2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by sirwormsalot
Free enterprise and all that. A lot of the world's wealth is owned by a disproportionate amount of people. If piano companies weren't so greedy, we'd all have better instruments at more affordable prices.

People in the piano business may be reasonably criticized of many many things, but greed? There is so much more money to be made in just about anything else for similar or less effort.

smile

i believe it was an esteemed dealer here in chicagoland (who closed their doors recently after a multi-generational run) who said to me once, "if you want to make a million dollars in the piano business, start with 2 mil."

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
believe it was an esteemed dealer here in chicagoland (who closed their doors recently after a multi-generational run) who said to me once, "if you want to make a million dollars in the piano business, start with 2 mil."

That's funny!

My own take would be this:

"Don't get into this thinking only about $$. If you want to do o.k in this business don't forget to look over your shoulders and accept the changes going on. You get penalized for while going a different way or being ahead of time, but when others will be struggling, you'll be doing just fine"

Wisdom at semi-retirement....

Norbert wink

S
S
Dealers surely must make a fair bit of money. Especially tuner/dealers.

However, I am talking about the piano businesses themselves. It's not the dealer who decides what components go into a piano or what the MSRP will be. Some pianos are better than others and patents for these instruments stop other manufacturers from copying those details, hence they are able to charge a premium and at the same time stagnate the future progression of the piano.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Entheo

i believe it was an esteemed dealer here in chicagoland (who closed their doors recently after a multi-generational run) who said to me once, "if you want to make a million dollars in the piano business, start with 2 mil."

I heard that same joke applied to starting a winery (and vineyard) in Napa Valley. But that joke must be pretty old because $2M doesn't seem like it would get you anywhere close to enough land for a vineyard and then to build out the winery.

I heard that same joke applied to starting a winery (and vineyard) in Napa Valley. But that joke must be pretty old because $2M doesn't seem like it would get you anywhere close to enough land for a vineyard and then to build out the winery.

Same here in our famous B.C. Okanagan wine region.
Just spoke to a grower who had to sell 20 acres making a huge loss.

But now runs the finest B&B in the area - making profit!!

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 05/20/15 11:28 PM.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Technicians don't always agree on design elements or material specifications. So getting them to agree on how to make pianos in a business structure like you suggest would be impossible.

If you spend time talking to Steinway tone regulators you will discover that even they have disagreements between themselves and management on how the piano should be built.

Some of this is good because healthy competition brings an incentive for people to show they can excel.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Free enterprise and all that. A lot of the world's wealth is owned by a disproportionate amount of people. If piano companies weren't so greedy, we'd all have better instruments at more affordable prices.

But what about the cartel? I really would like to know about it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Dealers surely must make a fair bit of money. Especially tuner/dealers.

However, I am talking about the piano businesses themselves. It's not the dealer who decides what components go into a piano or what the MSRP will be. Some pianos are better than others and patents for these instruments stop other manufacturers from copying those details, hence they are able to charge a premium and at the same time stagnate the future progression of the piano.

So, what ROCE do the various piano makers earn? How does that compare with equivalent manufacturers of goods? Do the members of the cartel, to which you referred, make a higher ROCE than nonmembers?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A lot is down to the market. Some people can't afford a Rolls, so drive a small Ford instead. They both intrinsically serve the same purpose (A->B), but are targeted at different people. Yes, there are some things a Rolls probably will do (or do better) which my small Ford can't - but at least I can park mine easily. And just because a person could afford a Rolls, they could still choose to drive a small Ford.

Same with pianos - people buy them with different things in mind. Some who could afford a Steinway/Bose choose a Yamaha upright. Some who play brilliantly own an old clunker. Some who own a Tier 1 piano are only average players.

So, if all pianos were equal, it would remove choice.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
S
S
And what if a Steinway model B was the same price as a Yamaha U3?
Say, 10k each?
I'd still want to play on a U3 from time to time for its brightness, compactness, historical context and comparison. The piano I would take, however, is the B.

If Steinway gave up their scaling patent and other manufacturers were free to produce hybrid pianos based on this and their materials, the more inventive piano companies out there would leap on this opportunity I am sure.

In the future, everyone will have a Rolls. Only it won't just be a Rolls, it will also fly.

Last edited by sirwormsalot; 05/21/15 03:41 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If there were no patents to protect inventions research and development would stop.

S
S
and why is that?
People are greedy.
Therego, piano corporations are greedy and we have to suffer for it.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Are you saying that we greedy people are suffering because we are greedy? If yes, I agree. grin

S
S
Life is inherently selfish. Those who are not find themselves without money and unattractive to the opposite sex.

So yes, I am blaming humans for the state of affairs we find ourselves in. A very small percent of the population owns a very large amount of the world's finances and they won't be giving it up any time soon.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Therego??

Why would a company do R & D if they then had to share the results with their rivals?

The primary duty of company directors is to maximise the value of the company.

When I go to work it is purely to earn money for me. Companies are no different.

I haven't read the full thread. What are the details of the cartel that is operating? What are the figures for ROCE on which your earlier statements are based?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission