2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I am trying to teach my 9-year old sister how to play the piano over the summer before she enrolls in a piano prep class at a local university this Fall. My sister has been taking music classes at her school so she knows the basics (such as which notes are which and what a treble and bass staff are) but I've been incorporating what my own teacher has been teaching me into my sister's lessons, such as using a metronome. Problem is, she's been struggling to keep along with the metronome's beats. And right now, we're working off the Alfred's Young Beginner Prep Course Level A books, both lessons and solo (my goal is to have her get through Level B lesson and solo before the summer is over).

So I was wondering if it's a good idea to incorporate a metronome into a 9-year old's first piano lessons just so that she gets used to keeping a rhythm in the future. Also, I was wondering if there are any other books out there that I can incorporate into my sister's lessons. Books that are suited for young beginners but go at a more accelerated pace than Alfred's does (like Suzuki's, maybe?). Like I said before, the goal is to enroll my sister in a piano prep program in the Fall and so I would like my sister to have a good piano foundation for her age down by the end of the summer.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Teaching your younger sibling is a bad idea. It's a worse idea than using the metronome with a beginner - which is also a bad idea.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Peter beat me to the punch, but we're on the same page.

Originally Posted by Macromind101
I am trying to teach my 9-year old sister how to play the piano over the summer before she enrolls in a piano prep class at a local university this Fall..... So I was wondering if it's a good idea to incorporate a metronome into a 9-year old's first piano lessons just so that she gets used to keeping a rhythm in the future. Also, I was wondering if there are any other books out there that I can incorporate into my sister's lessons. Books that are suited for young beginners but go at a more accelerated pace than Alfred's does (like Suzuki's, maybe?). Like I said before, the goal is to enroll my sister in a piano prep program in the Fall and so I would like my sister to have a good piano foundation for her age down by the end of the summer.

This is a classic example of what gives us teachers gray hair, or in my case, little hair at all.

Your intentions are wonderful, but I can see real damage occurring here. First, scrap the metronome. Second, if you're going to place her in a prep program, why are you trying to emulate it now? Perhaps I'm missing something here. I'd suggest exposing her to piano music, of a wide variety additionally, consider engaging a real piano teacher to guide her first experiences.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yikes, gentlemen, please remember that we ALL had to start somewhere. I started with two of my younger cousins, neither of whom continued with piano much longer.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ah but surely your cousins were brilliant! See how you turned out! Or was despite their efforts?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think I should have written "started teaching."

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Macromind101
I am trying to teach my 9-year old sister how to play the piano over the summer before she enrolls in a piano prep class at a local university this Fall.

Not a teacher, but this framing bothers me. frown

Can you think about letting her teach you how she learns?

Forget about the end of the summer, IMO.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Forget the metronome. And don't try to teach Suzuki unless you have been through at least the ECC and book 1 training courses or learned from a Suzuki teacher yourself. Emulating what your teacher does now is well-intentioned, but unless you are a beginner right now, what your teacher does now is not the right thing for a beginner.

Just play a few tunes and have a good time. Since she is going to start with a university course the pressure is off of you to try to cover everything. Maybe find some things you can play together, even the teacher-student duets in those method books. There are indeed methods that go faster -- Alfred Premier is mentioned a lot here, and I can vouch for Fundamental Keys.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I'd suggest exposing her to piano music, of a wide variety additionally, consider engaging a real piano teacher to guide her first experiences.

+1

You are probably going to do more harm than good if you try to give lessons while still a student yourself.

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
So pleased to see that I'm not alone in my opinion about the damned metronome. I have a lengthier and more detailed discussion of this on my blog.
https://thehappypianoprofessor.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/metronome-yes-or-no/

The second problem is teaching a sibling. I had two younger sisters, one of the a full ten years younger than me ... and when I got my ARCT she was about seven. Not for a moment did my mother consider mixing up music with the normal sister interactions.

The only good thing I can see here is the student's age. N ine is my favorite age for a beginner. They learn quickly and that keep their interest high. I love nine year olds. That being said, I would suggest here that you make a game of learning the notes. Use flash cards. Make sure she "says" the notes as she finds them on the keyboard. Saying the note names aloud has some mysterious power I am yet to pin down. But it works. The best thing you can do for your sister is get her to learn the notes. You can give her the time to practice this which many teachers don't have and that will be an enormous step ahead for her when she begins lessons with a regular teacher. Forget about the metronome but make sure she counts.

Keep this picture in mind. A student is playing a piece of music and stops ... looking for a note. There is nothing ... absolutely NOTHING .. so irritating as having a metronome continue inexorably ahead. Nothing more guaranteed to make a student hate his lessons. The metronome historically was invented to indicate the speed at which the COMPOSER wanted his music to be played. As a "tempo" indicator. Never as the straitjacket it later became. But most people don't know that history.

Embedded in each of us is our heartbeat ... steady and continuous. By simply counting, we have that rhythm right there in our bodies as long as we know the VALUE of the notes. And that you can teach her as well.

If she's comfortable with the notes and their values, you've given her an enormous head start. Forget about "playing pieces" ... or at least shift your emphasis. I can't tell you how much this will help her.

laugh

Repeat after me:

Slow practice makes quick progress.

If you are committed to using the metronome, if that's really your thing and you feel it's something you cannot do without, then for heaven's sake slow the darn thing down. AT LEAST half speed. At first, go so slowly that you CAN'T get it wrong. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then, and only then, begin to GRADUALLY pick up speed.

Last edited by oldbegonia; 05/24/15 06:00 PM.

(wife of piano teacher here)

The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is not 42. It is grandchildren.

www.beckerpiano.com <--dad
www.begoniarising.com <--mom
www.suzysellout.com <-- daughter

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission