2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 35 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 34 35
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
File sent to keystring.

CYLE TWO :

Nikolas - composer

1.Valencia - COMPLETE
2.Whizbang - COMPLETE
3.Greener - COMPLETE
4.Polyphonist - COMPLETE
5.keystring - PENDING
6.dire tonic

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
If I'm reading this correctly, Poly, you've turned yours round in ~ 5 mins?. That's pretty fast work.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dire tonic
If I'm reading this correctly, Poly, you've turned yours round in ~ 5 mins?. That's pretty fast work.

smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hurry up people, team 2 is passing us in the inside lane shocked

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Poly, I think Casinitaly is missing on the cycle 2 list ?

I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Jytte
Hurry up people, team 2 is passing us in the inside lane shocked

grin

(We did have one less person...)

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

I don't think she's signed up for the cycle 2 list. She did tell me, however, that she can't work on the cycle 1 theme right now, but will be on it soon.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Is there scope then for a game of games? Two tunes, two teams of fixed personel - each going for accuracy and collective speed?

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Writing vs memorising is an interesting choice since they each make different demands and will likely afford different benefits.

I started to write it down, but found it was going to take more time this way. In the end, I discarded what I'd written, listened a bit more and recorded. Wrong. Listened again ... recorded again and uploaded.

I'll be happy with an even split on the royalties. cool

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Is there scope then for a game of games? Two tunes, two teams of fixed personel - each going for accuracy and collective speed?

I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to coordinate all involved members so that they would all be online at the same time.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to coordinate all involved members so that they would all be online at the same time.
Terribly difficult. I've tried it with 8 other composers in EMF and it didn't exactly go well, though they had tons of time ahead to prepare, there was nothing more than to chose an image and they were getting paid to do that! grin

So...

not a good idea!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

I don't think she's signed up for the cycle 2 list. She did tell me, however, that she can't work on the cycle 1 theme right now, but will be on it soon.

I did sign up as n.7 on the second cycle list - but if the team wants to wrap up at six, no problem.

I have to do a few things and then should start on my first cycle, second (harder) composition in about half an hour or so.

I am curious to see how long it will take me on this one smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I did sign up as n.7 on the second cycle list - but if the team wants to wrap up at six, no problem.

I guess we'll leave it to dire tonic to decide whether to send it to you or directly to Nikolas. He was the original coordinator, after all.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Once I get it from keystring (nothing yet) I'll check with cas and see if she has time.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

I was thinking more along the line of two teams selected for equivalent time-zone frustrations, i.e. mixed across the water. Your system...I see what you mean.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
ok, well, I have done it.... but there are actually 2 issues for me smile

one is the listening and figuring the notes, which is not "too" hard - this piece took me about 35 minutes including recording time, because I had trouble with the "rewind" for listening to just small parts and ended up playing the whole thing many times... not a big deal but time consuming.

The other thing is that for me to play this smoothly and at the right speed I'd need more time, and I feel that there is a sort of race on to turn these around as fast as possible. Be warned, mine is significantly slower than Alexander's version!

On the one hand it is just a game, and an exercise, and I know we don't want to keep others waiting but I feel there is an element of "who can do it the fastest" creeping in which isn't exactly conducive to encouraging people who are shy to join in.

On the other hand, I don't think that any single exercise (at this point) really should take up more than half an hour at a time.

What do others think about this?

Other observations: I realized at once that I would have to write something down, but I just wrote the letters and used underlines for the lengths of the notes.

Passing the music on to PianoStudent88 now.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So this must've been the 2nd version then? Haven't seen any yet obviously, but have followed the posts here. The speed thing sort of crept up on us, didn't it?
So maybe we should think about what it is we want to achieve, apart from some fun. Do we want people to make their best effort at producing a copy as close to what they got, or do we want people to 'bang it out' as fast as possible? While the latter might be fun, it probably isn't very conducive to learning from this?

Last edited by Jytte; 05/26/15 01:48 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PS: I for one might also have a bigger problem with the actual playing, time wise. But then again, it isn't about how fast or smooth we play it, is it? as long as it can be heard what it is. It is about being able to deduct a piece of music by ear.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
The apparent impatience is just first-night nerves, I think. Once we've seen a couple of these things through, we'll know what to expect. At the moment this is a bit like watching a kettle boil but "a watched kettle never boils".

On the tempo and individuals' limits to playing at the correct speed, the composer could issue a metronome count at the start of the cycle. That would enable any one of us to put it back on tempo if one of us happens to be significantly slower...or too speedy through nerves.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A metronome count? Oh, sure, no pressure there laugh

Page 10 of 35 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 34 35

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission