2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I never came across trade-up arrangements, other than within fairly short time frames (1-2 yrs). I suspect that dealers mention "trade-up arrangements" in the hope that you will return there.

The reality is that you've had 10 yrs use out of your piano, and it can't be worth anything like you paid for it. Also, the dealer may just not want another Yamaha YUS/U3.

Trading any merchandise means that the dealer must account for the cost of holding and funding the merchandise till it sells - in the case of a piano, could be a LONG time. Plus, they need to make a reasonable profit from the deal.

Selling it privately is an option - assuming that you've had it regularly serviced. Also, selling privately would mean that you've got only one thing involved in the new purchase, and see competitive prices of various brands & models unclouded by their trade-in values.

You could put the same piano before other dealers as a trade - but also ask how much for their new "Stein-dorfer-awai" if you don't trade. Most will be happy to break that down.

The key is to not hurry - many of us spent months seeking out the right piano. There are lots out there.

And if you decide to go for a used piano (and there are some wonderful ones), it's well worth getting your technician to appraise it.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you really want his C3X and you can afford it, negotiate without the burden of a trad-in. Sell the YUS on your own.

Indeed.

Juli,

Imagine the following experiment: go to five Yamaha dealers. Make your best deal on the C3X. Then mention that you have a used upright to trade in and ask how much they would offer for it.

If you averaged the "net deal" you got from the five mythical dealers, I suspect that the average deal would look very similar to the "trade-up" deal you have just been offered by this dealer. If anything, the trade-up deal might be worse, because dealers may sense a mark if someone believes the trade-up deal is something special.

There are very few situations in which a trade-up deal could be a good financial situation. One that comes to mind is for folks who buy a new Steinway and then decide in very short order (a year or two) to upgrade to a bigger Steinway. That works only because there is so little difference between list and street price for a Steinway. In that case you avoid any immediate drop in resale value from the first year's depreciation. So in that case, your trade-up policy is a bit of insurance against buyer's remorse on a smaller piano.

That situation doesn't apply here.

J
Juli_et Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by turandot
Assuming you have on your hands a YUS model, probably a YUS3...
...Your best leverage is to shop without a trade-in and with the funds to buy what you want.

Yes it is a YUS3 and yes I can shop without a trade-in.

If you really want his C3X and you can afford it, negotiate without the burden of a trad-in. Sell the YUS on your own. The resale market isn't that brisk, but it helps that it's a Yamaha, and that it's only a few years old. You may not get what you feel you deserve, but you'll do far better than 2k. And you may be able to get the C3X under 33k if you're ready to buy and the dealer senses it.

I would think I can do way better than 2k. When I look in my area for private ads for used Yamaha pianos, they seem to go pretty fast, I do not see them advertise for very long except for the grey market pianos which I can prove mine is not.

On your other question, I don't know how much more you'll get out of a C3X grand musically than you can get from a YUS 52" piano. It depends as much on your priorities as your playing level. There are grands that will give you more. There are grands that will give you less than what you have now. Many people are almost magnetically drawn to grands. Some feel that anything they play sounds better on a grand. In many cases, that's just the acoustics of how the grand feeds back the music. Verticals, cheap and expensive, have a habit of throwing your output back in your face.

I guess I will figure it out by trying grands.

J
Juli_et Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
I never came across trade-up arrangements, other than within fairly short time frames (1-2 yrs). I suspect that dealers mention "trade-up arrangements" in the hope that you will return there.

The reality is that you've had 10 yrs use out of your piano, and it can't be worth anything like you paid for it. Also, the dealer may just not want another Yamaha YUS/U3.

Ok they may not want another YUS3, but it is only 3 years old, not 10. Their trade-up program is for within 10 years. I also had a damp chaser installed 2 years ago through them.

Selling it privately is an option - assuming that you've had it regularly serviced. Also, selling privately would mean that you've got only one thing involved in the new purchase, and see competitive prices of various brands & models unclouded by their trade-in values.

It has been tuned 2 to 3 times per year by the dealer owner and as I said earlier a damp chaser has been installed too by the dealer. Being only 3 years old, I had nothing else to do. Last time I had it tuned I asked if I should have it regulated soon and he said no. Only I practice on it and I work full time so I estimate it to about 500 hours per year so it was only used for about 1500 hours so far.

The key is to not hurry - many of us spent months seeking out the right piano. There are lots out there.

Yes I know, I have been looking at pianos on and off for several years now. Grands an uprights from 2009 to 2012 (when I bought my upright) and grands only since 2013.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Juli_et

I would think I can do way better than 2k. When I look in my area for private ads for used Yamaha pianos, they seem to go pretty fast, I do not see them advertise for very long except for the grey market pianos which I can prove mine is not.

Yes, you should be able to do way better, possibly five figures if you're patient. Yamaha is king in Canada. That helps. But you have to understand that YUS3 is kind of a specialty item. Not everyone will understand why it's materially better than a standard U-1. Not everyone will pay up for the difference. That's why patience is the key.

Sometimes it makes sense to start with the dealer you worked with previously. There's a comfort level and a general satisfaction with the piano you bought. But most dealers unfortunately are not into cutting old customers a break, and your dealer is telling you point-blank that regardless of his appreciation of your previous purchase and the quality and condition of your piano, he's not excited about replacing one piano for sale with anther.

Most dealers have no attachment to any piano on the floor. They might spin a yarn about how sad they are to see a particular one leave their establishment (the one you want or the one that they want you to want). However, the reality is that they want to move them out, move all of them out, and as quickly as possible. Then they can put the proceeds to work on repeating the cycle.

If your dealer happened to have a potential customer who was looking for a slightly used top level Yamaha vertical and he could move yours as soon as you relinquished it, things might be different.

As you shop around, keep the idea of a trade-in under your hat. If you find a piano of any make that you want to buy and get a firm quote, you can then bring up the potential trade-in. That way (as Piano*Dad mentioned), you can figure out exactly what your trade-in would be worth to that dealer. It's blindsiding the dealer of course, but that's business. He can say no. You can say no.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission