2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by JEB NYC
Originally Posted by JaneW
The key noise is caused by mechanical sticking of the keys by my fingers, so regardless of whether I use headphones or not they are there, and they will disturb other people in my home

Is the piano in a room where you can close the doors and play alone? If so, the key sounds probably won't bother anyone, even at night. As an experiment, have someone else play on the piano with the sound off (to simulate headphones) and see what you can hear from various parts of the house. With the door closed I'm betting it won't be much.

Yes, I agree that this is likely. There are also other things you can do to mitigate the transmission of sound. Having the keyboard on a rug (or carpet) instead of on a hard floor might lessen the transmission of sound. You might also mask the sound with something else, say by playing nature sounds or something more pleasant than the thump thump thump of the piano mechanism.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Jane very nice playing. smile

Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr
Wow. THat key noise is quite absurd.

The playing was excellent though. smile

Actually, the price seems rather absurd too, they go for €999 here... shocked

In that case you may want to be aware it is quite common complaint here I noticed, and if you are thinking about buying in the Casio range that I recall you mentioned. I can say +1 that it makes a fair old thumping noise too.

From what I remember play testing some others Kawais, they were not as noisy, but it is a year ago I compared so I am a bit vague on how much of a difference there really was.

As such it doesn't really bother me, especially when using closed back headphones with fairly decent sound seal, but with some full open back headphones I can hear it quite clearly at times.

I have a console digital in the Casio range on a wooden floor, so some of it may well be due to resonance of sorts with the floor not helping transmitting that sound. Suffice it say I live in a an old house with very thick walls and floors, not a paper thin new build type house where you can hear you neighbours flush the toilet laugh , I can never hear my neighbours through walls, even when their baby is crying out loud, a hoover is running etc. TV music etc ( lucky me), but my missus knows when I am playing with the headphones on because of the thumping noise, though she says it is very muffled, so doesn't bother her downstairs.

Make sure you play test if is something that concerns you, because you will find many people complaining about such issues, quite often posts come up on it here.

I am okay with it with my Casio, but I wouldn't be lying if I said it would be nice if it wasn't a bit less noisy.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 05/28/15 09:52 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro

In that case you may want to be aware it is quite common complaint here I noticed, and if you are thinking about buying in the Casio range that I recall you mentioned. I can say +1 that it makes a fair old thumping noise too.

No doubt about that. As far as I've done research, boards start getting quieter at 1.5-2x the price of what I'm currently looking at.

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

No doubt about that. As far as I've done research, boards start getting quieter at 1.5-2x the price of what I'm currently looking at.

If you are thinking just about the keybed as a priority, I recall you mentioned just using software as well as a possibility, but it would force you down the software midi route only, for not a great amount more than the PX-5S you can get a Kawai VPC1, I have never tried it but by all accounts it has excellent action and low noise.

Seeing I am mainly a software piano person now, but did not really know about this route at the time. Unfortunately they are mostly not on display as far as I can see, however the CA-15 often is, which has the same keybed in a console you'll find probably is in many places in the Netherlands, you could try that out.

Thomann regularly do B-stock for around 1000 - 1100 Euros. I've seen the VPC1 in the UK at prices very similar these days to what I paid for my Casio 450 a year ago + about 70 GBP, and not much more than the going rate of the PX5.

Mind you, I am not sure I would even like the VPC1 since some people say it is on the heavier side, but you never know 'till you try. Suffice it to say, I am happy with what I have now in the Casio keybed, but if I had to buy tomorrow it would be near the top of my to try list.

Just me personally but if I were in your situation already familiar with DAWs and got some studio monitors and all the other components already for home use I would strongly consider the VPC1 too as an option.

That being said, no frills, no spills, no mod wheel or pitch bend, just a keybed, that's about it, but for me that is by far the most important to play the piano. Synths and other things are a nice bonus, but not a priority for me, and that VPC1 action, arguably may not be the best for some of those other instruments.

pianomanchuck has some useful reviews on the Casio ranges with demos of all sounds, the 350 and PX5 are both covered, with detailed discussions about the various actions, the VPC1 is also discussed there.

You'll find it here

I thought worth to point it out to you since I did not know about half of these possible options at the time until after I bought mine.

Choices choices laugh

Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
I've never known any company to change Hardware as an "upgrade" to a current model. Two hardware variations of the same instrument simply don't exist.

Yes but it should be so easy. Motor manufacturers do it all the time; a major component (engine or transmission say) gets changed (upgraded) but everything else stays the same. One example is the 1.0l three cylinder engine in the Ford Focus - effectively replaces a 1.6l four cylinder.

Roland would benefit. They should ditch PHA-III and replace with PHA-4 in everything. Roland gets economies of scale on PHA-4 and the customer benefits from revisions to a good but noisy key action. The V-Piano already has the enhanced resolution key stroke reading that is claimed for the RD-800. Just bolt a PHA-4 in there. I bet PHA-III and PHA-4 are physically identical in terms of dimensions and structure.

Roland's flagship product has been left with an action that by your own admission is significantly out-performed by the newer action. It doesn't make sense not to upgrade it. To say it isn't upgraded just because you can't think of another example of hardware upgrades in the DP world is not a good reason at all!

Sigh,

I do not wish to derail Jane's thread any further. So my final words on this are...

We are not in the car industry.

The key sensor in the V-Piano and what made its way to the PHA-4 action are in fact different.

It's not as easy as you claim, to just "ditch PHA-III and replace with PHA-4" and it's misleading to assert that.

It would be unfair to EVERY customer out there right now enjoying their PHA-3 equipped instrument if we upgraded the same model with a new action.

Believe me, there are many, and the number still grows daily.

As models are replaced, newer actions will be included with them. That's the way of the world in electronics. You may not like it, but it is what it is.

Jay

Industry Consultant
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Sigh,

Nice attitude Jay.

Great timing, just as I've been looking at the RD-800 a senior Roland person basically tells me to shove it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've never known any company to change Hardware as an "upgrade" to a current model. Two hardware variations of the same instrument simply don't exist.

Yes but it should be so easy. Motor manufacturers do it all the time; a major component (engine or transmission say) gets changed (upgraded) but everything else stays the same. One example is the 1.0l three cylinder engine in the Ford Focus - effectively replaces a 1.6l four cylinder.

Roland would benefit. They should ditch PHA-III and replace with PHA-4 in everything. Roland gets economies of scale on PHA-4 and the customer benefits from revisions to a good but noisy key action. The V-Piano already has the enhanced resolution key stroke reading that is claimed for the RD-800. Just bolt a PHA-4 in there. I bet PHA-III and PHA-4 are physically identical in terms of dimensions and structure.

Roland's flagship product has been left with an action that by your own admission is significantly out-performed by the newer action. It doesn't make sense not to upgrade it. To say it isn't upgraded just because you can't think of another example of hardware upgrades in the DP world is not a good reason at all!

Sigh,

I do not wish to derail Jane's thread any further. So my final words on this are...

We are not in the car industry.

The key sensor in the V-Piano and what made its way to the PHA-4 action are in fact different.

It's not as easy as you claim, to just "ditch PHA-III and replace with PHA-4" and it's misleading to assert that.

It would be unfair to EVERY customer out there right now enjoying their PHA-3 equipped instrument if we upgraded the same model with a new action.

Believe me, there are many, and the number still grows daily.

As models are replaced, newer actions will be included with them. That's the way of the world in electronics. You may not like it, but it is what it is.

Jay

I guess that rules me out stuffing a PHA4 in my DGX. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Just me personally but if I were in your situation already familiar with DAWs and got some studio monitors and all the other components already for home use I would strongly consider the VPC1 too as an option.

My gripe with controllers is you can't just walk up to them and turn them on without having to turn on some kind of computer. Switching on my speakers and interface is easily done, probably within the time something like a PX-5S boots up.

Sure, I'll use a DAW for recording, but I'd like to be able to use it without a computer as well.

When the PX-5S is almost too much cash to cough up, a VPC-1 is definitely not an option. If it was, I'd probably consider an ES7 over a VPC-1.

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 05/28/15 02:56 PM.

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
on YouTube
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sigh,

Nice attitude Jay.

Great timing, just as I've been looking at the RD-800 a senior Roland person basically tells me to shove it.

At no point did I imply that you should shove it. Not at all...

This is unfortunately what happens when an end user over simplifies the process and thinks that they know better than a team with decades of experience.

You don't seem to want to accept that what you're asking for is impossible, and is simply not the way product R&D, Design and Manufacture is done.

I regret you feel that I "Basically told you to shove it", as that was not my intention.

Don't let the perceived attitude problem stop you from checking out what is one of the best Pro Pianos available.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 05/28/15 02:57 PM.

Industry Consultant
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

My gripe with controllers is you can't just walk up to them and turn them on without having to turn on some kind of computer. Switching on my speakers and interface is easily done, probably within the time something like a PX-5S boots up.

Sure, I'll use a DAW for recording, but I'd like to be able to use it without a computer as well.

When the PX-5S is almost too much cash to cough up, a VPC-1 is definitely not an option. If it was, I'd probably consider an ES7 over a VPC-1.

I appreciate the argument for standalone in many ways but for me I find it no issue, so to each their own smile.

For me the software piano sound is worth it alone even if it was 20 seconds I'd still do it, just my 2 cents though.

In my case my PC is always on anyway, to use ivory or pianoteq I don't need a DAW to run it for regular practice or even simple piano recording, which is what I use most of the time, I use these apps by themselves and they are standalone apps that boot very quickly, 1 to 2 seconds, Cubase does take a fair bit longer to boot up.

For me it is literally one click on the desktop, walk over to the piano, switch it on and I am ready to play, both of these software packages boot faster than my Casio, which is itself is no slouch mind you, 5 secs or so perhaps.

My honest beginner opinion, Casio grand sound which is perfectly fine to play and practice, and that is not to say there are good pianist play a 1000 times better than I can make great music with them. in bands and mixes it can sound great too, but for pure solo piano sound, classical, the software pianos I now use I feel more inspired to play, and enjoy it that much more.

As time has gone by I have less and less tolerance for the Casio grand sound, but again may be that's just me. :shrugs

I suppose that's why I feel strongly about the VPC1 as all the money goes into the the best key bed one can buy for the money, since I feel the buildin sounds are just collecting dust these days most of the time. My piano has turned into a MIDI controller more or less 90% of the time.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 05/28/15 03:46 PM.

For me, it's closer to 20 minutes than 20 seconds.

I understand and acknowledge your argument in favor of the VPC-1. But I simply can't afford it and if I'll ever end up on stage with a piano, it wouldn't be very practical. Maybe there's a VPC-1 in the cards at some point, but not right now.

Tomorrow I'll play some pianos in the store. The store doesn't carry Kawai. However, they do carry pretty much everything else and I sure will try the F-130R for which this thread was created. Quite curious to find out how the action is compared to that of the Casio models. smile

on YouTube
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission