2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by bennevis
I spent a little time teaching his daughter "Mary had a Little Lamb", which she picked up remarkably quickly, ......

Here's where we differ: I start them on "Night and Day". ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, I have tried but was unsuccessful. an adult I know stated 'he always wanted to learn' I found a patient beginning adult teacher for him, offered to GIVE him a good upright piano if he would pay the one hundred dollar moving fee and agree to commit to ongoing tuning. Alas, this was not enough. He decided he couldn't afford the one hundred dollars.

Really, when an adult wants something, they generally find a way to do it, even though it takes time. I was just hoping to reduce the time issue, but found out the real issue was lack of TRUE motivation.Very disheartening.

Children often must abide by parental restrictions so this is entirely different.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's pointless, whoever knows how much time, effort, frustration, and money is required to learn any instrument and to make music should know that is not an external force driving toward music but an internal fire. The best you can do, is show the way to somebody that already has the fire.
People want instant gratification and forgiveness for their slack of application.
You can ask forgiveness for your lack of application and go to heaven, but you can't play a concert.

L
L
I haven't had the pleasure of doing that. Some people just aren't interested, but if they show interest, I would suggest it.
My Aunt talked me into it...well she didn't have to push too hard. I think if the interest is already there, a gentle nudge is all that is really needed. Of course the person will have to really want to take the time and study. Most people say "I don't have the time."

Liz K
N
N
I've tried to get one of my friends who already plays the piano to improve. He's been playing for five years now and he can't even play a simple scale. It's like he's adamantly committed to not reaching even an unacceptably low level of proficiency with his playing. I've tried to talk him into taking lessons, or even teaching him myself, but he's constantly coming up with excuses. This wouldn't bother me so much, but he's always talking about how he wants to play advanced-level pieces.

Follow my mixed gaming and musical ambitions through my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/NTMihaila

My cover of Inuyasha - Every Heart: https://youtu.be/-rFKbUoO7bM

Currently working on Fantasie Impromptu and Animenz's Owari no Sekai Kara.
If, like me, one is a very late starter, yet gets severely bitten by the bug, it can become too easy to become a pianevangelist. So I avoid that, though if people ask me about my experience as a beginner who hadn't touched a piano before the age of 60, I truthfully tell them it's hard, but the experience of playing piano is completely different from anything I'd imagined it would be like. The exhilaration of finding, at last, that I really could make my hands do different things in synchrony is still one of the high points of my piano experience so far.

There are so many benefits to being able to play piano that it's hard to know where to begin, and they extend beyond the immediacy of music. I am not alone, for example, in finding that there's a noticeable improvement in mental and memory faculties, and in realising, in a very powerful way, the value of perseverance, which extends to other things in life.

I reign these things in when talking about piano, for no one wants, however inadvertently, to become The Piano Bore. But if asked, then I'll happily talk about what it's been like, that it's not been easy, but the lesson of determination is addictive. And it's just the best darned thing I've ever undertaken.

The determination to play, however, has to be internal.

Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Purkoy
If, like me, one is a very late starter, yet gets severely bitten by the bug, it can become too easy to become a pianevangelist. So I avoid that, though if people ask me about my experience as a beginner who hadn't touched a piano before the age of 60, I truthfully tell them it's hard, but the experience of playing piano is completely different from anything I'd imagined it would be like. The exhilaration of finding, at last, that I really could make my hands do different things in synchrony is still one of the high points of my piano experience so far.

There are so many benefits to being able to play piano that it's hard to know where to begin, and they extend beyond the immediacy of music. I am not alone, for example, in finding that there's a noticeable improvement in mental and memory faculties, and in realising, in a very powerful way, the value of perseverance, which extends to other things in life.

I reign these things in when talking about piano, for no one wants, however inadvertently, to become The Piano Bore. But if asked, then I'll happily talk about what it's been like, that it's not been easy, but the lesson of determination is addictive. And it's just the best darned thing I've ever undertaken.

The determination to play, however, has to be internal.

This says it so well.

I think people can see my eyes light up when there's a piano (or piano talk) anywhere close by. So I don't hide my enthusiasm, but it's pretty easy for me to watch *them* and see which way the wind blows.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission