2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm looking at buying a used Yamaha C7 piano, and I've found what I think is a pretty good deal on a 1997 model. I don't want a player unit on my piano, but this one has an older one on it (not sure the make/model at this point.)

My questions are:
1. Does it affect the action significantly?
2. Does it affect value/resale?
3. Is it possible to remove altogether and get close to the original?
4. Are the other reasons why I should pass on it?

Thanks in advance!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Do you know that the player system is not original? There are C7 Disklaviers.

Semipro Tech
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Not sure, but I'll double-check. I'm mostly sure it's not that one but an older Pnomation/PianoDisc. I do know that it is upgradeable.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
We still don't know what or when the player was installed, but for PianoDisc or QRS, 1997 is about the cutoff for upgradeable systems. If it is the disklavier, it would be a Mark II and not really upgradeable to a newer disklavier system.

Find out some more details.

1) A player system would not affect the action significantly. Some installations are much better than others when addressing the pedals and redressing the key frame after it is cut for the system. Like any used piano, you need to check for condition. Using the player system wears the piano about the same as playing.

2) Player systems do limit potential buyers for larger, professional instruments, so that may be why it would be offered as a better deal. It matters much less on baby grand pianos, and may be an asset in some cases. For most player pianos, the piano holds value while the technology does not. The quality of the original installation is yet another variable when looking at aftermarket systems.

Diminished resale works both ways. If you're getting a deal, know that you'll have to give one later if you resell it. It will also likely take longer to resell, again because it is a large player piano.

3) If you remove the system, you also need to fill the key bed slot, plus find and redo the pedal trapwork. This is basically more labor than installing the system in the first place and not usually worth the effort. If it is a factory installed disklavier system, removing it is a waste of time. In either case, you can always remove and store the control unit and leave it off if the look bothers you.

4) I would only shy away from that instrument if the condition does not check out OR if I knew there was a very reasonable scenario where I would have to sell it quickly. How much do you like that piano? Do you enjoy playing it or are you drawn by the brand and model reputation? Often people get those out of order. Many people like the C7, but it is still just one among many.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you so much for the thorough reply.

I like playing C7s a good bit, and I don't plan to sell it quickly. My concern was long-term ownership. I haven't played this exact one and wanted to make sure that it was even a realistic option before trying it out.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cflux
I haven't played this exact one and wanted to make sure that it was even a realistic option before trying it out.
I'll be curious to know how that one turns out for you.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm curious too. Also, the unit is a Disklavier Mark II XG.

B
BDB Offline
B
An original Disklavier is more valuable than if it had been an add-on unit.

Semipro Tech
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Gotcha. I just don't like acoustic pianos that play themselves smile

B
BDB Offline
B
I had a customer with one who thought it was a great learning device, because it records as well as plays. So you can record your playing, and then listen to it as others would hear it.

Semipro Tech
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That's a great point. I usually record myself with my phone as reference. But that is a much nicer-sounding option.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never played with a Disklavier except just a cursory look, so I can't comment on the technical side of it.

I'm not certain, but you should be able to use it as a MIDI instrument for recording and playback as well. If you don't have one, there are several good free MIDI program uploads for your computer - MuseScore is one I use.

I was my children's accompanist right up till their second last year of Conservatory, and I recorded my accompaniments to their performance & exam works (using a synthesiser - but would have been far better on the real thing) so they could practise along to my accompaniment when I was at work etc. They could pick a small segment to repeat, slow it down, speed me up!! etc.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
C
Cflux Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Alright folks, going in tomorrow early to go check out the C7. Excited for the possibilities, but having second thoughts and thinking that an AvantGrand N2 might fit the bill at less than half the price. The key is to have an instrument that is adequate for preparing me for public performance, so accurate action is extremely important.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cflux
Alright folks, going in tomorrow early to go check out the C7. Excited for the possibilities, but having second thoughts and thinking that an AvantGrand N2 might fit the bill at less than half the price. The key is to have an instrument that is adequate for preparing me for public performance, so accurate action is extremely important.

I only played an AvantGrand once - and not for long before it bored me. Just make sure, with a good LONG playing session that it's something you can play for extended times. While it's cheaper, it will be very expensive if you get bored quickly and decide to change.

If cost is an issue, maybe you could look for a smaller grand. Don't rush into the purchase.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
S
S
Absolutely do not get the Avant Grand. Acoustic piano all the way if your aim is to prepare for public performance.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission