off are two of the choices to assign to S1/S2, and they are in fact the defaults. Other options are setting them to act as octave transpose buttons, controllers for the rhythm player, etc.

When the S2 switch is set to control MFX2, it wouldn't alter the sound in an SuperNatural Electric piano because there is no MFX2 - it is replaced by an Amp Sim, but there is still an MFX1 and S1 will turn it on and off.

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Lazerlike42
In any non-Supernatural tone, press the tone edit button. Then, press the right arrow key a few times. You will see one page that is titles MFX1, and another titled MFX2. Each allows you to set up an effect that can be applied to the tone. The S1 button turns MFX1 on and off, and the S2 button turns MFX2 on and off.

For supernatural pianos, there is only MFX1, and S1 turns it on and off. S2 does control something, but I can't figure out what.

For supernatural pianos, S2 turns an equalizer on and off. S1 also seems to do something, but I cannot figure out what.

You guys are really helping thanks. I am getting there but I am more muso than techno.

Incidentally my goal is to use the EP 1 supernatural tone and have at instant control a number of layers and fx that can subtly change the tone. I began to realise that the mighty Hammond functions like this, so I want ot create a 'core tone' that I can treat in various ways in a song - gig. The idea is to have a central sound and then enhance it in many instantly accessible ways.

I am spending more time with the manual, trying to familiarise myself with the tone edit functions

I amy post again smile

thanks all

Z

T
T
There are Shift key shortcuts for getting to the controller configuration. Hold Shift and press S1 and you will see. Works even for pedals.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
Y
Y

"God is in his heaven. All right in the world"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission