2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I have researched so much in the last day, after making this purchase. Our daughter just started lessons this year, and we needed to get a new digital/ or acoustic piano. She is 7.
We decided a beginner piano is best. We were set to spend about 1,000 on a digital, and decided on a J Strauss small console. From the paperwork it is 10 yrs old, though I would like to verify that. Looked in great condition, and were able to get for a good price , said it retailed at 6,000. was selling for 2200, but we got it less. Now, I read some negative things about the brand, and some good things. I coming to find out I guess it was a stencil brand, from East Coast Piano. Which is now out of business?, but we bought from the piano store in Edison, which I think is the son of the original owner of one of ECP stores?
Anyway, do any of you own one?? Please keep in mind we know this is not a top of a line brand, but figured it looked in great condition, so thought we could always upgrade in a few years or more if our daughter stays serious.
Thoughts? We already purchased, and being delivered in a few days. Also, how do I really verify the year made. We have the serial number.
Thanks!! We had a great experience there, but just curious about the piano.

Last edited by pianolover2015; 05/31/15 08:17 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm sorry to have to say this, but they are really junky pianos. I've played on several. I had a student that had one. It needed constant fixing. Keys would become really hard to press. The tech, an RPT, would come and fix it and less than a year later all the same problems would come back.

You'd be better off with just about anything else. I hope it's not to late for you to back out! Sorry again...

P
OP Offline
P
Ugg...It sounded so beautiful!

Last edited by pianolover2015; 05/31/15 09:34 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you can't, you've lost a little money. Fortunately, just a little money. If your young one takes to piano, you can upgrade in short order.

The lesson is to do a bit more of your research before pulling the trigger instead of after. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Good luck!

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
If you can't, you've lost a little money. Fortunately, just a little money. If your young one takes to piano, you can upgrade in short order.

The lesson is to do a bit more of your research before pulling the trigger instead of after. smile

Well. I usually do!!!!!First thing we did on a whim. But we went out looking for a digital, and figured we would just look at the pianos. It was in our budget, and we have been told its best for our daughter to use a real piano instead of digital. We just didnt want to really invest in much, well, because she is only 6. There was a Baldwin same price, but over 25 years old and didnt look in great shape. We knew from her teacher to be cautious, but seemed like a great starter piano.

Last edited by pianolover2015; 05/31/15 10:18 PM.
P
OP Offline
P

Also, you didn't say if you had experience with this brand ? smile I just heard from someone who bought this brand years ago, and they said they loved it!

Yes, you're right. I have not played it personally (but Dan has). And I suspect it could be a fine starter piano if the action is anywhere close to consistent. But if you look through threads here, I think you will see a highly critical reaction to the seemingly very deceptive marketing practices of that stencil. Like many of us, you may conclude that it was a very low-price-point Chinese stencil marketed heavily to make it seem like a more "valuable" (hence higher priced) piano than it was.

I have played other entry-level Chinese uprights. Even the new ones were usually quite poor in quality.

P
OP Offline
P
Yes, you're right. I have not played it personally (but Dan has). And I suspect it could be a fine starter piano if the action is anywhere close to consistent. But if you look through threads here, I think you will see a highly critical reaction to the seemingly very deceptive marketing practices of that stencil. Like many of us, you may conclude that it was a very low-price-point Chinese stencil marketed heavily to make it seem like a more "valuable" (hence higher priced) piano than it was.

I have played other entry-level Chinese uprights. Even the new ones were usually quite poor in quality.

I hear ya! I must agree if we were spending more then 4,000 I don't think we would buy a stencil brand period. My daughter won't be playing anything too intricate on it as she is such a beginner. Just hoping now it will last us at least a few years.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianolover2015
My daughter won't be playing anything too intricate on it as she is such a beginner. Just hoping now it will last us at least a few years.

This is a sensible approach. Even better, assume the best until proven otherwise. In the facts that concern you column you have the following:

The piano sounded beautiful.

You got a price you considered acceptable.

You had a good experience with the shop.

Now you're plying the Internet where you can find anything you want from ratings tables configured to make an obscure brand shine to comments from people that the thing you bought is most likely a piece of junk. Along the way you might find that the company that started the brand was formerly selling aluminum siding, then stencil pianos, and has now moved on to solar energy and whole house water filtration. Or maybe that the founder is a descendant of Simon Legree.

Many people have a low tolerance of stencil pianos, especially those from China. And a stncil brand that pilfers the name of a treasured Viennese hero is the worst transgression imaginable.

I'd suggest that, based on what pertinent facts you actually have, you not try to nix the deal based on buyer's remorse, but anticipate that the thing will still sound beautiful when delivered and that any key easing necessary will be routine maintenance.

I have one question for you.

Do you have any kind of warranty from the shop?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by turandot
Originally Posted by pianolover2015
My daughter won't be playing anything too intricate on it as she is such a beginner. Just hoping now it will last us at least a few years.

This is a sensible approach. Even better, assume the best until proven otherwise. In the facts that concern you column you have the following:

The piano sounded beautiful.

You got a price you considered acceptable.

You had a good experience with the shop.

Now you're plying the Internet where you can find anything you want from ratings tables configured to make an obscure brand shine to comments from people that the thing you bought is most likely a piece of junk. Along the way you might find that the company that started the brand was formerly selling aluminum siding, then stencil pianos, and has now moved on to solar energy and whole house water filtration. Or maybe that the founder is a descendant of Simon Legree.

Many people have a low tolerance of stencil pianos, especially those from China. And a stncil brand that pilfers the name of a treasured Viennese hero is the worst transgression imaginable.

I'd suggest that, based on what pertinent facts you actually have, you not try to nix the deal based on buyer's remorse, but anticipate that the thing will still sound beautiful when delivered and that any key easing necessary will be routine maintenance.

I have one question for you.

Do you have any kind of warranty from the shop?

Thank you! I think too much sometimes. Yes! 3 year, and he said we can return or trade in any time . We felt good with the entire deal. Plus, it really wasn't a big investment. We just want it to work and sound good. If she sticks with it, we can move on to a better piano when she turn 10 , or even older . We just had a good feeling about it.

Last edited by pianolover2015; 06/01/15 05:22 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Three years give you something as long as the shop stays in business. It's much better to approach them (if necessary) as a fussy buyer than a customer trying to back out of a deal.

Props to you for getting your daughter into music-making.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
P
OP Offline
P
The son has been in business 8 yrs, but a family business over 30 yrs I think.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission