Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (Al LaPorte, anamnesis, Amir, Auver, AndyP, 23 invisible), 1090 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2427056 - 05/30/15 11:49 PM New Octave Survey
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am very excited to announce that I have finally been able to program a web app that allows tuners to tune real piano notes on a computer.

It is not a real piano, but recordings of real piano strings.

I have been able to use Audacity to pitch shift recordings so that I have 22 different A3's that can be played against a fixed A4. The A3's are 0.5 cents apart which means the octave A3A4 can be tuned to a reasonable accuracy. I probably could get finer resolution but I don't know if we need it.

The app also allows us to test different inharmonicities. My journal article this month and one of my PTG classes is based on the premise that not all pianos sound good with the same size octaves. Your participation in this survey will help me to define better criteria for determining what octaves sound best with pianos of different inharmonicities.

Please help me by taking the short survey. You will be able to tune three different octaves by changing each A3 and then email me the results.

Comments welcomed.

Here is the link: http://howtotunepianos.com/three-octaves-survey/

(ad 568) PTG Convention 2015 Denver
PTG Convention July 15 to 18 Denver
#2427058 - 05/31/15 12:02 AM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
I'm try test yours any octaves but it's have not sound when I pressed button

#2427060 - 05/31/15 12:12 AM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
1000 Post Club Member

Try a different browser. It needs to be HTML5 compliant. (Also check your volume)

Go to https://html5test.com/

Look at 'Web Audio API' under the Audio section. It should say "Yes" or "Prefixed".

#2427110 - 05/31/15 07:47 AM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Without the checks I usually use this was an interesting exercise, but it was a bit like tuning blindfolded. Also I think I left a bit more of a roll in the octaves than would have been there once the internal 4th and 5th and whatever I could grab from outside the octave had been factored in.

'Interesting, Mark.
-----

#2427164 - 05/31/15 11:00 AM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
I don't see the point of this when octaves are not being sounded together - to my mind it is totally without any merit that is to do with the real world of piano tuning where one note is placed best to match so many other intervals.

#2427209 - 05/31/15 12:55 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
gave it a try but it seemed to me the only beating partial occured at a4 - made it a little odd- what do you do with a 2-1 electronic octave in the middle of keyboard.
interested to hear your result analysis and get a better idea what you are trying to do.

#2427217 - 05/31/15 01:21 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
1000 Post Club Member

Johnkie, I respect your comment as it is one that has been made before in reference to these surveys I am creating.

Perhaps you will see the merit once you understand my perspective.

1. Many people tune A4 to the fork, then A3 to A4 before moving on.

2. Therefore, we have no direct interval reference for tuning A3A4 when A3 is the second note tuned.

3. Some people have criticized the RBI approach where we use check notes to set octaves as certain sizes re: 4:2 and 6:3. They say, "I just tune the octave clean and listen to the whole sound". Well, if there even is a "best" octave attainable without check notes, we should see a consensus with this test. So far, there isn't one.

4. In order to tune an A3A4 as accurately as possible, without any further refinement needed, we need to define just what is the best sounding octave.

5. I get extremely frustrated with having to retune any notes at all. Notwithstanding unavoidable drift, which I have found to be a lot less than many people report, I do not want to use any method that forces me to guess when I don't have to.

6. My goal and focus (obsession?) right now is to define an aural sequence that reduces as much as possible any guess work when tuning aurally. The result should be little or no revision needed once the temperament is finished. This is not a pipe dream. My efforts have resulted in my own tuning becoming much more accurate the first time through, and of course, that means faster.

So far, the tests have shown that:

1. There is no consensus on what the best octave is when just listening to it without checks.

2. Therefore, tuning octaves without checks should result in an unnecessary degree of imprecision; octaves that are not the same size.

3. Non consensus gives the feeling that octave sizes are not important, not critical, there are many sizes that are good enough. But without precision, the higher treble will suffer. The temperament must be tuned with precision; it is the foundation for a singing treble. Therefore, we need a more precise method than just listening to the whole sound of the octave, if we want to be precise.

I will soon post another web page that describes, what I believe is a better, more precise way to tune appropriate size beginning octaves like A3A4 and F3F4, using check notes, that produces "best" octaves for the particular piano we are tuning, according to its iH.

Basically it will be the same page, with F3A3, F3A4, A3C4, and C4A4 available.

Hope that gives you an idea of where I'm going.

FYI, I tried to tune best sounding octaves then save them as #10's.
All were from my Kawai grand.
Octave 1 was A3A4. This was tuned as a wide 4:2/narrow 6:3.
Octave 2 was made tuning G3 up to A4. This gave a pure 4:2/pure 6:3 as far as my ear could tell using the checks. (More matched B values)
Octave 3 was made tuning C#4 down to A3. Man that sounded bad, but surprisingly familiar! I'm sure we've all tuned a few like that. It was tuned as a pure 4:2 with narrow, and beating, 6:3.

I do have to remeasure to confirm that #10 is what I thought I tuned them as, but you get the idea of how the test was designed.

Best regards,

P.S. Much of my research is published in the June 2015 PTG Journal, but surprisingly, some of it is dated already as I have modified a few steps to make the method even more efficient.

Edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT (05/31/15 01:26 PM)

#2427221 - 05/31/15 01:24 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Gene Nelson]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Gene Nelson
gave it a try but it seemed to me the only beating partial occured at a4 - made it a little odd- what do you do with a 2-1 electronic octave in the middle of keyboard.
interested to hear your result analysis and get a better idea what you are trying to do.

It will be much easier to ascertain the size of the 4:2 and 6:3 when I add the F3A3, F3A4, A3C4, and C4A4.

The A5 and E6 are audible if you listen carefully. Especially with Octave #3.

I encourage you to record them and run them through a band pass filter, which I will eventually do and post for people to hear what aural tuner's hear.

#2427305 - 05/31/15 04:01 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It seems, when it works, that it has the same problem I am finding with all these electronic tuning devices: that the accuracy seems to be limited by the equipment it plays on. On my computer, it seems like I can change the number showing up without necessarily changing the way it sounds.

It is like Schnabel's comment when told that the DuoArt system had 16 levels of volume: "What a shame! I have 17."

#2427356 - 05/31/15 05:01 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I felt like I was influences by some preconception about octave size because I knew which direction the octave sizes were going. Perhaps it would be better if the octave size changes were random but known only to you. Then there may be less bias in the way we listen.

For octaves 1 and 2 I could tolerate between 8 and 12. Octave 3 was more ambiguous because different partial matches seems to come into play more obviously.

Edited by Chris Leslie (05/31/15 05:02 PM)

#2427374 - 05/31/15 05:34 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: BDB]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By BDB
It seems, when it works, that it has the same problem I am finding with all these electronic tuning devices: that the accuracy seems to be limited by the equipment it plays on. On my computer, it seems like I can change the number showing up without necessarily changing the way it sounds.

It is like Schnabel's comment when told that the DuoArt system had 16 levels of volume: "What a shame! I have 17."

The notes change by 0.5 cents, the threshold of our hearing according to one of my studies, and confirmed by your comment.

#2427381 - 05/31/15 05:40 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Chris Leslie]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Chris Leslie
I felt like I was influences by some preconception about octave size because I knew which direction the octave sizes were going. Perhaps it would be better if the octave size changes were random but known only to you. Then there may be less bias in the way we listen.

For octaves 1 and 2 I could tolerate between 8 and 12. Octave 3 was more ambiguous because different partial matches seems to come into play more obviously.

Your experience is common. My hypothesis is that when listening to only the octave, we are more tolerant. My position is that for a superior tuning, this tolerance is way too much, and we must have another way to create much higher precision. I use to think that a beatless octave was easily set using our ear and tuning directly with no checks or references. This survey proved me wrong. For precision, we need something more.

I designed the app to simulate actual tuning as much as possible. That's why the a3's progress.

#2427383 - 05/31/15 05:44 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
1000 Post Club Member

Update. I measured all the checks for octave 1. A3 at #10 is confirmed as a pure 4:2/pure 6:3. If you listen carefully, one can discern a slight breath of a roll in a3#9 and a3#11. In my opinion, #10 is as beatless as possible. This is confirmed by the measurements of the checks.

#2427393 - 05/31/15 06:01 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Yes, tuning by trying to listen to octaves without using checks or cross-references is very prone to inconsistencies.

Ever tried to fine tune a whole piano from a given temperament by using octaves only? I think some tuners do, or did in the past. That is how I was shown many years ago. These days I do that for quick pre-tuning when a minor pitch correction is needed.

#2427476 - 05/31/15 11:05 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Except that my comment was that the sound is the same for several changes, not just one. It seems to be about 7 or 8.

#2427553 - Yesterday at 08:50 AM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
It's interesting that after I ran through the set with some consumer headphones, I did it again later with my studio reference phones (Seinheiser Pro 280), and the numbers I would have chosen were different.
-----

#2427636 - Yesterday at 03:05 PM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Chris Leslie]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Yes, tuning by trying to listen to octaves without using checks or cross-references is very prone to inconsistencies.

Ever tried to fine tune a whole piano from a given temperament by using octaves only? I think some tuners do, or did in the past. That is how I was shown many years ago. These days I do that for quick pre-tuning when a minor pitch correction is needed.

Chris I do that all the time,

The surprise is that checks are necessary for a few notes but as they sound good for a given range they can be avoided

There is some "character" of the ocatave that allow enough precision and leave me with a neat progression of FBI, so if I play checks it is more in the difficult sections

NO comparative "checks" in fact, just listening to the intervals created, 5th 4th 3d etc

if one use comparative checks, the ear is perturbed and do not remind the octave as well for the next note.

I see the octave and all the intervals within it as an ensemble; it have a kind of coherence that is really precise enough

Edited by Olek (Yesterday at 03:07 PM)

#2427814 - Today at 06:23 AM Re: New Octave Survey [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By Mark Cerisano, RPT

Your experience is common. My hypothesis is that when listening to only the octave, we are more tolerant. My position is that for a superior tuning, this tolerance is way too much, and we must have another way to create much higher precision. I use to think that a beatless octave was easily set using our ear and tuning directly with no checks or references. This survey proved me wrong. For precision, we need something more.

I designed the app to simulate actual tuning as much as possible. That's why the a3's progress.

DO you deny that when tuning octaves the ear is listening to all available partials ? The octave is not a "rich" interval, My theory is that once one know how to tune different unisons , the octave is not different and can be weighted and tuned as precisely as one want
In low basses this may cause some trouble indeed, but even in treble and high treble a few checks of the double octave or the doubled 17th progression seem to be enough to maintain consistency

May be just listening or "musical "habits, I have no clue, but I can generally tune by octaves with good precision

that should work too tuning by tenths or by 5ths for instance but the octave being more neutral it is easier, and I prefer not to compromise them now (they are responsible for the highest consonance in the instrument so they must line well together)

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Monitoring
by Dave Androos
06/02/15 06:33 AM
Rachmaninoff: Sonata No. 2, Op. 36 (original 1913 version)
by pv88
06/02/15 05:33 AM
Site update
by mikka942
06/02/15 04:58 AM
Harriette Thompson, 92, owner of Imperial, marathoner
by hoola
06/02/15 03:38 AM
rolnd jv1000 repire help
by captain pian0
06/02/15 03:35 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,501 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,509 Topics
2,413,391 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission