Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, ando, anamnesis, 36251, Albunea, anotherscott, 32 invisible), 1381 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2426521 - Yesterday at 03:05 PM Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others
Schick Online   content

Loc: Canada
I realize this forum isn't here to assist me on every issue, I just need a pointer on what the issue may be related to, so I can begin research in the right direction.

The key sounds weak. It needs to be struck (correct word?) much harder to get a volume equal to others.
Things of note:

1. It has a newer hammer. One of two in the complete set.

2. If I press the keystick and hold it, the hammer remains much further forward than any of the others. Appears as only a centimeter or so from the strings, while it neighbours are at least double that.

3. While the bridle strap is old, it is intact.

4. The capstan screw appears to be at the same height as the others.

5. The keystick moves freely.

My apologies about the info I provided. I am unsure what other data to include. Thanks for any advice as to where to start looking/researching.

(ad 568) PTG Convention 2015 Denver
PTG Convention July 15 to 18 Denver
#2426647 - Yesterday at 05:30 PM Re: Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others [Re: Schick]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Check
1) the backcheck - has it got pushed forward somehow, or is it in line with its neighbours at rest?
2) that the jack flange is secure in the wippen and hasn't risen out of it due to the glue joint failing
3) that the key is level with its neighbours and that the key depresses by only the same amount as its neighbours (if the front rail washer is moth-eaten away you will have too much 'dip')
4) that something odd hasn't happened with the catcher buckskin or the hammer butt notch buckskin and the hammer butt notch felt pad that the jack tip rests on.

Is the new hammer the right size?

Two centimeters is too much for the checking distance of the other keys - it should be around 15mm or 5/8".

Edited by David Boyce (Yesterday at 05:31 PM)

#2426670 - Yesterday at 05:55 PM Re: Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others [Re: David Boyce]
Schick Online   content

Originally Posted By David Boyce
Check
1) the backcheck - has it got pushed forward somehow, or is it in line with its neighbours at rest?
2) that the jack flange is secure in the wippen and hasn't risen out of it due to the glue joint failing
3) that the key is level with its neighbours and that the key depresses by only the same amount as its neighbours (if the front rail washer is moth-eaten away you will have too much 'dip')
4) that something odd hasn't happened with the catcher buckskin or the hammer butt notch buckskin and the hammer butt notch felt pad that the jack tip rests on.

Is the new hammer the right size?

Two centimeters is too much for the checking distance of the other keys - it should be around 15mm or 5/8".

The backcheck is in line with its neighbours. Quite close, in fact.

The jack flange seems fine looking quite solid. It also looks very much like its neighbours.

Key leveling. The washers on the front rail seems to be in about the same shape, fair. the balance rail felt is a mess, with only a small bit of the washer remaining. Sadly it very similar to most of the washers I have examined onthe balance rail. Looks like while the keys seem level, all the washers will have to be replaced. Time for me to save, and then source out a few kits.

The catcher buckskin and hammer butt buckskin seem okay, or at least similar to the neighbouring keys. The hammer butt felt seems okay as well. Too be frank, I know so little and will have to educate my self more in determining what conditions to recognize as bad. I don't know how you guys do it. Just getting a good look while the action is in place is tough. :-)

The new hammer extends back (towards) the strings about .15 - .2 inches further. The replacement hammer is about .12 inches shorter than the originals.
Pictures would be handy, but I have just taken my camera in for warranty repair, and am in the process of finding a loaner.

I will try and put a few images up later.

Thank you for responding.

Edited by Schick (Yesterday at 06:11 PM)

#2426675 - Yesterday at 05:57 PM Re: Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others [Re: Schick]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is difficult to make hammers from different sets sound the same.

#2426705 - Yesterday at 07:06 PM Re: Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others [Re: Schick]
Schick Online   content

Some pics. Looks like I have some study ahead of me. Picture quality is not great, as I was forced to borrow my sons camera. Mine went in for warranty today.

The rails are in need of some serious work. The balance rail washers are the worst.

This washed out image (sorry) does not show much.

The hammer in question.

Hammer side by side. The problematic hammer is on the right. This spliced image is with both hammers full forward as I push up on the wippens. The right hammer is touching a bit,

Not sure if the oics help at all.

I am wondering if I should pull the action when I decide to start repairing some hopefully easy things (I am so naive). The piano needs a serious tuning, and I am in the middle of nowhere, I would hate to pay extra for the tuner to come all this way and have to deal with some of the issues such as this quieter key, and the straps and washers, etc.

Maybe I am too foolish to realize I am in over my head. I am diving in to try and learn elements of a profession that clearly takes years to learn.

I mean no offense to the pros. I am simply remote from services and trying my best. I hope you all understand my respect for you all.

#2426861 - Today at 09:44 AM Re: Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others [Re: Schick]
Steve Senseney Offline

In the last two pictures, it looks like the hammer is longer, and has less distance from the string.

This means it will have less power as it strikes the string, and will be somewhat less volume.

It increase the strike distance, you might remove the hammer, plug the original hole, and redrill at the correct distance.

With a couple of new hammers, their weight, and felt hardness may be different than the originals, and it may be difficult to match the volume and tone easily.

Edited by Steve Senseney (Today at 09:45 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2426910 - 7 minutes 35 seconds ago Re: Key requires more velocity to achieve same volume as others [Re: Steve Senseney]
Schick Online   content

Originally Posted By Steve Senseney
In the last two pictures, it looks like the hammer is longer, and has less distance from the string.

This means it will have less power as it strikes the string, and will be somewhat less volume.

It increase the strike distance, you might remove the hammer, plug the original hole, and redrill at the correct distance.

With a couple of new hammers, their weight, and felt hardness may be different than the originals, and it may be difficult to match the volume and tone easily.

I may have o do some research and see how to remove the entire assembly for that key, if needed. It is odd that the rear of the hammer is forward as well.

Is the entire group of parts for one key referred to as a hammer assembly?

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hairline cracks in soundboard
by bogdan101
8 minutes 26 seconds ago
Mathias Recalls Chopin
by Batuhan
Today at 11:57 AM
New Piano
by Ozan
Today at 09:53 AM
Steinway Centennial Square Grand?
by Eric Gloo
Today at 09:23 AM
First acoustic piano
by Dave Androos
Today at 08:46 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,466 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,442 Topics
2,412,495 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission