2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
I've been writing music for about 6 months. I've been trying to avoid cliches. But someone (Mark Polishook - a wonderful teacher BTW) suggested I try writing some cliches. And it dawned on me that imitating or (hopefully maybe better) mutating them might be a good learning exercise.
All I've come up with - cliche wise - is the old I vi ii V - chord progression. So maybe it would be fun to put on your musical thinking hat or cap of choice and suggest some cliches that you either like, find interesting, or are maybe way too cliched. Thinking as I type here - could a series of ii V's - a harmonic sequence be considered a jazz cliche ?
I'm thinking of sophisticated pop like Sinatra. Also jazz standards. If you have any you want to share, please give a youtube example and the approximate time(s) in the youtube vid.

It just occurred to me, the ii V iii Vi ii V chord changes at the end of many jazz tunes is another big one.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 05/25/15 01:24 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgQsYBi2-g at 0:000001

the james bond move: minor chord , minor chord b6, minor 7 chord, minor b6 chord, minor 6th

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA6OCGLCUec at

the refrain at 1:21 contains a similar descending line: minor chord, minor maj 7th, minor 7th chord, minor 6th

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNv5sPu0C1E

Star wars, the emperor march has minor chords at a 3rds distance. It has been used to portray evil since Wagner. It's all over the place in film scores. Subsequently; major chords at a thirds distance has been used to portray heroism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovxbXaJs-90 (at 0:00001)

Last edited by KlinkKlonk; 05/25/15 06:58 PM. Reason: clarity
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Thanks huge Klink. Or should I call you Mr. Klonk.

I'm going to play around with the descending 7th thing. And the ascending 5th thing. The James Bond rising 5th is so iconic.

But hey, I have Stevie Wonder's Innervisions album in vinyl. When I listened to "Golden Lady" - "Don't You Worry About A Thing" popped into my mind. The descending half step thing. Stevie got mileage out of it. By the way, I haven't listened to any of my vinyl in decades. Will get a turntable one of these days.

The descending 8 #7 7 6 (the top note) starts at the very beginning.
Don't You Worry Bout A Thing - by Stevie Wonder
https://youtu.be/QkBUx6Zn6mo

Last edited by indigo_dave; 05/26/15 07:36 PM.
G
G
The All Inclusive, All Genre Lick, gets into other genres near the end. And even soundtrack clips on the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDxhnaKD7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKL2It6XzHA

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
To create a new cliche, try using Map of Chord City :

[Linked Image]

Rules for using this map as follows:

1. Use 3 types of chords: maj7 (6); m7 (6); X7

2. Can be used in different combinations:

a) only one repetitive chord: m7, m7, m7, etc.

b) any two of them, which is repeated in any order: maj7-m7, maj7-m7 etc.

c) all three in any order: maj7- X7- m7; maj7- X7- m7; maj7- X7- m7; etc.

3. Each letter is the root of chord

4. The harmonic scheme created by moving from letter to letter in any direction which are indicated by arrows, and also reverse.

5. It's possible "to get stuck" two times on the same root, changing the type of chords: Dm7-G7 - G maj7

6. Like a tourist in a new for him city map can be used in two ways:

a) Start to walk from any letter on the arrows - streets to neighboring letter in any directions to see where it will lead in the end.

b) To choose the target in advance, and then find the path leading to it .

Rectangular frame in the center of the diagram can be moved up - down.

Surprises guaranteed!

Last edited by Nahum; 05/30/15 04:26 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gracegren
The All Inclusive, All Genre Lick, gets into other genres near the end. And even soundtrack clips on the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDxhnaKD7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKL2It6XzHA

- thanks muchly for that - I had a really good laugh.

Ronnie Scott who had an acidic sense of humour chose from a regular stock of one-liners he threw nightly at his jazz club audiences. One of his favourites: "...our food is the best in town, forty-thousand flies can't be wrong".

It makes fun of the idea that popularity and merit are somehow connected.

So, I'm wondering, could this be the best jazz lick ever? Lol!

G
G
Could be the best jazz lick ever. shocked
I better learn it with extensions in all 12 keys, quick, LOL.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
All of which goes someway towards answering the question; is jazz really a freely improvised music or is to some extent learnt by rote?

If it were freely improvised, would all these supposedly great players really find themselves playing the same lick/s? The mathematicians/statisticians could give a more reliable answer but I have my own suspicions.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dire tonic

If it were freely improvised, would all these supposedly great players really find themselves playing the same lick/s? The mathematicians/statisticians could give a more reliable answer but I have my own suspicions.

This question is for psychobiologists - Noam Chomsky, Steven Pinker. According to their hypothesis, the human brain is a computer, consisting of autonomous units. His intellectual part based genetically. If improvisation is required for survival of the individual and it is written in the genes, the total spontaneous improvisation is disadvantageous in terms of evolution and adaptation to the environment; and our genes simply do not allow this to happen - regardless of various slogans; for example of Derek Bailey (non idiomatic improve).

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
This video of I V vi IV chord songs has been posted here before. I thought it was pretty funny the first time I saw it

Search in youtube on:
Axis of Awesome - 4 Four Chord Song, 40 Songs, Same Chords

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
I asked for ideas for cliches. I just wrote a little toon (I know it's tune) filled with II's and V's. I don't really think they're cliches. I think that somehow they're part of the DNA of western music. Applied musical physics somehow comes up with II V I's.

I'm sharing this stuff because I'm viewing this as our virtual living room and we're having a cyber workshop. Hopefully.

Anyway here is my piece "2N5".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwmb4fojmf86bxw/2N5Mp3.mp3?dl=0

I scanned the written script. Pages 1 and 2. Page 2 is upside down on the scanner.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38191102/MusicScripts/2N5page1.PDF

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38191102/MusicScripts/2N5page2.PDF

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
There was a problem with the link above for the audio to "2N5".

This one should work...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38191102/MusicalIllustrations/2N5Mp3.mp3

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
fun topic

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I just listened to 2N5 (again). Not sure if I've suggested in past that it sounds sort of like a Herbie Nichols tune. But it occurred to me that it sounds like a 1950s Charles Mingus kind of tune as well. It really just depends on how you hear it and what you've been listening to in the past. But either of those suggestions come, very very obviously, from my listening experience. Mileage and perception will vary according to what you've been listening to ...

However. One might say to the extent that ii-V is a cliche the kind of harmony you're using in 2N5 is very 1950s sounding. In other words a cliche of the 50s.

In the 60s with Wayne Shorter and John Coltrane harmony started to open up and become much less dependent on ii-Vs. Modality became the fashion of the times as well as chord connections that weren't ii-V based. A good place to see this are in the Wayne Shorter tunes in the Real Book. You can hear it in Wayne Shorter Blue Note recordings from that period (the 60s).

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Mark Polishook
I just listened to 2N5 (again). Not sure if I've suggested in past that it sounds sort of like a Herbie Nichols tune. But it occurred to me that it sounds like a 1950s Charles Mingus kind of tune as well.

In the 60s with Wayne Shorter and John Coltrane harmony started to open up and become much less dependent on ii-Vs. Modality became the fashion of the times as well as chord connections that weren't ii-V based. A good place to see this are in the Wayne Shorter tunes in the Real Book. You can hear it in Wayne Shorter Blue Note recordings from that period (the 60s).

Thanks Mark for the observations. The two main things I think learned from this thread I'd say are 1) the experience of writing "2N5" and 2) Herbie Nichols' music. Amazing that every time I read something about him it goes something like like "sadly ignored". I wonder what didn't happen to bring him more public awareness. And he's a very fluent player. He did die at 44 from Lukemia I read.

Oh, and listening to Herbie play "Lady Sings The Blues" I noticed a partial James Bond chromatically ascending 5th, except that he doesn't move it back down. I'm not familiar (need to look it up) with the original version. I suppose it has the same movement.

I thought this was a nice composition of his:

Last edited by indigo_dave; 06/28/15 05:13 PM.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission