Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (AZNpiano, ando, amv256, Albunea, Art_Vandelay, 17 invisible), 1015 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2425274 - Today at 01:34 AM Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano
amv256 Online   content

I've been taking piano lessons for about a year now, and enjoy them immensely, but hands-down the biggest stumbling block has been the enormous gulf between the [comparatively] heavy action of my teacher's Yamaha baby grand and my own Yamaha digital stage piano. Because of this, I find it nearly impossible to practice dynamics and other nuances of performance.

I live in an apartment and have no room (nor likely the patience of my neighbors) to invest in a true acoustic piano. Sadly, I can't seem to find a digital piano anywhere—and I've played the most expensive pro models available at local stores—that even APPROACHES true piano action. Every digital stage piano, despite the sales brochure, feels like a toy by comparison. I love digital pianos personally, but they're ruining my ability to truly learn dynamics the way a traditional piano student should.

In 2015 this must be a common problem, though. Digital keyboards are the only practical solution for many students, but so many teachers have true acoustics. Has anyone else found a solution for this? It's a drag to spend six days a week practicing on what is, essentially, a totally different instrument in tactile terms.

Thanks!

Edited by amv256 (Today at 01:35 AM)

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2425288 - Today at 02:34 AM Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
Markarian Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle Area
Try the Kawai MP11. Its action is by far the closest you'll get to the real thing. I go from it to my Steinway downstairs and tbs difference isnt so shocking that its bothersome. Same action also as the CA65 or CA95.

#2425289 - Today at 02:37 AM Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
bolt Offline

Check out the Kawaii VPC1

#2425291 - Today at 02:40 AM Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: bolt]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By bolt
Check out the Kawaii VPC1

Also a good board, but needs a sound module or computer attached and the action is not as nice as the MP11, which has longer keysticks. Still, it is considerably cheaper.

#2425294 - Today at 03:01 AM Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
amv256 Online   content

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'll definitely look for the Kawaii in particular tomorrow at some local shops that might have one.

Beyond that, is upgrading my keyboard the only solution? I'm still thinking about the average kid or teenager who wants to take piano lessons seriously, but can't drop $2800 on a professional stage piano. It's not so much an issue in my case, but I feel like piano teachers in general must have some solution to the issue of so many of their students not having access to an instrument that allows them to practice.

The funny thing is that I care so little about the guts of any stage piano for practice purposes; you'd think by now someone would have figured out a reasonable way to transplant the front end of an acoustic piano onto the back end of a digital one. Strange.

#2425304 - Today at 03:42 AM Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
backto_study_piano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I'm wondering if you were to put your question to the Digital Forum - someone there might have a solution. There are many more Digital users there.

Even between playing different uprights, can mean a different feel. My teacher had a new YAMAHA grand with a fairly heavy action, as well as an elderly, but quite good upright. I had a new YAMAHA upright. Playing the 3 different pianos regularly helped me to be able to adapt to another quite well, but you do get used to your own piano.

What level are you playing at? You'll probably eventually get to a level where a Digital will hamper your progress.

Have you discussed the issue with your teacher - they might have a solution too?

I've rarely played Digital, but at one stage was playing one in Church. I found that I was better to cut the volume back a little so I had to play harder, otherwise I felt it was too soft and sensitive. But it was a quite old Digital.

#2425307 - Today at 03:49 AM Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
Groove On Online   content

Originally Posted By amv256
you'd think by now someone would have figured out a reasonable way to transplant the front end of an acoustic piano onto the back end of a digital one. Strange.

The manufacturers are already transplanting the acoustic piano actions into digital keyboards. Those Kawai boards all have really nice key actions (VPC-1, MP11, MP7). The main issue for the player is how the key-to-sound connection feels; that is still the Holy Grail for digital keyboards. Make sure to try out a Roland V-Piano, I've enjoyed playing my friend's, it definitely has one of the better key-to-sound connections.

But I think if you really want to be able to play an acoustic piano, you need to find one to practice on. Maybe a local college, music school or local bar during off-hours?

For example, near my house there's an assisted living center that has a beautiful well kept Yamaha grand. They let me practice on it as long as I buy lunch at their café.

#2425318 - 27 minutes 53 seconds ago Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
500 Post Club Member

If you're on a budget, you also might want to check out the Casio PX-5S at $999. It has a great action and feature set, especially at that price.

#2425320 - 20 minutes 7 seconds ago Re: Lessons hampered: my digital piano vs. her acoustic piano [Re: amv256]
ando Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By amv256
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'll definitely look for the Kawaii in particular tomorrow at some local shops that might have one.

Beyond that, is upgrading my keyboard the only solution? I'm still thinking about the average kid or teenager who wants to take piano lessons seriously, but can't drop $2800 on a professional stage piano. It's not so much an issue in my case, but I feel like piano teachers in general must have some solution to the issue of so many of their students not having access to an instrument that allows them to practice.

The funny thing is that I care so little about the guts of any stage piano for practice purposes; you'd think by now someone would have figured out a reasonable way to transplant the front end of an acoustic piano onto the back end of a digital one. Strange.

Ok, I'm a teacher and this is how I see it:

I make it my business to know what's out there in terms of digitals, uprights and grands at various price points. That way I can present different options to parents based on their budget. I also know where to find grey market Yamahas and Kawais because they are a valid option.

It's not up to me to provide instruments myself or setup any kind of system to purchase pianos. I just provide pros and cons for different options according to circumstance. Beyond that, the student/ parents carry the responsibility to research, negotiate and purchase their piano. But no student of mine will leave my lesson confused about the issue and what the compromises are.

Also, as a teacher, it's my responsibility to make sure my piano has a light to medium touch so that it doesn't disadvantage students. Believe me, many teachers are very stingy when it comes to the maintenance of their own pianos. They will often be ridiculously heavy, noisy, out of tune, poor dampers. I consider this unacceptable - especially when they present their piano as a good instrument. Such teachers get used to their own piano and can compensate for its weaknesses, but it's very unfair on a student to learn on a heavy old action.

Yamaha has made the Avant Grand series, which is an acoustic grand action coupled to a digital sound module and speakers, but they are super expensive. I'd say the Kawais mentioned above are the best bet for those on a budget. If your teachers piano is still noticably harder to play than these, the problem is your teacher's piano and you'll probably have to change teacher because there is practically zero chance of a teacher admitting their piano is in bad shape. And you are right that you need to have your lesson piano and your home piano not too far apart in touch in order to progress well with your learning.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Yamaha CVP-609 better than the best of Kawai and Roland?
by viettube22
05/27/15 04:48 AM
Eric Heidsieck Chopin recordings removed from Youtube
by Opus_Maximus
05/27/15 03:10 AM
Do chord substitutions need to be diatonic to the key
by DeadPoets
05/27/15 02:43 AM
How practical is amateur piano tuning for one's self only?
by amv256
05/27/15 01:46 AM
What are some cool piano facebook groups?
by brucepiano
05/27/15 01:36 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,428 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,367 Topics
2,410,937 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission