Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (anotherscott, Albunea, anamnesis, accordeur, Augustina, 35 invisible), 1435 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2424049 - Today at 12:04 AM Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget
AnastasiaT Offline

Hi we are looking for a piano for my 9 yr old daughter. Husband thinks digital with weighted keys/pedals is as good as acoustic.

We are looking at a Samick SC-900 which looks like an acoustic piano (sort of like an "apartment-size" piano) and has weighted keys and pedals, full size keyboard I think. I am wondering if anyone knows what the sound is like.

At the moment she has a smaller Yamaha keyboard that does not have weighted keys as we were not sure if she would love piano. She does and has quickly outgrown it.

I can't find much information on this model or the Irmbach acoustic piano that we are looking at.

Can anyone share their knowledge? We would love to buy her a fabulous piano but it is just not in the cards at this time so we are looking for the best option at this price point (used, private sale).
Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2424066 - Today at 01:17 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
I think you can do much better than that. If you can possibly stretch your budget a bit, at $499 the Casio Privia PX-150 is a vastly better piano for the money. Also, if you live in the states there some sales going on this weekend for the holiday. you might be able to get 10-15% off (musician's friend is running a sale and they're a reputable online vendor). If you absolutely can't stretch your budget that much, you might look at the Casio CDP-130, which while not nearly as good as the PX-150, it's well within your budget at $299 and still much better than the sammick. Note these are both "slab" type pianos meaning that you'll need to get a stand, but a cheap X-stand can do the job for $30-ish.

So the casio CDP with stand is the best option in your budget, but the PX-150 is really worth the price difference if you can swing it.

P.S. Casio is set to replace the PX-150 with a new model (the PX-160) in the next month or so...so you might be able to find some good bargains on the PX-150.

P.P.S. on a personal note, I think it's wonderful that you and your husband are supporting your daughter's interest in playing the piano! smile

#2424074 - Today at 01:42 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
AnastasiaT Offline

We are in Canada but I see Costco has that model for $669.99 including stand and bench.
http://www.costco.ca/Casio%C2%AE-Privia-PX-150-Digital-Piano.product.100033576.html

I guess the real argument is whether a digital piano is as good as an acoustic in the same
$400-600 range.

We are very supportive, she loves it so much, she has never once had to be told to practice! It's a wonderful thing to see the joy she gets from playing.

#2424077 - Today at 01:54 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
You might be able to find a used upright for very cheap if you get lucky. But in that price range you're likely to be much better off with a digital piano (in terms of sound and playability). Plus, acoustic pianos have additional costs associated with them (for example they need to be tuned). Digital pianos are also much more portable, and you can plug headphones in to allow you to practice silently (so as not to disturb the people living with you).

Don't get me wrong, I love acoustic pianos. If I had the space and the funds I'd buy an acoustic grand piano tomorrow (alas, I lack both the space and the funds). But for a lot of situations, I think a good digital piano is a much better fit for people's needs. The costco deal you linked to is a good deal. You'll notice that the stand also comes with the traditional three piano pedals (soft, sostenuto, and sustain). That gives you a pretty complete setup.

Good Luck with your search!

#2424080 - Today at 02:00 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Originally Posted By AnastasiaT
I guess the real argument is whether a digital piano is as good as an acoustic in the same
$400-600 range.

No acoustic piano in the $500 range is worth the trouble. The cheapest acoustic piano that would make an acceptable student instrument cost thousands not hundreds, new or used.

Get something like a Yamaha P-45 or Yamaha P-115 or look for sale on previous models P-35 or P-105.

If your child really loves piano and always practice on her own and making good progress, the piano to get would be this:
http://www.costco.com/Roland-RP-400-88-Key-SuperNATURAL-Digital-Piano-Bundle.product.100129664.html. It is a very good "entry-level" digital piano, which would last her through intermediate level playing.

#2424143 - Today at 06:25 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
pianoMom2006 Offline

Hello there. We made the mistake of buying a low end Digital new for 800 and within three months I couldn't stand it and we found a good accoustic for next to nothing . It was just an old piano but mechanically it was great just bring your tuner with you. If your child is serious, get a next to free piano from the classified ads.

#2424183 - Today at 08:44 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
Bachus Offline

I would go digital, because at that pricerange most acoustic piano's are low quallity and probably weared out, with a lot of extra cost to get it on par...

#2424195 - Today at 09:37 AM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
ElmerJFudd Online   content

I don't know if something similar is running in Canada. But maybe you can search in nearby US states.

pianoadoption.com

Worth a look. If you have space and are free of neighbors in ear shot you might get lucky. If that's not the case, then yes, decent digitals are very affordable these days.

Best.

#2424271 - Today at 01:07 PM Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The Costco price for the PX-150 bundle doesn't sound really low. But it's less than you'd pay at Axe Music, a large Canadian mail-order dealer. If there's a Tom Lee store close to you, you might talk to them and see what they could do. IMHO, the triple-pedal unit and "furniture stand" are worth having; the bench is so-so.

I agree with fizikisto and 8_Octaves -- if you can stretch the budget, do so. A new DP is a lot easier to learn on, than a worn-out acoustic piano.

When considering an acoustic piano, add some realistic costs for moving, and for tuning (every year, minimum, and more often depending on the piano and where it is, in your home). The PX-150 will stay in tune forever.

But I might be biased, and you might get different answers in the "Pianos" forum.

#2424391 - 22 seconds ago Re: Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget [Re: AnastasiaT]
kapelli Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Poland
I also opt for the digital. You will pay for the tuning like perhaps a 50-100$ once a year (I dont know the US / Canada prices), and, I have to tell you, the old cheap pianos are really bad sounding compared to new DP. Except the effect of being "natural" and have a fullersound, due to being acousting, all is worse, and, for the 9-year old, it really will be better to play on good DP.

I spend my education on an old, concert upright, which was badly maintained before got it... and... I couldn't at all to move myself forward while playing on it...

Today even the begginer DP's are quite good. And, those cheap old uprights, unless you will get a miraculous bargain, are really not worthy.

It is no brainer, I think, and, deep inside, I am tolerating only the acoustic grands wink however, the new one digitals are often much better than old uprights.

And, they often sound really awful, and, considering the cost of doing the sound to be up to your linking... better go for some middle DP wink
however, I agree, for the cost, buy a Casio or Kawai ES100.

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with CASIO CDP-200R
by Peter188
05/24/15 05:29 PM
Sweet Spot in Piano Size?
by nwpiano
05/24/15 04:11 PM
Assistance appreciated (intermediate-ish?)
by Venividivici
05/24/15 03:35 PM
Messian "La colombe"
by Eric NYC
05/24/15 02:47 PM
Charles Walter - Recent Pricing
by gte937k
05/24/15 02:08 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,399 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,307 Topics
2,410,015 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission