2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BenS Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have been reading Jan Swofford's biography of Beethoven. I think it is a great book, though there is a lot of musical analysis that is a bit beyond me. One thing, in particular, that has confused me is how on a few occasions he has drawn a distinction between (for instance) A sharp and B flat. For example he says "...but the fixed-tuning timpani insists that the A-sharp is really B-flat." Could someone explain what this means? They seem like the same note to me. Thanks, so much.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
They're not the same notes. They're two notes that refer to the same pitch in an equal temperament tuning (like is common on modern pianos). In other tunings and with other instruments they can refer to slightly different pitches.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Fizikisto is right. If you want more mind-bending:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enharmonic

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
BenS Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you. I started to try to figure out those tuning methods some time ago, but will have to take another look. I can understand how it relates to other instruments, but regardless of how a piano is tuned, aren't G sharp and A flat still a single key?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, on the piano G sharp and A flat are a single key. This is a compromise.

For a time some early keyboards were made with more black keys, e.g. two black keys between G and A, so that G sharp and A natural could be different pitches.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Not necessarily. There even are keyboard instruments that have different keys for flats and sharps.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wouter79
There even are keyboard instruments that have different keys for flats and sharps.

Still? Very cool. Which instruments? Where would one typically encounter these instruments?

Still, for a normal keyboard instrument such as one will see 99.995% of the time, and such as BenS is almost surely asking about, the answer is "Yes, G sharp and A flat are the same key on the keyboard."

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
C
C
The notes are the same (generally speaking) They are enharmonic. The reason for the name change is due to the key signature. When playing a scale you follow the alphabetical sequence and no 2 letters should be the same. In F major scale there is a Bb rather than and A# otherwise the scale would read; F, G, A, A#, C, D, E, F rather than F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F.

A rather simplistic view, but that is basically why the black notes (sharps/flats) have 2 names.

Williams Legato 88 key digital piano
Alfred's Book 1
Played Guitar Since 1990
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
But the question was actually about when people do make a distinction between A# and Bb - not the fact that on the piano with its fixed tuning they are considered the same.

A number of good explanations have been given. I'd like to throw in some other ideas. When you can adjust your pitch at will, there may be reasons to play a note a little bit sharp or flat, for musical effect - for example, to raise the 7th when it's about to go to the tonic, to give it more of an edge. Or to flatten a note. When playing with others, notes might be adjusted because of the harmonies. There is some leeway. Even if in theory maybe a Bb might be a bit flatter than an A# (I think that's the way it goes), in practice either note might be a bit sharper or flatter than what you might get in piano tuning.

In regards to the keyboards with a double manual so that you have a Bb key and an A# key - I think that was before the tuning that we have presently, because some key signatures would sound fabulous and others sounded horrendous. The tuning we have now is a compromise, so that no key signature sounds bad, but all of it is a bit "meh".

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes these instruments still exist, for instance check here

http://www.hpschd.nu/index.html?nav/nav-4.html&t/welcome.html&http://www.hpschd.nu/tech/tmp/mean-split.html

[Linked Image]

I don't know if they build them like this today.

Last edited by wouter79; 05/23/15 07:59 AM.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
BTW on that page they also show why this is needed with an alternative circle of fifths

[Linked Image]

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
But the question was actually about when people do make a distinction between A# and Bb - not the fact that on the piano with its fixed tuning they are considered the same.

The OP question was. I was answering this later question:

Originally Posted by BenS
I can understand how it relates to other instruments, but regardless of how a piano is tuned, aren't G sharp and A flat still a single key?

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
It's all about the mathematics of frequency (sound wavelength) relationships. A good discussion of different temperaments can be found in Philip Ball's The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can' Do Without It. The entire book is an interesting read and covers a lot of territory.

When Bach wrote his Inventions and Sinfonias, the temperament in common use was the mean-tone temperament, thus only 15 inventions. The notes he had available to him were C, C#, D, Eb, F, F#, G, G#, A, Bb, and B. No Ab. His Well-Tempered Clavier made use of well-temperament, which was a reasonable compromise and made all keys possible.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

B
BenS Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Stubbie
A good discussion of different temperaments can be found in Philip Ball's The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can' Do Without It. The entire book is an interesting read and covers a lot of territory.

Thanks, that looks like a great book. Apart from the question at hand, I am also very curious about what is it that draws humans to music and how is it that we developed the ability to produce it. I look forward to reading it (though there are still about 500 pages left in the Beethoven biography!).

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
The OP question was. I was answering this later question:....

You gave very complete answers. I was responding to someone else.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission