2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2423227 05/21/15 02:15 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha MM series? I see some people say its a Mini Motif, and others say its far from it. I lean towards the far from it crowd. I'm in the market for a workstation, and my pick is the Yamaha MOXF8. Just want some thoughts from you wonderful keyboardists!

Thanks,

K.D.W

Sound is something that you can hear. Music is something that you can feel.

- K. Wright
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The orriginal MM was based on the Motif ES....

The MOXF has exactly the same sound set and effects, and arps and even the flash memmory of the Motif XF
Differences compared to Motif XF
- way leighter
- lesser keytouch but still acceptable
- no aftertouch
- only 1 flas slot
- no sliders
- no color screen
- no sampler
- no firewire 16 channel audio interface, but a 2up/6 down channel USB interface
- lesser physicall build quallity
But in essence the MOXF is Still a full motif... Way more then its predecestors the MM and the MOX..

Its competition are the FA08, Krome and the Kurzweil pc3k.

Bachus #2423361 05/21/15 10:40 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the input! I really want the MOXF, but my budget is saying stick it out with the MM. I think I'd much rather save up for the MOXF because you get what you pay for when it comes to gear.

Thanks,

K.D.W

- K. Wright
P
P
It's very far from being a mini motif. I'd rather buy a used MOX8.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by SelfTaught99
Thanks for the input! I really want the MOXF, but my budget is saying stick it out with the MM. I think I'd much rather save up for the MOXF because you get what you pay for when it comes to gear.

Thanks,

K.D.W

Maybe look into the MOX8 instead? Since coming out with the MOXF, MOX is easy to find used. For an entry-level board, I really enjoy it. Plenty of stuff you can do with it, and it sounds great. It still has the same sounds as the Motif. I'm not sure what the difference between the MOX and MOXF is, but definitely worth it if you can't afford the MOXF.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the responses guys! What all of you have said is basically what I've been thinking all along, just wanted some input. I think I'll go ahead and officially rule out the MM8 and get ready to save for the MOXF. And to address what Morodiene said, I know that one of the differences, and probably the main difference, between the MOX and MOXF is that the MOXF has the ability to load flash. I don't think the MOX had that ability.

Thanks Everyone,

K.D.W

Last edited by SelfTaught99; 05/22/15 04:58 PM.

- K. Wright
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Right. MOX and MOXF are very similar. MOXF adds the ability to install flash cards. It also has the newer XF 741 mb ROM instead of the earlier 355 mb XS ROM, up to 8 simultaneous effect pairs instead of 3, 128 polyphony vs 64, and some other enhancements. But they are fundamentally similar. The MM is much more limited in every way. The ROM is 70 MB (which is even less than the 84 mb of the original Motif from 2001), polyphony is 32, and overall, its functionality is very limited compared to the others.

S
OP Offline
S
Yeah I'd much rather save up for the MOXF at this point. The MM just isn't appealing. And I know this may sound childish and the abilities of the board are much more important than aesthetics, but let's face it. The MM is ugly, there I said it. But I am much more concerned about what the board can do and I just have this feeling that if I were to get the MM, I would still find myself longing for the MOXF.

Thanks,

K.D.W

- K. Wright
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Right. MOX and MOXF are very similar. MOXF adds the ability to install flash cards. It also has the newer XF 741 mb ROM instead of the earlier 355 mb XS ROM, up to 8 simultaneous effect pairs instead of 3, 128 polyphony vs 64, and some other enhancements. But they are fundamentally similar. The MM is much more limited in every way. The ROM is 70 MB (which is even less than the 84 mb of the original Motif from 2001), polyphony is 32, and overall, its functionality is very limited compared to the others.

Not being able to upload new samples and sounds in my opinion severely limits a workstation, its also proven the main reason why people upgrade to moore expensive gear

However, if you dont have the money right now, the MOX is a very valid upgrade to an MM, and you could decide to sell it in a few months for almost the same money you can buy it used right now.

PwYm #2423761 05/23/15 06:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gg22
It's very far from being a mini motif. I'd rather buy a used MOX8.

Thats your opinion, but then since you didnt add any arguments as to why, it makes this post totally meaningless

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission