2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and to music.

I've started my lessons a week ago and i'm looking forward to get a digital piano to practice.

After some research on the internet, i've narrowed it down to a few choices:

Casio PX 350
Yamaha P-115
Kawai ES 100
Roland F20

I'd like an opinion from you guys since i'm a beginner and i can't really differ the sound of each piano..

Keep in mind that i'm looking for something as close to an acoustic piano as possible (sound + feel of the keys).. I don't care much to the other sounds and etc since i don't plan playing on a band or something.

Well, this is interesting! Although I haven't started lessons (and perhaps never will), I'm in the same boat budget-wise and criteria-wise.

Best of luck!

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Those are all decent choices. It is largely a matter of personal preference. All those brands are well represented in the prices paid thread near the top of this forum.

A beginner may not have a well informed opinion. So maybe decide based on visceral responses, perhaps a better deal on one model. The latter is how I decided. When I was shopping I narrowed the choices down to a Casio PX150 and Yamaha P105. I found a decent deal on the Casio and that made my choice for me.

I think most beginners way over think the choice. All the major brands have their fans and detractors. I tend to believe a beginner can work with any of those models and do well. Many tend to be happy or unhappy more based on their personality, not anything objective about the pianos.

If the choice doesn't work out, most new models can be sold or traded at around 70% to 75% of price paid. So it isn't that big a decision. If a person takes private lessons, the cost of lessons tends to quickly pass the price of most digital pianos.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Casio px 350 or Kawai ES100. Yamaha and Roland have awful key actions in that models. Use midi and PC software for sound.

P
P
I agree! If you want the best sound, play virtual pianos.
MP11 has the greatest action I ever experienced, but I would never pay again for those integrated sounds. Many people like the casio action - combined with a laptop.

Edit: I like the MP11 Rhodes sound a lot and I always use the built-in rythms. Nice to have a swing drummer in the back.

Last edited by panino; 05/18/15 02:14 AM.

MP11, ACD, RME Fireface UC
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I agree that the casio and kawai models are likely the best choices in that price range (though the others will also have their adherents). I disagree that a software based piano is necessary. The sounds and expressiveness of either of those boards should be more than sufficient for a beginner. Of course virtual instruments and software based pianos can be added if that's desired (and it's certainly nice to have the option), but it's far from necessary.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Casio is going to be your best bet in this price range. Kawais are good, but really you get more bang for your buck with Casios in the sub-$1k price. Casio uses the same sound and action for piano in all of their models, whereas the other brands put lesser action and sound in the lower end models.

So really, you get the best sound and action that Casio has to offer.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Casio is going to be your best bet in this price range. Kawais are good, but really you get more bang for your buck with Casios in the sub-$1k price. Casio uses the same sound and action for piano in all of their models, whereas the other brands put lesser action and sound in the lower end models.

Morodiene You're correct that casio does use the same action across its line of privia pianos (both the portable slab type and the furniture/console type), but it too has a lower end piano (The CDP line) that uses a lesser quality action. I've actually not played one so I don't know how o.k/horrible it is. But I've read that some people who have played it find it o.k./useable (unlike the competing pianos in that price range like the williams allegro, which seem to be almost universally panned as unplayable for any kind of serious music). The CDP line is super cheap now (guitar center seems to have them on sale for $299 as I type), but I have to think the step up to the lowest end privia ($499-ish) is well worth the money if one can afford it. Although I suppose that it's nice for the option to be there for those who can't.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Morodiene You're correct that casio does use the same action across its line of privia pianos (both the portable slab type and the furniture/console type), but it too has a lower end piano (The CDP line) that uses a lesser quality action. I've actually not played one so I don't know how o.k/horrible it is. But I've read that some people who have played it find it o.k./useable

If you can afford it, I'd opt for a better piano than the CDP range. I outgrew mine very quickly.

Roland F130-R
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Andre campana
i've narrowed it down to a few choices:

Casio PX 350
Yamaha P-115
Kawai ES 100
Roland F20
Keep in mind that i'm looking for something as close to an acoustic piano as possible (sound + feel of the keys).. I don't care much to the other sounds and etc

If you don't care about anything but piano sound and feel, there's almost no reason to buy a PX350 instead of the lower priced PX150, except that the speakers are a bit better.

My opinion is, if you're just going to play one of these using its internal sounds and internal speakers, the ES-100 is the most satisfying to play. If you might instead use the board mostly to trigger a superior software based piano in your computer, and can listen through headphones or higher quality external speakers, I'd be more inclined to look at the PX-150.

G
G
I would just keep it simple. Since you just want the piano sounds, go with the PX-150. Casio is also putting out soon the PX-160 with a new look, if you want to wait. Best bang for the buck, consist good piano key action, decent sound, the speakers are part of the piano, just need to plug it in, turn it on, and play.

I am not a beginner, but I am probably going to go with the PX-160, once it is out, for playing in jazz groups. A lot of pros are really liking the action of the Privia's. Another advantage is it is relatively light weight and easy to transport.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
Originally Posted by anotherscott
If you don't care about anything but piano sound and feel, there's almost no reason to buy a PX350 instead of the lower priced PX150, except that the speakers are a bit better.

Don't forget that the PX350 has 250 built in tones vs only 18 for the PX150, and for some this is important. I don't have the 350 but my PX-3 has the same tone bank, and this would be a deal-breaker for me (for example, I love playing the flute part on "Can't You See"). It also has a better recorder. While again this is important to me, it may not be for the OP, but as we all recommend, he/she should do his homework and make the best choice based on his needs and his alone.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by petes1
Originally Posted by anotherscott

Don't forget that the PX350 has 250 built in tones vs only 18 for the PX150, and for some this is important. I don't have the 350 but my PX-3 has the same tone bank

Actually, they don't have the same tone bank. I found the PX3 sound bank to be much better than the PX350. (BTW, the OP said they don't care about non-piano sounds, which is why I said what I did.)

A
OP Offline
A
Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I went shopping and got a good deal on a Roland F130R and ended up buying it.

Again, thanks for the replys!

T
T
I have a Casio PX-150 and a Yamaha P-35. Both are excellent low price alternatives. I even gig with the Yamaha, and it holds up well against many far more expensive stage pianos.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Andre Campana,
Congratulations on your purchase. The F130R seems like a really great choice! I hope that it gives you many years of enjoyment. It should serve you very well as you learn to play. Good Luck with your piano journey!

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
That does indeed seem like a great choice. COngrats!

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
I bought an F-130R myself a couple of months ago and I couldn't be happier. It's an excellent piano and a joy to play. Enjoy!

Last edited by TrevorM; 05/19/15 07:39 PM.

Roland F130-R
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks guys. I'm in love with it already and i don't even know how to play a single song ;D

Now, practice time =DD

B
B
Sure you do. I almost hate myself for even pointing this out, but anyone who can simply repeat one note over and over can play at least one so-called "song:" ie......

"Who let the dogs out"

(Think about it........yes it consists of exactly one note. : barf : )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission